Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your thoughts on: "Best guitar audio interfaces 2022: 12 top picks for every budget"

What are your thoughts, your input on the following article, and it's general topic?

Best guitar audio interfaces 2022: 12 top picks for every budget By Chris Schwarten for GuitarWorld dot com

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have the UA Apollo Twin MKII & it's a fully pro high end piece of gear. I haven't yet used it as a guitar interface, just for location recording gigs of various size ensembles. Can't comment on any of the others. But I notice a major gaffe in the description of the Volt 176, which misidentifies the 1176 compressor as a Neve unit. It's like referring to a Chevy Mustang in Car & Driver magazine. Makes me wonder just how valuable any of these interface comparisons are, or are they just regurgitating the manufacturers ad copy.

• Like 2
Scott Fraser

30 minutes ago, Scott Fraser said:

But I notice a major gaffe in the description of the Volt 176, which misidentifies the 1176 compressor as a Neve unit. It's like referring to a Chevy Mustang in Car & Driver magazine. Makes me wonder just how valuable any of these interface comparisons are, or are they just regurgitating the manufacturers ad copy.

THAAANK~YOU!! Good points, well put.

When I can, I'll be shopping in the lower end of that price range; my needs will be pretty simple- I just want to be able to make relatively basic sonic sketches, experiments and rough working demos. I also need to simply document ideas so that I'll preserve more and lose fewer of them due to forgetting!

I am incredibly green, wet-behind-the-ears, not even a novice when it comes to recording.

• Like 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I miss my Layla 24/96 a big bunch. I now have a Presonus https://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-68c interface hooked to my Win 10 DAW and for my old XP laptop DAW I have a Behringer UMC202HD https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0BJZ. Both work well enough.

But The Layla is my all time favorite although I don't have the hardware any more.

• Like 1

Guitar is my primary instrument. I love to record. 

I have a Steinberg 2 channel interface, got it used for about $130.

It's USB 2 so it should work with just about any computer. They recently updated the software for Apple Silicon.

Yamaha owns them, they tend to produce solid reliable stuffs. 

It's not a "guitar interface" and I don't think that matters one hoot. It sounds good, the noise floor is low and it has a blend knob which allows you to control the volume of your audio signal pre-conversion balanced against the stuff the interface is playing back for you to play along with. 

That means, zero latency even if your computer is pig-ass slow (mine isn't any more).

If you have good pedals or a couple of decent guitar and bass plugins, that's all you need to get good tones. You can mic your amp, that works too. 

Guitar interface is just marketing bling. If you are selling Amplitube, throwing it in with an interface is a great way to get more users. Amplitube does sound good, so does Native Instruments Guitar Rig and all sorts of stuffs. 

FWIW, I also have a Presonus Quantum TB2 8 channel interface and it works well for guitar too. It just happens that I am currently using the Steinberg and Caevan is looking for something affordable. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the MOTU stuff either - probably other brands as well. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

15 hours ago, Scott Fraser said:

But I notice a major gaffe in the description of the Volt 176, which misidentifies the 1176 compressor as a Neve unit. It's like referring to a Chevy Mustang in Car & Driver magazine. Makes me wonder just how valuable any of these interface comparisons are, or are they just regurgitating the manufacturers ad copy.

Mistakenly referring to the wrong brand in such an iconic product is a bit baffling. I'm fairly certain that Universal Audio did not refer to the 1176 as a "Neve" product in their promotional copy. Full disclosure: I work for Premier Guitar magazine, and I'll be the first to admit that we've made our fair share of gaffes over the years. But we always try to correct our mistakes promptly. 

• Like 4

I actually read the "article". 

My choice from this group, considering price since Caevan mentions starting out and going low budget - would be the Audient iD4 MkII.

I'd probably look for a reputable seller with a returned item or some such slightly used goodie. 

I don't worry about MIDI inputs and outputs, most computers can run MIDI from a USB socket. I have an X-Key 25 that is USB only and it works great for anything I'll ever need. 

I've gotten good results using an amp with a mic, a Tech 21 Sansamp pedal (they make many flavors, I like the Double Drive) and using plugins on the computer. 

Plugin Alliance sells the Chandler GAV19T guitar amp plugin and if you watch their sales you can get it cheap. They have a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme 50 plugin too and same deal, wait for the sales. If you want a bass amp, the Amplitude CS is free and you can get IK's Ampeg 2 plugin with an SVT and one of the 15 watt flip tops on sale and you are more or less covered at that point for guitar and bass. 

Vocals? Shop EvilBay for an EV ND767, I found a pair of them for $60 delivered including tax. Best $30 mic you'll ever buy for vocals. Just about any mic stand will work for home use, the cheap ones will die at your 3rd or 4th gig. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

My choice from this group, considering price since Caevan mentions starting out and going low budget - would be the Audient iD4 MkII.

I have an original iD4.  Fine choice.

The SSL 2 is my current favorite inexpensive interface.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

57 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

I have an original iD4.  Fine choice.

The SSL 2 is my current favorite inexpensive interface.

dB

I've read good things about the SSL gear. 

I'm happy with my Steinberg UR22 Mk Ii, it sounds good and gets the job done. I have a Presonus Quantum TB2 with 8 mic/line inputs that I like a lot too but it's in a big heavy rack and not very portable. The Steinberg and my laptop will fit in a laptop carry bag with cords, a mic or two and maybe a pedal. That, headphones and a mic stand is all you need to record anywhere.

I found a Focusrite Scarlett used at one of the local shops.

I've been hesitating a bit, since I'm running Linux Mint-technically

nothing is supported. I have plugins downloaded, ready to make some music.

I don't want to start everything up and find out I can't do anything.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

3 hours ago, skipclone 1 said:

I found a Focusrite Scarlett used at one of the local shops.

I've been hesitating a bit, since I'm running Linux Mint-technically

nothing is supported. I have plugins downloaded, ready to make some music.

I don't want to start everything up and find out I can't do anything.

Do a test run, jump in and goof off to see what you can get done. 

Install a DAW (Waveform Free is Linux friendly, has been tested on Ubuntu) - https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform-free

Go to settings/audio and check if it can connect with your Scarlet.

If you can lay down and play back tracks you're in.  

• Like 1