Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dolly Parton withdraws her nomination for RRHOF

1 hour ago, HSS said:

She's honest and cool.

...That's true; and quite accomplished and very talented -- and also "country".

But not really "Rock and Roll", the way I think of the genre; and I wonder if she feels the same way...

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

This thread made me remember the time Dolly was on the old Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.   They were talking and Johnny sez...   I'd pay anything to see if those things are real.    Only Carson could get away with that back then. 

Dolly Parton is a country artist through and through, so why the hell would she even be considered for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame anyhow?

I have never liked Dolly Parton however, her type of country music has never appealed to me. If I want to hear a good country band, I can put on one of my old Grateful Dead albums any day.

Dionne Warwick had an interesting observation in the article:

Warwick, 81, had a similar qualm. “I’m not a rock ‘n’ roller,” she said during an appearance on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen on Sunday, March 13. “The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as I grew to know it many, many years ago, was specifically for rock ‘n’ roll acts. … I feel now, especially when I hear Dolly Parton’s being nominated — which I’m thrilled for — they should rename the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Call it the Music Hall of Fame. Now that they bring so many other genres into it, why not?”

10 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

Dolly Parton is a country artist through and through, so why the hell would she even be considered for Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame anyhow?

I have never liked Dolly Parton however, her type of country music has never appealed to me. If I want to hear a good country band, I can put on one of my old Grateful Dead albums any day.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has been a joke for decades. 

Whitney Houston made a butt-load of money for Dolly by singing "I Will Always Love You", which Dolly wrote. But Whitney Houston is not rock and roll either.

I saw the Dead when Pigpen was still the organist, lukewarm at best and certainly not a country band. I did listen to Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, without Jerry's background as a banjo and pedal steel player they never would have gotten anywhere with it. Still not Merle Haggard or Willie Nelson, not by a long shot. 

Try Emmylou Harris' album - Quarter Moon In A Ten Cent Town, that's country and the band was second to none (used to be Elvis' band). There's a Dolly song on that too, she's written a ton of great tunes and done very well with them. "9 to 5" was the theme for a successful movie and "Islands In The Stream" was a big hit for her and Kenny Rogers. She has a track record that the Dead could only wish for, plus she's not a group of stoned, semi competent slack jaw hippies. 😇

• Like 2
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

59 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

There's a Dolly song on that too, she's written a ton of great tunes and done very well with them. "9 to 5" was the theme for a successful movie and "Islands In The Stream" was a big hit for her and Kenny Rogers. 

In the interest of accuracy, "Islands in the Stream" was written by the Bee Gees in their search for musical partners after their over-exposure with Saturday Night Fever. Loved Dolly as a brilliant songwriter though, ever since Jolene. 

I give prop's to Dolly for doing what she has done.   

Reality is Country turned into Rock-n-Roll ages ago.  Over the hill rockers discovered a second life in Country music and it's been escalating ever since.   I know Country musicians today who don't even like what I would call traditional County like Merle, Waylon, Jones, Buck, and etc.    Country has become Rock with boots. 

FWIW I've been musically impressed by the live Dolly Parton performance below since the first time I saw it many years ago. I confess that prior to accidentally seeing this performance, I just assumed Dolly was a generic celebrity who got ahead based on her obvious twin assets.

Although some may think the song below is overly sentimental and cheesy, IMHO Dolly's performance of it is close to flawless with near perfect vocal pitch, guitar fingerpicking, and meter.  The one step up key change at ~1':30" is very smooth.  And she's playing guitar with those insane fingernails.  Dolly is not only a prolific songwriter but IMO her vocal skills and musicianship are underappreciated.  

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I completely agree about Dolly's vocal skills, musicianship, and songwriting abilities. She's a real professional. She's country; she's not rock 'n' roll. Dolly quotes:

“It costs a lot of money to look this cheap.”

“I’m not offended by all of the dumb blonde jokes because I know I’m not dumb… and I also know that I’m not blonde.”

“I look like a woman but I think like a man. I’ve done business with men who think I’m as silly as I look. By the time they realize I’m not, I’ve got the money and gone.”

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has been a joke for decades. 

Finally someone else who agrees with me.  There are so many great bands that should be in the RRHOF but for someone reason aren't.  Case in point: Toto.  In terms of their own music, they've had major success worldwide with Africa, Rosanna, and Hold The Line, in addition to a large following in Europe and Japan (when they're on tour in Japan they get recognized in the street), and the members of the band have played on 100s of hit records that came out of LA from the early 70s until today, yet for some reason they have yet to be nominated for anything. (my guess is that like Dolly, they'd probably turn down the induction, like they turned down the cover of Rolling Stone back in the day)  Other bands that have been snubbed from the RRHOF are The Doobie Brothers, Steve Winwood, George Michael, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, etc.  (I could go on)

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

3 hours ago, Tusker said:

In the interest of accuracy, "Islands in the Stream" was written by the Bee Gees in their search for musical partners after their over-exposure with Saturday Night Fever. Loved Dolly as a brilliant songwriter though, ever since Jolene. 

Fair enough and thanks for keeping this real. Dolly's version is the one I heard on the radio about a zillion times, and I liked it. 😇

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Maybe you guys can find someone, but a quick Google search didn't turn up anyone else who's actually turned down a RRHOF nomination or induction. Attending the ceremony yeah - but they all seem to be ok with inclusion into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Dolly truly has the courage to do it her way. 

What she turned down was the nomination, not the actual induction. It's a long list of artists from which a few will be chosen somehow (RRHOF sh*t). 

Both the Doobie Brothers and Depeche Mode are in the RRHOF (2020) and because they're still actively touring I imagine Toto would be happy to be included too - helps with ticket sales and all. They're playing the Moda Center (Portland) in a couple of weeks, and there's still seats available - for as little as $45. I'm thinking about going. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bill H. said:

I imagine Toto would be happy to be included too - helps with ticket sales and all. They're playing the Moda Center (Portland) in a couple of weeks, and there's still seats available - for as little as $45. I'm thinking about going. 

I went to the show that they did with Journey at the Prudential Center a few weeks ago, also payed around that price for the tickets, and it was a great concert, both bands still have got 'it.'  (Although Toto sounded way tighter than Journey imo)

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper