Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One thing I do like about Smartphones

So I was doing some studying Spanish so I decided to surf the net a bit to relax.    I go to  IG and Cory Henry is streaming his soundcheck and I caught two or three tunes.     Starting to see things like that more artist just flipping on their smartphone and streaming soundchecks.  Some of the Jazz pianists will put their smartphone on the end of their keyboard and stream a gig.   Sharing fresh organic music nothing fancy just some live playing.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

If only they were advancing audio as much and at the same pace as camera quality in Smartphones.

Have you heard the audio off a newer iPhone? 

It's astoundingly good. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

1 hour ago, analogika said:

I think more Smartphones in the hands of Dumbusers all need "Audio off"...

...Just wish I could activate it from MY phone...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I got into how good a iPhone can sound from guitarist who used to post solo Jazz guitar videos almost daily.    The sound was great as well as video and people asked what his setup was.   It was just a iPhone with one of the Shure or Zoom iPhone mic's that just plug into the phone.   Then a tiny practice amp behind it, the sound was excellent better than some albums.   

They are a great practice tool just hit record and go.   

5 hours ago, analogika said:

It's astoundingly good. 

That is good news to read. I have not been in a situation for this to be pointed out (until now) and for me to hear the current quality so this is news to me. I was going by all of the bad sounding videos around. All I had read was that the good sounding videos were typically a marriage between a Smartphone or other camera and the audio recording from either a high quality digital SLR or one of the quality portable digital audio recording devices. In the case of the quality audio coming from a high quality digital SLR the video was frequently captured simultaneously, as one might expect.

An aside, I have heard some amazingly good quality audio sourced to DSLRs but what frequently kills them are the people in the immediate vicinity of the recorder. They are there to see a performance yet they talk and socialize through the whole show. So people are never present wherever they are.

16 hours ago, Docbop said:

I got into how good a iPhone can sound from guitarist who used to post solo Jazz guitar videos almost daily.    The sound was great as well as video and people asked what his setup was.   It was just a iPhone with one of the Shure or Zoom iPhone mic's that just plug into the phone.

For quick/ad hoc direct recording of keyboards, I use an iRig Stream.  RCA plugs out of my mixer go to the Stream, then the proprietary cable that came from iRig goes to the iPhone's lightning connector.  Versus using an open mic or the phone itself -- especially for use with keyboards (with no vocals) -- you don't pick up any background sounds or the thumping of any keys.  You can record video &  audio at the same time, and the quality is great.  It takes extra fees to export audio as WAV files, but there's no charge for M4A audio out (and that's what I've done).  The audio quality on recorded iPhone videos is much improved too (as I used to hate the "key noises" I used to get...)

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs