Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Elephant in the Room - The one we’re all thinking about or ignoring.

Mixed messages this week on Britain’s deployment of 8000 troops to Europe.  Depending what you read it’s a reaction to feared Russian plans to expand the war beyond Ukraine.  Or it’s a planned exercise, or expanded exercise.  Either way it’s a significant bump up to NATO forces in Eastern Europe.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

...and according to The Times reporting on a message from Russian state television, Channel One anchor Dmitry Kiselyov said in his Sunday evening primetime show that a strike by Russia’s Poseidon nuclear underwater drone could turn Britain into a wasteland by drowning the country in a 500-metre tidal wave of radioactive seawater.

“The explosion of this thermonuclear torpedo by Britain’s coastline will cause a gigantic tsunami wave. Having passed over the British Isles, it will turn whatever might be left of them into a radioactive wasteland.”

This is surreal James-Bond-Dr.-Evil-destroys-the-world stuff, isn't it? Might be time for a remake of Thunderball. 

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

...and according to The Times reporting on a message from Russian state television, Channel One anchor Dmitry Kiselyov said in his Sunday evening primetime show that a strike by Russia’s Poseidon nuclear underwater drone could turn Britain into a wasteland by drowning the country in a 500-metre tidal wave of radioactive seawater.

“The explosion of this thermonuclear torpedo by Britain’s coastline will cause a gigantic tsunami wave. Having passed over the British Isles, it will turn whatever might be left of them into a radioactive wasteland.”

This is surreal James-Bond-Dr.-Evil-destroys-the-world stuff, isn't it? Might be time for a remake of Thunderball. 

The insurmountable problem is that while the US does not have as many nukes or missles as Russia, we have more than enough to leave a smoldering crater from St Petersburg to Siberia. 

It's all talk, you start something that ends everything. 

At least I HOPE it's all talk!!! I like it here and Whidbey Island would be a target, one of the larger Navy bases on the West Coast. They are about 60 miles away, not far for a glowing cloud of death to meander. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Damnit, I don't want to be irradiated, on top of everything else! :taz:I don't want for Robert Fripp to be irradiated, either. I can envision him in the garden, looking up to see that wave and going "Oh, you bunch of C**TS!!" 😆

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

30 minutes ago, David Emm said:

Damnit, I don't want to be irradiated, on top of everything else! :taz:I don't want for Robert Fripp to be irradiated, either. I can envision him in the garden, looking up to see that wave and going "Oh, you bunch of C**TS!!" 😆

But, but, it gives you that "glow".

I can’t imagine Putin or his inner circle see nuke use as an option.  Rattling that saber hasn’t done a blessed thing to stop sanctions, arms or mercenaries from pouring into Ukraine.  We’re looking at a long war and longer insurgency in Ukraine.  Both sad and unfortunate.  

Link is to an "interesting" article regarding phone calls that Ukrainian intelligence recorded. 

Full disclaimer, I cannot verify anything in this article, one way or the other. Come to your own conclusions if you can. I suspect at least some of it is realer than real. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stolen-dollars-dumb-generals-nv-140000177.html

Turn up for Ukraine

Top brands and builders have come together to provide relief for Ukrainians in need. Now through May 15, turn up for Ukraine with gear from Gamechanger Audio, Eventide, and more. Proceeds to benefit organizations committed to the health, resettlement, and aid of those affected.

https://reverb.com/featured/turn-up-for-ukraine#shopnow

:nopity:

Dinosaurs were alive and well for 165 million years. Primates that you would absolutely call human first appeared 100,000 years ago. I doubt we'll make it to 100,100. We won't even be a blip in history. I'm hopeful that the next emergent species will use OUR corpses as an energy source. At least we will have been good for something.

• Haha 1

"For instance" is not proof.

3 hours ago, zeronyne said:

Dinosaurs were alive and well for 165 million years. Primates that you would absolutely call human first appeared 100,000 years ago. I doubt we'll make it to 100,100. We won't even be a blip in history. I'm hopeful that the next emergent species will use OUR corpses as an energy source. At least we will have been good for something.

It's important to remember that the earth is a closed physical system, so it's not unlikely that changes wrought from climate changes (human-driven or natural, it doesn't matter), the magnetic poles flipping, asteroid collisions, volcano super-eruptions, class 5 solar flares, etc. will create huge and devastating changes that could wipe out the bulk of humanity, just like it wiped out the dinosaurs. Even if humanity was an enlightened race of super-intelligent beings, there's not much that can be done about natural cataclysms. Of course many of these changes happen over geological time, so when you hear something like the Yellowstone caldera will erupt "soon," we're looking at maybe 50,000 years. Or maybe 50...you never know.  Who knows when the Madrid fault will destroy Memphis, or when "the big one" will hit California.

