Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I realize Kurzweil brought a great deal forward in updates for the K2600. (I have one). KDFX V2 and Triple Modular Processing arrived in their version 4 update.

However,  in the present state of the K2700 there is no dedicated sampler and no graphical editing of loop points and related sample editing tools. It's a glaring omission. 

So much so that to me, it may be prefixed as K but is it really?

I don't know if polyphonic portamento was ever implemented in the VA-1 but I'd really like to see it happen in the K2700's VA along with the possibility you inferred of faster envelopes extending into VAST because the K2600's envelopes are just not snappy.

It's my understanding that KStart is not present in the K2700. It is an invaluable parameter for taming DSP's such as Shaper and Wrap on the K2600.

I've also read concerns regarding what is considered as a poor refresh rate in the K2600 and hope this will be addressed in the K2700.

I'd also like to know what you experience in large multisample load times when you check it out as I've read it's slow in assigning into keymaps, and thank you.

I'd also like to know if the synth can be loaded and backed up to and from PC without needing to use  a flash drive as a go between. If it's fully USB class compliant one should be able to.

The manual for the K2700, in addition to stating the need to refer back to the K2600's manual too often, now describes non VA VAST as being not recommended for audio use. It's concerning.

I think the question is how much one is willing to bank in faith on development through future updates and if what isn't there now will end up happening or not and if it ultimately is tied by how old an architecture VAST is. Does this then limit what really can be done regarding updates?

I am definitely in the watch and wait camp presently.

I also agree with your wish that the display was larger. 

Thank you for your ongoing review.

• Like 1

Regarding "talking to the outside world" like a computer, I´d like to get some insight, too.

I have a PC4 (a K2 and two PC3, too) and the software editor for both is useless. I am quite familiar with that, tried it in the early years with my PC3, now with the PC4, it´s the same. It crashed several times after I tried it to show me the list of programs I had uploaded via USB. Do not get me started with editing anything. Experienced Kurzweil-users are aware of that and do not even consider this software useful in any way.

BTW, you can exchange soundsets etc. via USB-stick, as well as using a Computer as some kind of external hard-disk, that is treated like a USB-stick - same like in the PC3, but I did not try that on the PC4. I do not know about the K27, since I do not have one. But they are very close brothers/sisters, I suppose it´s most likely the same.

You can do pretty much everything in the machine itself, but having at least a bank-manager would be a nice-to-have and nothing less but up to date. Same goes for exchanging samples. We do not have a program to do keymaps, exept the decades-old Kurzfiler - which was a project from a guy that did this in his free time.

The Nord-software for their Stage-line is a nice example for how to bring the K- (and PC-) series to this decade. With that we would not need sophisticated sample editing in the machine - on a computer-screen it´d be way more comfortable. Right now we have to use 3rd party software and then use Kurzfiler to build keymaps and then transfer them to the machine via Stick or USB connection. They way how they feel is something you can experience just then, when they have been uploaded.

I´d love to see some "Kurzweil-solution" where the steps of looping, setting zones + velocitylayers and transfer to the instrument come together. All this much sample memory needs some proper tools. I might want to add the comment, that I´d prefer this software should be made by someone else but ST.

I like the Kurzweil-stuff, but this is ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 11:10 AM, Delaware Dave said:

i recently saw this video and was surprised by how little difference there was between the sound quality of the K2700 vs. the K2600.  

YouTube compresses everything to around 126kbps AAC (lossy compression). Makes for judging sound quality a bit difficult.

I found it rather entertaining that he only spent a few seconds on the Wurlitzer sound, as the Wurlitzer and Rhodes (not FM electric piano, of which he played numerous examples far longer) and Clavinets on the newer Kurzweil's are far superior to the K2500/2600 series in terms of realism. In regards to FM electric pianos, is he comparing samples or did he use an actual 6 operator FM sound, since the K2700 has a DX7 compatible FM engine in it?

I also noticed the guy that got banned from the Kurzweil FB group for spamming it with endless posts of his YouTube video claiming the strings all suck is commenting on that one, too. Yay!

I know what you mean. The guy seemed to see some kind of problem that I did not understand. But he insisted. Isn´t it nice to have backwards compatibility when you want the "old" sounds, too? I even think it´s a nice twist when they sound as "bad" as they were back then. There are people who pay lots of money today for old gear, just to get that flavour.  The Kurz delivers that so to say "free of charge".

But judging an instrument by that and "forgetting" about the new stuff that is added and trying to make a point out of that is a bit strange. Kann man machen, muss man aber nicht. Like we say in German.

• Like 1

Strings are excellent on the K2600. There are many variations both existing and possible because of the immense programming depth of the instrument. I have yet to exhaust the possibilities in VAST.

The new  " divisi strings" sounded great in the K2700 (and PC4) from videos I've watched.

The pianos, both electric and acoustic, sound amazing on the videos.  I love that there are now new unlooped pianos though I hope nothing is lost audibly in the now optimized versions in comparison to the Forte.

The addition of a 6 operator FM synth able to load and edit the DX7 library plus integration into VAST is a great feature!

Backwards compatibility is a good thing as Kurzweil has a very deep sample library and I very much appreciate that the older sounds are still there.

The generous amount of non volatile sample memory is a huge selling point for the K2700 and is a feature that I would definitely make use of.

I failed to make note of the fact in my initial post that the sampler (which I have and use a great deal in my 2600XS) was then an option for the 2600 line so not having one is by no means a deal breaker for the 2700. But I do want to see graphical editing of samples return.

My earlier remark regarding the K prefix has more to do with it being essentially the same synth as the PC4, adding a metal case, increased sample memory, an internal power supply, TP/40L action, an audio interface, pads and a ribbon.

I was surprised though when I learned that new sounds which I had initially assumed as exclusive to the K2700 are able to be loaded into the PC4.

Kurzweil workstations, to me remain incomparable in their sound and depth.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 3:53 PM, Al Coda said:

Here´s a link according to pitchbend mechanics design flaw in PC4 ...

https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/pc4-pitch-wheel.32785/#post-220891

It´s already a different design compared to the PC3 which also introduced pitchbend problems.

Now I want to know if the same unit is present in K2700 models.

By interest, I bought a used DX7 left-hand controller unit which is well known for it´s reliability (I owned DX7 and,- since decades,- still own a DX7mkII and KX76)

It´s soooooooo simple and never fails.

I don´t understand why a company like Kurzweil, offering great and complex technology, is unable using such super simple, but insanely effective design.

The left-hand controller unit is so important for expressivity when it comes to synth patches.

☺️

A.C.

Realize that the design is done in Massachusetts but manufacturing is done in Korea. Manufacturing costs (read parts, assembly, etc.) can undermine a great design. R & D in Massachusetts does great with the design.

6 hours ago, b3plyr said:

Realize that the design is done in Massachusetts but manufacturing is done in Korea. Manufacturing costs (read parts, assembly, etc.) can undermine a great design. R & D in Massachusetts does great with the design.

Maybe, but doesn´t answer my question at all.

Is the PB / Mod Wheel mechanics design identical in PC4 and K2700 ?

☺️

A.C.

However,  in the present state of the K2700 there is no dedicated sampler and no graphical editing of loop points ...

I had to dive and and double-check this because I was incredulous at first, but you are correct, Atomicsynth. You can import audio files as the basis of Keymaps, at 8 or 16 bits and up to 96kHz, but graphical editing is indeed absent. Perhaps the assumption is that everyone has a DAW and you’ll pre-edit your samples there. Still, I’m quite used to cursoring around and spinning the data wheel to edit my loop points and trims, and I’d like to be able to keep doing so.

Still, a worthy question on its own is: Has workstation sampling and sample editing gone the way (or should it go the way) of the onboard multi-track sequencer?

It's my understanding that KStart is not present in the K2700.

If you’re referring to the Key Track Start parameter on the K2600, yup, I don’t find it here. I need to dig a bit deeper to see if anything is functionally equivalent, i.e. acts like a “compressor” for key tracking at the extreme ends of the keyboard.

I will test portamento and large sample load times, hopefully today. I will also see what can be backed up directly to the computer. The K2700 shows up as a disk volume on my Mac desktop when connected via USB, so that’s a good sign.

I think the question is how much one is willing to bank in faith on development through future updates and if what isn't there now will end up happening or not and if it ultimately is tied by how old an architecture VAST is. Does this then limit what really can be done regarding updates?

I don’t think anything inherent about VAST limits how it can be updated. It’s a bunch of audio processors that can be arranged in different ways, and presumably ported to different platforms — whether that’s Kurzweil’s DSP chips, SHARCs, an embedded CPU running Linux, or anything else that might come along down the road.

