Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording by minidisk

Still jackin around trying to buy a multi-track device. In the meantime, any tips for a guitar / vocal demo with minidisk recorder? Like mic placement or anything you can advise. I need to do a rough demo to send someone.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, use a good mic. Make sure it's compatible with the MD input.

Second, if possible, use a mic preamp and a good mic, and go into the MD's line input instead of its mic input. Chances are the external mic pre you use would be better than the one inside the MD.

Third, if the MD has an auto-level control, enable it. You'll need to find the best mic position, though. Too close and the sound will be "squeezed" from the auto-level, too far and the sound will have too much room acoustics.

Fourth, do lots of takes. Remember, with MD you have an indexing feature where you can splice different parts of tunes together.

I bought one of the first Sony MDMX4's, thats a 4 track minidisk, but I can say that I wish I had not used a cheap condenser mic and cheap pre-amp on a lot of the recording's I made, a good dynamic is fine and like Craig said, a (decent) mic-pre-amp!

Also, be generous with cutting the high's on the eq (if you can) before you input anything, the minidisc compression ratio's tend to makes everything very treble-ish!

I had great fun with my Sony minidisk, it was far and away clearer than a 4 track analog I had before that, digital IS different, the front-end counts much more, it depends on the money you can spend, if you don't have money, experiment with room acoustics and mic placement until it sounds the best it can!

:thu:

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I recorded a gig once with just 2 minidiscrecorders and the mics that came with them.

I placed one on the right and one on the left about 10 meters from the stage and mixed the two tracks I got at home with Nuendo.

I was totally flabbergasted when I heard the results....Very very clear sounds and it seemed like I was actually at the gig again,...

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Heehee, we're talking Mr. No Gear here. I only have to mics. An Audix OM5 and Carvin CM68. Well, my brother has some kind of fancy thing that's like a foot long that he records bird sounds with that picks up from all around I guess. Maybe that would work! I don't have any kind of pre-amp. Just me, guitar, mic, minidisk recorder.

A friend recorded me one time and I was surprised at clarity. He put the mic farther from me (like, maybe a foot and a half) than I was expecting and I think it was just a Shure SM58. Came out pretty good.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

I also own one of the Sony MDMX4 MkII 4-track miniDisc machines. I agree it's WAY better than my old Fostex cassette 4-track. I did a number of demos on it and was very happy with the quality for the money.

One thing I did learn about using it, though, is that because of the Atrack compression scheme, you have to be very careful in applying EQ. I took one of my projects to a professional mastering house and we discovered that some frequencies just would completely fall apart when we tried to tweak them. Note that I mean after it's been recorded on the minidisc. As pseudonym says, you can EQ the source on the way in all you want.

I also agree with the other posters - use high quality inputs (mic and pre if possible). The higher quality you start with, the better it holds up through the whole process.

Have fun!

Rob

Rob Neidig

R & R Creative Productions

Eugene OR

reneidig@mindspring.com

Archived