Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How has the pandemic affected your photography and creativity?

Since I am a night photographer, I was probably affected less than most people. Still, initially, I traveled less. "Less" meaning less frequently, but also for less time. And closer. And I certainly wasn't flying. Road trips only until recently...and I still don't really like flying, but I've flown twice to the East Coast to visit family.

Anyway, the photography....I attempted to do a little bit of macro photography, although that's fizzled out. But it was fun to explore it and attempt to do it, and I hope to get back to it. I still do night photography all the time, and have been back at pre-pandemic creativity for a while now.

The first part of the pandemic gave me the opportunity to begin catching up on my backlog of photos that I needed to process. Of course, night photography requires more processing than your typical day landscape photo, so it takes longer, and it's easy to get a backlog going. Very easy.

How is your creative photography doing? How had the pandemic affected you? What have you changed since the pandemic? How has the pandemic helped your creativity?

• 2 weeks later...

Travel photography was a big part of what I used to do. I was on the road almost every week prior to March 2020.  I took my camera everywhere. I would always make the most of my time away from home to take photographs. Whether it was NYC skylines or amazing autumn scenes in the northeast, all over California and everywhere in between. My job would also take me to Japan at least twice a year and photography was always a big part of each visit.  I might be going to Japan in May 2022, that will be my first big trip in a very long time.

My portrait work didn't slow down at all in fact both 2020 and 2021 were busy years because people were looking for something to do outside of the house. I have a few sessions booked for this spring already.

The last couple months with winter and no travel has been somewhat stagnant for me. My wife and I are traveling soon for a trip to Florida, so looking forward to a change of scenery, some bird and landscape photography and  some sunshine. 

• Like 3

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I can't say it's the pandemic but I rarely pick up the DSLR anymore.

The best camera is the one you have with you. My cell phone camera is pretty darn good all things considered. 

And I almost always have it with me. This is a beautiful area but I mostly just look at things, pretty rare for me to snap off a picture. 

Meanwhile, this fall I decided I didn't want to gig inside - too loud and not Covid safe. So my creativity is more focused on recording my songs at home.

I'm enjoying that change. Summer is coming, I'll probably play some gigs. There are outdoor gigs aplenty when it warms up a bit. 

We can't count on dry weather at any time of the year. 2 or 3 summers ago we were booked to open for Buffy St. Marie at the Tulalip Festival of the River and 5 minutes before start time there was a torrential downpour of Biblical proportions, literally inches of water on the stage. The rest of the show was cancelled, the sound guys unplugged everything and covered it all up. They were running a huge outdoor system drawing massive current, water could have caused a horrendous situation if they'd left things on.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.