I’d say the more relevant issue about VAST is: How much longer will we need it? One of its original intentions was to get maximum sound design out of multi-samples that were limited in size. And in instruments like the K2000, it did that so well that it was mind-blowing at the time. But was also steep to learn, arguably more so than FM programming on a DX7. That hasn’t changed. What has changed is that we now have large and highly polished sample sets in every workstation, other synth engine modes that generate virtual analog waves, FM, tonewheel organs, etc. Heck, the K2700 itself boasts these things. So, while VAST may hold incredible appeal for deep sound design, I wonder if its future fan base looks more like that of Kyma or Max/MSP than mainstream musicians.

Faith in development and updates is the $64 question, of course. I’m going to sound like I’m punting here, but to an extent this is an issue with any major keyboard brand. Everyone is trying to get the maximum product roadmap out of innovation that happened ten, 15, or even 20 years ago. They also balance that with new innovation and development, but it happens where and when business and allows. There’s not a lot of “startup mentality” as in, “Let’s sink a ton of R&D cost into this new thing because if we build it they will come.” (There is some, e.g. ROLI, which did exactly that, with mixed results.)

But I digress. It’s a bit early for me to predict where Kurzweil will take the K2700, but I do believe they will add some updates and know that they pay attention to forum topics like this one. (Especially this one, because I sent them the link and they are definitely watching.) I think Roland is setting a nice example with the Fantom — they keep adding synth models and capability to make the thing an attractive studio hub and ecosystem, and it’s a lot further along then when it first came out. And if you consider the first iterations of the K2500 versus the final ones of the K2600, Kurzweil has a decent track record, too.

• Like 2

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Hi Stephen,

I really appreciated your substantive reply (I'm not at all adept with doing multiple quotes on my phone).

I'm truly a big fan of Kurzweil anything as I love my 2600 both as the great midi controller it is and for what can be achieved in it. 

I used only my K for a couple of solo live shows I did a decade plus ago along with bass and drumset backing tracks I prepared and played back from a desktop I dragged along.  I don't think I could have accomplished this with any other synth to the level of what I was able to do.

If I had a K2700 back then I wouldn't have had to beg indulgence while I cleared and reloaded samples six times during a 3 hour plus continuous performance, (yes I was crazy). It would have held everything I needed in generous non volatile memory).

So my initial post was assuredly not to criticize a company I have such high regard for, but rather to express hope that the K2700 reaches it's full and untouchable potential.

Referencing another reply/intent to investigate of yours, Poly Portamento is not present on K synths (nor the K2700 to the best of my knowledge). However, there are a small group of programs in the K26-K25 line under the name "Pseudomento" that fake it well using a chain of FUNS. 

I was mostly interested since you have a VA-1 if they in fact accomplished a true poly portamento there and if so maybe it would eventually make it into the K2700/PC4's VA.

I cannot imagine the business end of developing a synth. They have hit an amazing price point with both the PC4 and the 2700. I certainly can imagine the development costs to re-invent an established system knowing the market for such is ultimately niche.

It seems to me that the PC3 line and onwards had a focus on going mainstream, so to speak. The Rom programs became quite direct in imitative naming associations to well known recordings plus Instrument Category buttons were added. It presented an outward user friendliness and projected, I think, a certain emphasis as fulfilling a role as the defacto cover band synth while retaining and yet developing the rocket science - (Dynamic VAST, more effect units and a brand new steep learning curve).

You mentioned the Fantom's development. I agree with you but I am not a fan of the Roland subscription cloud they associate with it.

I've never run out of sounds to modify from Kurzweil Compatibility and farm files. They are free to users. 

And yes, total agreement here over the striking development even from the K2500 to the K2600. Plus they even brought a full VAST engine to the Forte in an update. 

Thank you for verifying that a disk volume was present when connected to your Mac. They have a windows driver on their download page so all signs there are good.

I appreciate your in process investigation of large sample load- association times and direct to computer transfers. (I keep a dedicated XP PC with an Adaptec card just to transfer my 2600's internal hard disk to and from).

Eras have come and gone. Who knows what the future holds for keyboard workstations? I remain hopeful. 

I've used freeware sample trimming/looping/crossfading software that worked well. Still, it remains appealing to me to have those tools integrated into a workstation and not outsourced. Certainly, recording samples into a DAW in lieu of an on board sampler is not unreasonable in this day and age. But I still like dedicated samplers.

In regard of your comment questioning the relevance today of an onboard sequencer, I never really learned the one on the 2600 as I was more about tracking with the synth. Others extol it though I opt for DAW.

I am often torn with my own weighing of what the latest and greatest may offer against my personal disdain of the throwaway society.

Thank you again, Stephen.

