Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using Hammond SK1 as a controller, unable to send velocity.

Rustar

I'm trying to use my SK1 to control my Yamaha Motif ES rack unit and I set "MIDI" on the SK1 to "Ex Zone". I then went to "Zones" to look for a parameter to enable velocity sensitivity in EX1, and can find none. The SK1 is sending only on/off. Al help is appreciated

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check page 113 in the manual for settings for the external zones:

NOTE-VELOCITY
Sets the character of the velocity to send to this zone.
The setting range is OF and 1 to 4. At OF, the velocity is fixed at 100. The “touch” (velocity response) of the keyboard pro- gresses from 1 (heavier) through 4 (lighter).

9 minutes ago, Jon E said:

Check page 113 in the manual for settings for the external zones:

NOTE-VELOCITY
Sets the character of the velocity to send to this zone.
The setting range is OF and 1 to 4. At OF, the velocity is fixed at 100. The “touch” (velocity response) of the keyboard pro- gresses from 1 (heavier) through 4 (lighter).

Yes. I think that you are looking for edit page D, "Zones". I have used the SK2 to control that same rack unit. 

This will sound odd, but the gotcha may involve assigning the extra voice to upper (or lower if you have a split and the range of the external zone is there).  I have no idea why, or if it changes with midi settings or the sounding point settings or what, but it happens on both my SK1 and SK2. So, assuming you've set the velocity send to a value between 1 and 4 for the external zone, try assigning the extra voice section to upper and reduce the volume of the extra voice to zero, and see if that gives you velocity control over the external zone instead of sending a fixed value.  

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

First off, thank you all for your responses. Today I went to use them to solve my problem, and when I fired up the rig and played on the SK1, I found that is was playing with touch sensitivity. I find that when I set the midi to Ex Zone, the module doesn’t sound. I’ll have to figure that out later, but my SK1 is a petulant brat and doesn’t retain settings, and occasionally has strange characters in the display, necessitating a restart. After reading your responses, I looked at the Sounding point and it was set to “Deep”, thus I had touch sensitivity. When I set it to “Auto”, it was no longer touch sensitive. So apparently, last night it was set to Auto and when I turned it off it reset to Deep. So Konnector, you get the prize for submitting the correct solution. Thanks again for all of your help. 

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.