Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another one of those 'Can you identify this Hammond?' posts

FXM

I'm going to be doing some recording in a few weeks time at a studio that has a real Hammond and Leslie. That's quite exciting for me as never played the real thing before. I'm looking for a bit of help to identify what model it is. The studio website says that it's a C3, but looking at the attached picture, I don't think that's right. Can anybody identify it? Maybe an A100? I'll have fun playing it whatever the model, but I'm the sort of geek who likes to know the details!

Neil

IMG_0122.jpg

A-100, Red mahogany, light Walnut, Oak
A-101, Brown mahogany, gray mahogany, black, straight legs at front.
A-102, Light cherry, dark cherry (had Queen Anne Legs)

A-105, Light oak - dark walnut.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

A100... I've got one just like it in my studio. They're good in a home studio since they're a bit smaller than a B or C3. The preamp hangs upside down under the tone generator, instead of in front of it - like on a B or C - and that makes the organ about 8" narrower. Good thing, too...I wouldn't have been able to get a B thru the door of my studio.

I never played an A100 that I did not like...  They are usually great deals as they were made for homes and not clubs, churches, etc where they would get abused.  

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

4 hours ago, HammondDave said:

I never played an A100 that I did not like...  They are usually great deals as they were made for homes and not clubs, churches, etc where they would get abused.  

My A100 is one of the most abused organs I've ever come across (it was a gig rig in 70s and 80s, and we're talking clubs, not stadiums), and I still love it!

• Like 1

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

38 minutes ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

My A100 is one of the most abused organs I've ever come across (it was a gig rig in 70s and 80s, and we're talking clubs, not stadiums), and I still love it!

I sometimes feel bad about how badly I abused my B3 doing one-nighters in clubs, but man I had fun doing it!

• Like 1

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Thanks for all the replies!

On 2/28/2022 at 10:47 PM, Doerfler said:

I'm not familiar with the "Leslie" switch box installed to the left on the lower presets

I was wondering whether those were Leslie switches, so I guess indeed they are.

20 hours ago, SamuelBLupowitz said:

But it sounds good.....

• Like 1

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

On 2/28/2022 at 6:31 PM, Delaware Dave said:

A-100, Red mahogany, light Walnut, Oak
A-101, Brown mahogany, gray mahogany, black, straight legs at front.
A-102, Light cherry, dark cherry (had Queen Anne Legs)

A-105, Light oak - dark walnut.

Dave it's interesting they called it Light Oak.  Tom and Sal used to called it "Limed Oak"?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 3 weeks later...

This recording session was today, so I thought I’d provide an update. Ahead of the session I was told that this Hammond was owned by Jon Lord. I didn’t mention it in my original post, as I thought it sounded so unlikely, I didn’t believe it was true.

The producer for the session was Pete Brown, whose sister is the singer Sam Brown. She has worked with Jon Lord on his solo stuff. And he sold her the Hammond, and it eventually ended up in her brother’s studio. Jon Lord is one of my keyboard heroes, so today has been pretty special for me.

Neil

• Like 4

16 hours ago, FXM said:

This recording session was today, so I thought I’d provide an update. Ahead of the session I was told that this Hammond was owned by Jon Lord. I didn’t mention it in my original post, as I thought it sounded so unlikely, I didn’t believe it was true.

The producer for the session was Pete Brown, whose sister is the singer Sam Brown. She has worked with Jon Lord on his solo stuff. And he sold her the Hammond, and it eventually ended up in her brother’s studio. Jon Lord is one of my keyboard heroes, so today has been pretty special for me.

Neil

That's an awesome story! Can I ask where you're located? I'm in central New York state, and there are a few surprising Deep Purple connections in the area, one of them being my keyboard tech, who has a few pieces of gear that were once in the band's collection. According to him, he was on the short list for replacing John Lord when he retired; not sure how seriously I should take that but he did have some things to say about Richie Blackmore! 🤣 

Anyway, true or not, it's cool to hear!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Ritchie Blackmore has been living on Long Island for close to 20 years. Other members of DP including Jon Lord were living in CT probably so he could be close to Goff.

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact