Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend IEM’s for gigs (upgrade from Shure SE215)

Hi,

I’ve been using a pair of Shure SE215 IEM’s over the past few years at gigs but have recently lost them and need a replacement. The 215’s have been fine but I’m interested in getting something better. The Shure SE535’s are a consideration but as they have been around for 12+ years I’m wondering if there is anything better than these around  £300?

What would you recommend?

I like my Westone AM Pro 30s. They are ported to allow stage volume at -15dB. I usually just have keyboards and vocals in my mix and can hear drums, bass and guitars at a comfortable level. I use a Rolls PM55P headphone amp that has a limiter from protection from volume spikes. Another option is this passive limiter.

https://preservear.com/

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I think I posted in the Recent Purchase thread my experience with $50 chi-fi 5-driver IEMs.  TL:DR they are way better than they have any right to be.  Too good and too cheap to pass up.  I now go back and forth between them (when I want bass) and my Westone AM Pro 30s (when I want ambient).

• Like 1

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

4 hours ago, cphollis said:

I think I posted in the Recent Purchase thread my experience with $50 chi-fi 5-driver IEMs.  TL:DR they are way better than they have any right to be.  Too good and too cheap to pass up.  I now go back and forth between them (when I want bass) and my Westone AM Pro 30s (when I want ambient).

Wow a 5 driver IEM for $50!? Sounds too good to be true. However, there are a LOT of good reviews on these! 
I am very interested to know how these compare to the Shure SE215’s and SE535’s.

I’ve been doing some quite a bit of reading it would appear these are quite an improvement in audio quality over the Shure SE215’s! A lot of users have commented that the audio quality can be improved by upgrading the cable to an 8 core model and getting better tips.

I noticed that they also make a 6 and 8 driver model which looks very promising.

Another Westone fan here.  I got a $300 US pair a  couple of years ago, on sale for $190.   They include a replaceable cable, and came with a fairly comprehensive set of inserts for small-to-large ears, in both isolation and  passthrough configurations.  300 pounds should get a very nice set indeed.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Thanks Tom,

I think I’ve narrowed my list down to :-

KZ ZS10 Pro

KZ AS12

KZ AS16

Shure SE535

Understandably it’s not possible to try out these and return them if you don’t like them so I’m trying to find any reviews/comparisons between these.

Wow, thought maybe a couple of these posts were me :)  I have used my 215s for hundreds of gigs now and am thinking about an upgrade.  I have recently started using a Rolls pm55P as well, have researched several Westone models, and also own 5-driver KZ models.

I'm surprised more "get customs" advice hasn't appeared.  I did that a few years back, and found that I couldn't sing with mine.  However, many people find that customs are the way to go, so perhaps I somehow got a bad fit or pair.   I also don't find them particularly comfortable, they are very bulky.

As far as my chi-fi earbuds:  I don't care for the sound.   They work, and they are currently the pair I keep in my backup gear case, but the sound is too bright and harsh for my taste.  I've tried a number of tips as I thought perhaps the seal wasn't good but it didn't help.   Also, the cord that came with it was basically braided fishing line, which tangles constantly and easily.  So I upgraded the cord to a thicker one that doesn't tangle; that's 20-30 bucks of extra expense.   As with customs, I'm going against the grain here as I read a LOT of good reviews before I bought them.  It's odd that I'd think something was "too bright" considering I know I've lost a bit of high end on my hearing.

I'm debating the Westone AM vs UM series.  Right now Sweetwater and other spots have a sale on UM Pro 50s, and I've seen the AM Pros on sale as well.  We don't have any stage amps anymore, just acoustic drums, but those can be plenty loud if I happen to be right next to them.   I'm leaning toward the 25db down of the UMs.

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

Wow, thought maybe a couple of these posts were me :)  I have used my 215s for hundreds of gigs now and am thinking about an upgrade.  I have recently started using a Rolls pm55P as well, have researched several Westone models, and also own 5-driver KZ models.

I'm surprised more "get customs" advice hasn't appeared.  I did that a few years back, and found that I couldn't sing with mine.  However, many people find that customs are the way to go, so perhaps I somehow got a bad fit or pair.   I also don't find them particularly comfortable, they are very bulky.

As far as my chi-fi earbuds:  I don't care for the sound.   They work, and they are currently the pair I keep in my backup gear case, but the sound is too bright and harsh for my taste.  I've tried a number of tips as I thought perhaps the seal wasn't good but it didn't help.   Also, the cord that came with it was basically braided fishing line, which tangles constantly and easily.  So I upgraded the cord to a thicker one that doesn't tangle; that's 20-30 bucks of extra expense.   As with customs, I'm going against the grain here as I read a LOT of good reviews before I bought them.  It's odd that I'd think something was "too bright" considering I know I've lost a bit of high end on my hearing.

I'm debating the Westone AM vs UM series.  Right now Sweetwater and other spots have a sale on UM Pro 50s, and I've seen the AM Pros on sale as well.  We don't have any stage amps anymore, just acoustic drums, but those can be plenty loud if I happen to be right next to them.   I'm leaning toward the 25db down of the UMs.

Which 5 driver KZ models have you tried? Apparently the latest ZS10 Pro is a noticeable improvement over the previous 5 driver models. Also, they make 6 and 8 driver models now.

I did consider Westone but my colleagues all prefer the Shure SE535’s. One of them picked up the SE535’s direct from Shure for £179 which is a great price but when I looked at the website it said £379. Perhaps there was a special offer on?

The SE215’s I had were actually pretty good. I did find they lacked a little depth of bass and detail. Also, the soundstage could be better but useable for a live gig. 

1 hour ago, Stokely said:

FWIW, I have the Westone AM Pro 30s and set up right next to the drummer on the hi-hat side.  I need to turn up the hi hat in my monitor mix to sufficiently hear it.  I did get custom earmolds which greatly improved the seal.

• Like 1

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

1 hour ago, dickiefunk said:

Which 5 driver KZ models have you tried? Apparently the latest ZS10 Pro is a noticeable improvement over the previous 5 driver models. Also, they make 6 and 8 driver models now.

I did consider Westone but my colleagues all prefer the Shure SE535’s. One of them picked up the SE535’s direct from Shure for £179 which is a great price but when I looked at the website it said £379. Perhaps there was a special offer on?

The SE215’s I had were actually pretty good. I did find they lacked a little depth of bass and detail. Also, the soundstage could be better but useable for a live gig. 

I have the ZS10 pro iirc, at the time I bought them there was a six driver available but I read some comments and reviews that they were pretty bulky.   Everyone seemed to love the ones I got, including a friend of mine that bought right after me.  So I might just be the oddball here :)   Other than the tangle-ridden cable they don't seem cheap and they do work, I just prefer the 215s over them sound-wise.  They have a brash harshness to them that fatigues my ears over the course of a gig (I think I used them for 5 or 6 gigs before going back to the 215s).

Shure seems to be more expensive than Westone, driver to driver for what it's worth, but I'd be getting whatever I get on sale in any case.   I would agree with your assessment with the 215s.  They work, they don't sound fantastic but then you have to consider the source (often a mono monitor mix).  The only issues I have had was fixed by a new cable, I had a crackle on one side and the visible copper inside the clear wires was turning a lovely shade of mottled plague green :D 

On 3/14/2022 at 9:52 AM, Stokely said:

As far as my chi-fi earbuds:  I don't care for the sound.   They work, and they are currently the pair I keep in my backup gear case, but the sound is too bright and harsh for my taste.  

Same here, not my preferred sound either, but for $50 I can ride the EQ a bit.  They also seem to get better as they get broken in with maybe 20 hours of use, or I just stopped noticing.  Either way, I'm still using my Westone AM Pro 30s as I like that for gigging.  Rehearsals, jams, couch, etc. -- they're fine for me.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Thought I’d post an update to what I ended up going for and how I’m getting on.

After a lot of deliberating and reading loads of reviews, one of the top touring sound engineers I know recommended the KZ ZS10Pro. I chose the newer (refined 2022 model) ZS10 Pro-X and I have to say I’m extremely impressed with these! Compared to my previous SE215’s with custom mould sleeves, I find the KZ’s exceed those in clarity, imaging, soundstage and bass extension. They also have great build quality and I find they fit even better than the custom moulds on my SE215’s! I changed the tips to the foam Comply ones and these really cut down bleed from other instruments on stage.
The only negative is the cable is a bit thin and tangles easily. I replaced this with a high quality 16core cable which works great! I also bought a case and the Comply tips I mentioned earlier. 

Since getting them I’ve come across loads of pro musicians that are very happily using and recommending them! 

On the gigs I’ve done using these, I can hear everything so much clearer and richer than the SE215’s. The bass and piano don’t sound thin and nasally anymore and the extra details I’m hearing in the voices on my CP88 is wonderful. I can hear the hammer noise in the Hamburg grand really clearly like I hear through my Neumann monitors and I’m hearing more nuances in the vocals.

The ZS10 Pro-X has really exceeded my expectations in every regard so far and I’m really looking forward to seeing/hearing how KZ continue to develop and refine this model!

• Like 1

I'm currently using the Kz Zex 1 cheap in-ear headphones after my high-end custom-molded in-ear monitors unfortunately stopped working. The custom-molded sleeves of my previous in-ears tended to become uncomfortable after prolonged use during gigs.

My band-mates have invested in high-end multi-driver in-ear monitors worth 1000+ euros. As a former audiophile, I used to constantly seek audio upgrades, but now I've shifted my focus to simply enjoying the music.

Despite being budget-friendly, I must admit that the Kz Zex 1 provides me with great audio quality. It offers better instrument separation, a more pleasant sound signature, and it performs admirably well during gigs. In fact, I find the audio quality to be more than sufficient for the in-ear sound.

• Like 2

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

I've used lots of Linsoul/KZ IEMs - ZS6, ZS10, AS10, AS12, and now the ZAX. I keep two pair fitted with the upgraded cables and Comply tips in my gig pack, along with the original tips and cables as spares. I love, love, love them!

• Like 1

Yup, I'm another ZS10 Pro user. The Comply foam tips make all the difference in the world for me - sound, comfort, no "hot spots" weariness in my ear holes. 

Spent money on Shure 425s and 64 Audio customs...and for my gig life, I'm good with the ZS10 Pros...don't forget the Comply tips!

I swear I must have gotten a bad pair of KZs.  No tips or a new cable (the stock one tangles like a mother) made any difference.   At this point though, I'm not going to chase more IEMs, I still have my 215s as backups, and the KZs as backups to the backups, and my customs as emergency backups to those (worst purchase I ever made, can't sing with them at all).   Actually just bought a DXR10 and will be using a speaker on some gigs, it's a nice change as long as the drums are far away.

I've kept a curious eyes on the ZS10s for a while now because I've seen so many favorable comments about them. This thread made me finally break down and buy a pair. I got the ZS10 Pro-X. First thing I did was compare them to what I've been using for the last 3 or 4 years: Shure 425s with custom molds. Just playing solo piano at home, ZS10s seemed maybe a little clearer, but I was underwhelmed. Figured I'd try them on a gig and return them if they didn't impress in that setting. Used them last night and I was really impressed! Clarity and definition was really good, and far better than I what I was used to with the Shures. Consider me a converted believer! 

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I used my ZS10 Pro-X’s at a few more gigs over the past week ranging from a jazz trio (vocals, keys and bass) to a full band at a large festival. 
The ZS10 Pro-X’s worked brilliantly in every situation. I was particularly impressed with how much isolation I had (foam tips) at the festival gig as the onstage sound was very loud! Also, the clarity, detail and full sound I had was the best I’ve had using IEM’s. 

I recently recommended the ZS10 Pro-X’s to another keyboard player and so far they are loving them.

The only test remaining for these IEM’s is how long they will last. Time will tell but so far I am extremely pleased with these IEM’s.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the recs in this thread I purchased the KZ-ZS10 Pro X as well and just received it. Compared to the SE215, it feels more comfortable. The Shure causes soreness and after 30-45 minutes I can't wait to take them out.

Gonna take it to the gig tomorrow and see how it goes. 

• Like 1