Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Free soft-CS-80 from IK Multimedia

David Emm

Its known as the V-80. I sat through the entire demo because anything CS-80 seems fascinating. To my ear, though, this sounds like a generic polysynth frame that was programmed to seem as much like a CS as possible. Not very. There is almost none of the quirky richness found in other versions, if the demo is to be taken as gospel.

The Memorymoon ME80 is far closer to "true" if you want more of the real flavor, IMO as a user. Arturia's version is close as well, although it has a bit of that company flavor in the mix. Its a YMMV thing, as always.

If you're a Syntronik adherent, this isn't half bad news. Just be aware of the other options.   

https://audioplugin.deals/syntronik-v-80-by-ik-multimedia-free-download/

The internet has devolved into five giant websites,
  each filled with screenshots of the other four.
     ~  Cory Doctorow

Hmmm. Syntronik instruments have typically been sampled from the original hardware and then they use some digital trickery to make it not sound static.  What do you think of some of the other models in their collection?  Anything come close to impressing? 

Yamaha CP88, Roland VR-700, Crumar Mojo, rebuilt 1910 Chickering 5'2", Fender Rhodes MKI 88k, Casio PX-560

By the looks of it, the V80 seems more like a CS50 than a CS80. I don't see 2 independent synth lines in the interface.

One to try out (and I mean it) is Krakli's Arminator 2. I posted about this a few weeks ago. It has the best banks of presets than any of the others (including Arturia). And it specializes in "Blade Runner" specific sounds.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

22 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Hmmm. Syntronik instruments have typically been sampled from the original hardware and then they use some digital trickery to make it not sound static.  What do you think of some of the other models in their collection?  Anything come close to impressing? 

After allowing for imperfect audio translation online, I have to say that the Jordan Rudess demos were still a bit generic, patch-wise. He can make anything sound good, of course, but if anyone thinks they're going to get half the real depth of any synth on the list, the letdown will be notable.

Arturia and G-Force, for example, include all of the original controls plus modern amenities like effects sections. I don't fault IKM for choosing a simpler, more unified control template across a large range. That has merits. I simply wouldn't want a newbie to think that was the holy grail method. We KC pseudo-boffins know better, that's all. 🤓

The internet has devolved into five giant websites,
  each filled with screenshots of the other four.
     ~  Cory Doctorow