Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord Piano Sample - Felt Upright

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dave Ferris said:

Not my thing but it sure sounds realistic. Yes very nice, highly detailed.

I'm considering the Nord Grand again after being frustrated with the feel of the CP88 playing live.

I played a newly unboxed NP5 the other day at GC and to my surprise, being a fatar hater, it felt really good. So also giving that consideration.

Dave- I have been playing a Nord Grand in a duo since it came out and really like it. My only complaint is that it is a bit heavy for me. If I were buying a new Nord right now I probably would get a Piano 5. More engines, less weight.

I owned a new Young Chang studio upright in the 80s, with the felt strip. Used for muting volume and tone. Think shoving a handful of cotton into your mouth before singing.

The Nord doesn’t sound like my felted upright at all. Half-felt, maybe.

But this Nord sample is alright. The real felt damper was not musical, in the sense that I might want to stick it down and play for a few hours. No, never. But the Nord sounds musically useful to me. 2am nocturnes.

13 hours ago, Docbop said:

Good old Jack did a video on te Felt Piano.

I love the Nord pianos generally, but the Spitfire Labs one sounded much better to my ears. The Nord Felt sounded nice, but similar to many of the other uprights in their library. If I'm playing or recording something with a felt piano sound I want the more muffled subdued attack and decay, although admittedly that's not a sound I use much anyway. I'll have to load it into my Nord and see how it plays to get a better idea.

Live Rig: CP88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Moog Sub Phatty

On 2/28/2022 at 11:08 AM, Dave Ferris said:

Not my thing but it sure sounds realistic. Yes very nice, highly detailed.

I'm considering the Nord Grand again after being frustrated with the feel of the CP88 playing live.

I played a newly unboxed NP5 the other day at GC and to my surprise, being a fatar hater, it felt really good. So also giving that consideration.

The Nord Grand is very, very high on my radar. I can't remember the last time I bonded so fast with the action of a DP. The slightly slow rebound of the keys felt instantly organic and expressive. I "got" it immediately.

I haven't played a recent NP. Is the action similar?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

2 hours ago, MathOfInsects said:

The Nord Grand is very, very high on my radar. I can't remember the last time I bonded so fast with the action of a DP. The slightly slow rebound of the keys felt instantly organic and expressive. I "got" it immediately.

I had the same impression. Only turn-off is the design, but that’s just one of my things. It plays beautifully. 

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

Thank you for posting this!!!. 

RE Nord weight &  anyone using a dual keyboard setup.: I have a Nord Stage2 88 that lives at my main church gig, and because of hip surgery can't lift it myself anymore.

For my other gigs,  I stole this idea from  Peter James (Hillsong):  Got  a Nord Compact 73 ( 18 lbs) and drive it from whatever weighted controller on the bottom.  I switched over to a Yamaha p121 as my bottom slab (20 lbs ). Though it's piano sound is very good,  I usually control the compact with it.    Ironically I'm partial to  Nord's Yamaha studio and soft samples,  and still use the Faziola or White s files,  but can see using this felt for worship.  

Funny,  recently played the NG on a backline gig-  didn't bond with it like I expected.  But did have same  "love at first play"  with the Yamaha CP4 action when it first came out.  Maybe it's the wood.    For better or worse, comfortable with any Yamaha DP mainly out of habit.    Don't love the  Nord stage 88 action either, but it's familiar and doesn't get in my way.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.