But even before a cataclysmic event occurs, the vast amounts of fresh water being released into the ocean from Antarctica will have profound effects. At this point, it's probably too late to do anything about what's happening. The good news: we have front-row seats, with 360 degree surround sound, at an awesome disaster movie with amazing special effects. The bad news: we don't get script approval :)

“Finland and Sweden traditionally think of themselves as militarily “nonaligned.” 

But Russia’s war in Ukraine and Putin’s apparent desire to establish a Moscow-centered “sphere of influence” has shaken their security notions to the core. Just days after he ordered the Feb. 24 invasion, public opinion shifted dramatically… Working within NATO means putting forces under joint command. 

Accession would tighten the strategic Nordic grip on the Baltic Sea — Russia’s maritime point of access to the city of St. Petersburg and its Kaliningrad exclave… Some at NATO worry that the Russians might deploy nuclear weapons or more hypersonic missiles to the Kaliningrad exclave, across the Baltic Sea wedged between allies Poland and Lithuania.“

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-nato-sweden-0df5efbacd3102aeaa72b839b690c2d6

28 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

“Finland and Sweden traditionally think of themselves as militarily “nonaligned.” 

But Russia’s war in Ukraine and Putin’s apparent desire to establish a Moscow-centered “sphere of influence” has shaken their security notions to the core. Just days after he ordered the Feb. 24 invasion, public opinion shifted dramatically… Working within NATO means putting forces under joint command. 

Accession would tighten the strategic Nordic grip on the Baltic Sea — Russia’s maritime point of access to the city of St. Petersburg and its Kaliningrad exclave… Some at NATO worry that the Russians might deploy nuclear weapons or more hypersonic missiles to the Kaliningrad exclave, across the Baltic Sea wedged between allies Poland and Lithuania.“

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-nato-sweden-0df5efbacd3102aeaa72b839b690c2d6

I find it difficult to believe that threats of starting nuciear warfare are anything but a bluff. 

It is a doomsday scenario and while everybody will be affected, there will be no beneficiary. One result is likely to be a glowing, smoldering crater where Moscow once stood, bearing in mind it will not be the only location so afflicted. 

24 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I find it difficult to believe that threats of starting nuciear warfare are anything but a bluff. 

It is a doomsday scenario and while everybody will be affected, there will be no beneficiary. One result is likely to be a glowing, smoldering crater where Moscow once stood, bearing in mind it will not be the only location so afflicted. 

I think it’s just moving chess pieces.  So if Putin has a larger NATO border to cover, he will move bodies and equipment to protect it.  He’ll likely shift nukes around as well.  His problem is he’s foolishly committed a substantial portion of his assets to Ukraine - where he’s also losing assets.  

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I think it’s just moving chess pieces.  So if Putin has a larger NATO border to cover, he will move bodies and equipment to protect it.  He’ll likely shift nukes around as well.  His problem is he’s foolishly committed a substantial portion of his assets to Ukraine - where he’s also losing assets.  

I hope you are correct. Attacking Ukraine was definately a miscalculation on Putin's part. 

I was reading that the US will need to place a new order for Stingers or perhaps something more modern. We've given many to Ukraine and need to re-stock.

Remember that we're dealing with an ill, narcissistic, paranoid, ex-KGB agent. I'm sure he sees enemies everywhere. It must be driving the people around him bonkers that Putin's plans to increase Russia's "security" have made its security far worse, on multiple levels.

It's really a mess. Too bad Russia isn't the US, or Putin could stop the war, say he found religion, spend a couple months in rehab to make it look more convincing, do the talk show circuit about how he discovered the true kindness of his inner self, rake in money from a book tour and motivational speaker gigs, and then buy his yacht back.

4 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I was reading that the US will need to place a new order for Stingers or perhaps something more modern. We've given many to Ukraine and need to re-stock.

Great gig, isn't it? By definition, things blow up, so they have to be replaced. Just think how much I would have made from "Electronic Projects for Musicians" if every time someone completed a project, the ink disappeared, and they had to buy a new copy to build another project.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

10 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Remember that we're dealing with an ill, narcissistic, paranoid, ex-KGB agent. I'm sure he sees enemies everywhere. It must be driving the people around him bonkers that Putin's plans to increase Russia's "security" have made its security far worse, on multiple levels.

It's really a mess. Too bad Russia isn't the US, or Putin could stop the war, say he found religion, spend a couple months in rehab to make it look more convincing, do the talk show circuit about how he discovered the true kindness of his inner self, rake in money from a book tour and motivational speaker gigs, and then buy his yacht back.

