Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just a shame (NOT POLITICAL)

I want to be clear this is not a post talking about the invasion (it's not technically a war yet, right?). I just wanted to share this sad post.

From Reddit:

First: SOMA makes the most innovative, creative, and well built instruments to date. Nothing compares to their instruments' quality.

I had been talking with SOMA for a few month prior to the war. I expressed that I was a huge fan of all of their work, and they were willing to produce a custom Ornament-8 on my request. This is what they ultimately produced.

This was photographed by them prior to them shipping it. I paid them several days prior to the war. They shipped it just after. I doubt very much that this will ever arrive as a result.

They are lovely people who believe in peace, and to quote a conversation I had with one of their engineers: fuck war.

So I don't get this: whatever. The real tragedy is that war harms humanity as a whole. These brilliant artists, who once could reach a world stage, are now very much isolated.

I just wanted to share this photo they provided me in hopes that it brings SOMA some love.

[I left out a sentence at the end to avoid any controversy here]

81bb4byhlnm81.jpg

• Like 3

"For instance" is not proof.

Yes, a stunning shame. 

I explored the SOMA site, this morning.  Though modular synthesis and its interactive components are still a largely unexplored frontier for me, I know enough to recognize high-quality and thoughtfully designed components.  And in light of the past two weeks, reading their story and philosophy brought me to tears; such a tragic contrast to the way things are now.

I hope that somehow your Ornament-8 does arrive safely..

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

SOMA does great work.  I have a Lyra-8 that our own Markyboard repaired (I broke the switch by doing a bad job of packing the Lyra-8 for the drive to Philly to play with the band).  I also got the Enner.

SOMA EU posted an announcement on FB that was confusing enough that Vlad Kreimer (founder of SOMA) had to step in to clarify.  Vlad is of Ukrainian origin apparently, but living in Moscow.

I wonder what became of the aluminum piano on the Hindenberg? Oh yeah, that thing that happened.😬

I had never thought of a synth as a victim of war, but here we are. I echo the sentiment hoping for magic that puts it in the hopeful recipient's hands. It has a Jules Verne sort of beauty to it.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

It is a war regardles of techical or what ever measures. 2.5 milion have left their home country already and refugees are coming to Finland too.

Perhaps political, but no, any synth does not matter.

J

• Like 1
Nord Stage 3 88, Prophet 6, Moog Voyager OS, Moog Little Phatty TE, Crumar Mojo Classic Suitacase, Kawai US-50 upright, Beltuna Studio 3 and Fantini cassotto accordions

12 hours ago, o0Ampy0o said:

(posted March 11, 2022) "It is not technically a war yet, right?"

... IS A SYNTH THAT IMPORTANT?

5 hours ago, jyrkik said:

It is a war regardles of techical or what ever measures. 2.5 milion have left their home country already and refugees are coming to Finland too.

... any synth does not matter.

J

I suggest going back and carefully re-reading the original post. I realize that emotions are running high right now - and understandably so, but it doesn't seem to me that the potential lost synth was a major issue, and far from the main point of the post.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

2 hours ago, allan_evett said:

I suggest going back and carefully re-reading the original post. I realize that emotions are running high right now - and understandably so, but it doesn't seem to me that the potential lost synth was a major issue, and far from the main point of the post.

id second this. I think the original post was explaining that while we all know the immediate casualties of this conflict there are not so immediate/obvious one like peoples livelihoods. He was clear to explain its not about the gear but about the people who make it. Thought it was pretty clear from the start?

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

The OP wants to talk about some potentially lost synth in the context of its origin country being invaded and its people slaughtered. As the OP pointed out, "it is not technically a war yet, right?" OH! This isn't in bad TERRIBLE taste. Give the OP a pass.