Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question: best way to connect synths and rest of 'studio'

Sorry for this rudimentary question, appreciate your patience.

I have a studio desk with my Mac, Presonus audio interface and Arturia USB keyboard.

About 3-4 feet away, on other side of the doorway,  are my synths. I currently have a snake running across the doorway, allowing me to play any of the synths and have then record on my mac etc. I'm just wondering what's a better way to make this work? The snake is annoying and I'd love to be running just a single cable from say a patch bay where the synths are, to my desk. Ideally I'd love to be able to have MIDI / USB access to them all as well :)

Any ideas very welcome and thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/11/2022 at 5:16 AM, Dr Nursers said:

Sorry for this rudimentary question, appreciate your patience.

I have a studio desk with my Mac, Presonus audio interface and Arturia USB keyboard.

About 3-4 feet away, on other side of the doorway,  are my synths. I currently have a snake running across the doorway, allowing me to play any of the synths and have then record on my mac etc. I'm just wondering what's a better way to make this work? The snake is annoying and I'd love to be running just a single cable from say a patch bay where the synths are, to my desk. Ideally I'd love to be able to have MIDI / USB access to them all as well :)

Any ideas very welcome and thank you!

For (Home-) studio only, I´d investigate in audio- and MIDI- over ethernet and use power outlet ethernet adapters once I´ve found the right configuration/ system.

It highly depends on your demands (audio: stereo- or multi-channel and number of channels for the latter),- and if you´re willing to replace your Presonus audio interface.

A cheaper solution for audio would be a multichannel AD/DA for the external outboard gear and run long ADAT cables to your audio interface.

Have in mind, running cables along the doorframe is already about 6 meters and recommended ADAT cable length is 5 meters only.

But you can run up to 10 meters of TOSlink cable in real world usage when using very good cables.

look here

What about running cables across the door in a cable duct in a pit ?

For MIDI over ethernet you go rtpMIDI driver (free) and iConnectivity interface (mioXL or mioXM).

Place the interface where the outboard hardware is and run an ethernet cable into the power outlet adapter.

Do the same from a power outlet near your computer´s network connection.

You can also use a ethernet switch for more connectivity.

Your USB keyboard doesn´t need to run by USB cable to the iConnectivity interface.

It still connects directly to your computer.

The USB connector on the iConnectivity is just only needed to configurate the interface by using the editor application.

Once done, it´s not urgently needed anymore.

☺️

A.C.