Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help with my Casio CTK900 :(

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

If the computer detects the cable, that’s a good sign. I wouldn’t expect the computer to detect “Casio CTK900” or anything like that.

What software are you trying to use?

Cheers, Mike

Oh thank you so much I was stressing because I thought my computer didn't detect anything. So I'm using MPC beats because I could run it easily on my PC but I want to know if there is any better option.

Audio programs and DAWs usually have a midi tab in a preference menu. You usually have to select the keyboard you are using from a short list. That CTK will probably only send note data so it will only play virtual instruments like piano from within a host program. As for recieving midi data, I think the CTK only received song file info and maybe some instructional play along data. I dont think you can play its various internal sounds from a computer program. The CTK is very limited in its midi capabilities. I would just use it as a fun portable keyboard and get a midi controller to use with a computer. The $150 you spend on a controller will save you in headaches and frustration.

FunMachine.

4 hours ago, EVC said:

You may try to install MIDI-OX to try to check if the keyboard is sending MIDI events. Or the demo version of Pianoteq (Pteq has a tool that shows MIDI events).

What make/model is the MIDI-USB cable adapter?

Ok so my keyboard detects the output signals and when I play something in a digital piano I can hear it from my keyboard, but I downloaded MIDI-OX and I think my PC doesn't detect my keyboar's input.

The cable adapter is from OTraki, I bought it from Amazon. 

Thank you so much by the way!

1 hour ago, RangutanMF said:

Ok so my keyboard detects the output signals and when I play something in a digital piano I can hear it from my keyboard, but I downloaded MIDI-OX and I think my PC doesn't detect my keyboar's input

Is it possible you accidentally plugged the midi cables into the wrong jacks?  Maybe you accidentally plugged the one that sends midi from the computer to the keyboard into the keyboard's midi out, and plugged the cable that sends midi to the computer into the keyboard's midi in.  (No shame in that, happens to the best of us, once in the fever of setting up for a gig I plugged the 1/4" cable going to the PA into the sustain pedal jack and then spent the entire soundcheck trying to figure out why the sound was only coming out of the internal speakers)

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

5 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

Is it possible you accidentally plugged the midi cables into the wrong jacks?  Maybe you accidentally plugged the one that sends midi from the computer to the keyboard into the keyboard's midi out, and plugged the cable that sends midi to the computer into the keyboard's midi in.  (No shame in that, happens to the best of us, once in the fever of setting up for a gig I plugged the 1/4" cable going to the PA into the sustain pedal jack and then spent the entire soundcheck trying to figure out why the sound was only coming out of the internal speakers)

I think I plugged everything correctly, MIDI out is in MIDI in and MIDI in is in MIDI out, I don't know if there could be any other problem.

Thanks for being nice by the way :)

14 minutes ago, RangutanMF said:

I think I plugged everything correctly, MIDI out is in MIDI in and MIDI in is in MIDI out, I don't know if there could be any other problem.

Thanks for being nice by the way :)

No problem!  Welcome to our community!

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

15 minutes ago, RangutanMF said:

Do you know what could be the problem? I plugged everything alright and the output works fine but as I said before my PC doesn't detect de input :(

It's possible that you have a faulty cable, never heard of the brand Otraki before, so I have no idea if their stuff is any good.  If you can, try using a different midi cable or interface with the same PC, if that works, than your cable is bad, if not, then it is a problem either with your PC or the midi out jack on the casio.  Did you try using different USB ports?  Sometimes, depending on the port, it way be internally wired to a different USB controller.  (this can be a problem, I know that a friend of mine had a USB interface that when plugged into a certain set of USB ports on his computer it would have crackling noises, after looking up the motherboard's manual we found out that the problem port was wired to the Marvel USB controller, but the Intel USB controller worked fine)

If you are expecting your pc to see the keyboard as a drive or other usb peripheral device, it doesnt work that way. You will not get an icon on tour tool bar and you will not get an icon on your list of drives or in the my computer folder.  Your midi keyboard will only show up in a DAW program or a midi host program. 

It doesnt seem like you know this. If I'm wrong my apologies. 

FunMachine.