Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tommy Emmanuel- piano/keyboard equivalent?

I have to acknowledge the kind gentleman on this forum - think his name was Bill? - who felt so strongly about Erik Mongrain being the best solo acoustic guitar performer that he paid for my admission and dinner at Rams Head in Annapolis so I could witness Mongrain's skills in person.  That was a fun night.

I respect Tommy E but admit I haven't listened to him as much as certain other solo guitarists (Sean McGowan, Sid Jacobs,  Ichicka Nito, Ted Greene, to name a few).  Tommy E. seems to play a mix of rootsy styles like blues, bluegrass, etc. and originals.  Maybe Dr. John was another Tommy E of the piano?

Jools Holland seems to have been influenced by him.  I discovered Dr. John, like so many other musos, through Night Music

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Art-0252 said:

I hadn't ever seen this incredible Cory Henry clip, thanks for sharing!! Along the same lines I'm a big fan of Shaun Martin. This clip of him playing the keyscape rhodes is one of my favorites:

Shaun Martin is incredible. A great clip.  👏👏👏 Love his work with SP and his solo stuff too.