Great gig, isn't it? By definition, things blow up, so they have to be replaced. Just think how much I would have made from "Electronic Projects for Musicians" if every time someone completed a project, the ink disappeared, and they had to buy a new copy to build another project.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

I am familiar with the concept, very much so. 

Not sure if this is too political but one unforgettable evening at 3am, my Cambodian girlfriend woke me up and told me the story of being 5 years old when the United States blanket bombed Cambodia. She lived in a village far away from the Ho Che Minh trail, poor people living in huts, subsistance farming, etc. I did a bit of research and she was correct, the US did blanket bomb the entire country for no strategic benefit that I can understand. Of course, all that armament needed to be replaced, at taxpayers expense. Great deal for the Rockefeller family, just for one. 

Ugh, not something I'm proud of at all. 

Well, it's not like this is a new concept. What I'm hoping is that as the first major war with social media attention, the stupidity of it all will become so apparent that people will think that maybe it would make more sense to cooperate on making the world a better place. 

57 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Well, it's not like this is a new concept. What I'm hoping is that as the first major war with social media attention, the stupidity of it all will become so apparent that people will think that maybe it would make more sense to cooperate on making the world a better place. 

That is a great thought. If "leaders" (sales reps for various concerns) weren't so easily bought and sold, it might be possible to resolve these things at the negotiation table rather than the battlefiield. Let those who have something to gain fight the battles with wits instead of destruction. We all more or less know what is going on anyway. 

On 4/22/2022 at 9:23 AM, harmonizer said:

I wanted to comment on whether or not Finland kicked anyone's body parts during WWII.

I will share, IMO, a most excellent article from the Wall Street Journal on this very topic

https://www.wsj.com/articles/putin-russia-ukraine-finland-nato-11652386254?st=824lvvycdk5jrkm&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

:nopity:

I find it "funny" that Putin/Russia is threatened by these other countries wanting to be in NATO. Every other country on the planet could be in one defense treaty organization like that (WTO? No, that's taken) and it wouldn't bloody matter if he didn't invade any of them. 

In fact, a recent Star Trek hit upon this very topic. If instead of trying to take over other countries, they worked with them, cooperated, traded, helped them, etc., just maybe that would be easier, less deadly, and no one would hate you. They would actually like you. Imagine if Putz-in worked with Ukraine instead of trying to take it over. I don't even know what he wants, but I bet he could have worked out a deal if it was oil or grain or technology or whatever.

But no, he's just an

19 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

ill, narcissistic, paranoid, ex-KGB agent

who wants control and power because he's afraid someone is going to kick his ass given the chance.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

36 minutes ago, Joe Muscara said:

I find it "funny" that Putin/Russia is threatened by these other countries wanting to be in NATO. Every other country on the planet could be in one defense treaty organization like that (WTO? No, that's taken) and it wouldn't bloody matter if he didn't invade any of them. 

In fact, a recent Star Trek hit upon this very topic. If instead of trying to take over other countries, they worked with them, cooperated, traded, helped them, etc., just maybe that would be easier, less deadly, and no one would hate you. They would actually like you. Imagine if Putz-in worked with Ukraine instead of trying to take it over. I don't even know what he wants, but I bet he could have worked out a deal if it was oil or grain or technology or whatever.

But no, he's just an

who wants control and power because he's afraid someone is going to kick his ass given the chance.

Note sure how I got Craig's reply as my quote but oh well, at least it's true...

“The Russian army lost almost an entire battalion at the weekend in an attempt to cross a river in eastern Ukraine.

More than 70 tanks and armoured fighting vehicles were estimated to have been destroyed and possibly 1,000 soldiers killed in a single set of strikes by Ukrainian forces.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russian-battalion-devastated-as-it-crosses-river-989vvnj9v?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1652364036

14 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Note sure how I got Craig's reply as my quote but oh well, at least it's true...

You're right. That is weird. I didn't even notice it was misattributed. Sorry.

• Haha 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The media wants us to believe Putin is seriously ill and not in a good state of mind.  That there is a coup in motion and that  Ukraine’s military is optimistic about reclaiming all lost regions all the way back to Crimea.  

https://fortune.com/2022/05/14/does-putin-have-cancer-coup-underway-blood-cancer-ukraine-war/amp/

This same or similar story is circulating in many news outlets.  

37 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

This same or similar story is circulating in many news outlets.  

Fingers crossed. Ukraine just won the Eurovision song contest...whether they deserved it or not, I don't care. It's the kind of cultural support that shows unity.