--------

I'm adding a link from the "Mastering Vast" forum where Brian Cowell has been covering the K2700 in great detail. I asked Brian's permission before sharing here his "Migration from K2600/K2661 to K2700". It shows what has been gained in the K2700 and what has been lost.

It's necessary though to register for a free account to view.

https://forums.godlike.com.au/index.php?topic=6907.msg59861#msg59861

Brian, with Kurzweil's help, also wrote a more modern graphical version of the K2700 manual which is only available to Mastering VAST paid subscribers, so I can't post that one here. But it is there and it's very good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Received my K2700 this week courtesy of David Weiser and Weisersound. What a beast it is. The build quality is second to none. I couldn't stop playing it. Beautiful pianos, EPs, strings, etc. I can't wait to dig into it and convert my Forte7 MULTIS for the Pink Floyd tribute band.

Regarding onboard sampling / editing: Back in 1999 when the K2600 was released, recording and editing samples on a computer was prohibitively expensive. It required special hardware and software. Now days, it's super easy, cheap, and ubiquitous. I understand why Kurzweil, which is a very small company, didn't want to spend the money and resources to include that feature in the K2700. It's much more simple to just prepare your samples on a computer and load them in.

On 4/29/2022 at 5:42 AM, Jim Alfredson said:

I understand why Kurzweil, which is a very small company, didn't want to spend the money and resources to include that feature in the K2700. It's much more simple to just prepare your samples on a computer and load them in.

QFT.

But, how easy is it importing "YOUR samples" into a K2700 when not buying ready-to-go sample sets in already (key-) mapped, looped and for Kurzweil adjusted sample-/program format ?

Since the 32Bit application CD-Xtract (running on ancient Win XP and old Mac OS) doesn´t exist anymore,- it became hard converting other libraries into Kurzweil format.

CD-Xtract handled Akai, EMU, Giga, .krz, SF2, WAV, AIFF, EXS24, Steinberg Halion and NI Kontakt.

So, what does Kurzweil (and other sample library manufacturers) use to create a Kurzweil multisample ready to play ?

Guess what,- Kurzweil should publish a commercial sample converter and editor application instead adhering to the more or less useless Soundtower editors making trouble since the PC3 version appeared.

But it´s good to read you enjoy the build- and sonic quality of the K2700 !

☺️

A.C.

On 4/30/2022 at 8:20 AM, Al Coda said:

QFT.

But, how easy is it importing "YOUR samples" into a K2700 when not buying ready-to-go sample sets in already (key-) mapped, looped and for Kurzweil adjusted sample-/program format ?

That seems to be a separate argument from the frustration about not having internal sampling in the K2700. Regardless of how you get samples into the K2700, via the USB stick already edited and ready to go or via an as of now non-existent live sampling function in the K2700 itself, you'd still need to loop them, keymap them, etc., which can be done in the K2700 as it stands. Time consuming? Sure. But having a live sampling function wouldn't change that.

A more convenient solution for me would be to do all my editing, key mapping, looping etc. in HALion, then convert that exported file to Kurzweil format via Chicken Systems Translator software.

18 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Regardless of how you get samples into the K2700, via the USB stick already edited and ready to go or via an as of now non-existent live sampling function in the K2700 itself, you'd still need to loop them, keymap them, etc., which can be done in the K2700 as it stands. Time consuming? Sure. But having a live sampling function wouldn't change that.

A more convenient solution for me would be to do all my editing, key mapping, looping etc. in HALion, then convert that exported file to Kurzweil format via Chicken Systems Translator software.

Well, I´m not interested in a live sampling option at all,- just only sample/program import of established libraries we have in stock from the past.

Already the K2500/ K 2600 series instruments and modules were well known for excellent AKAI import and playback.

You put in one of your AKAI floppy disks or hooked up a SCSI drive (HDD or CD) and all the rest was relatively simple.

That stuff sounded often better than playback by the original S-1000/3000 samplers.

Converting EMU and make it sound good is a different task, especially when programs used the zplane filters.

Converting AKAI to Halion 2 was what I did already in the past, w/ the result of mediocre playback quality vs the AKAI hardware device.

NI Kontakt was not really better,- AKAI and EMU ... while ESX24 was the worst.

But that was many, many years ago.

IIRC, Chickensys conversion algorithm is what works (or worked ?) in Kontakt.

Anyway,- I´d appreciate a Kurzweil application for AKAI sample and program import into Kurz,- just because that worked perfect in the past already.

B.t.w,- I didn´t find a K2700 Sound Editor guide/manual on Kurz´ website,-

Regardless how good or bad this applications runs for the time being,- does it cover creating sample-keymaps, truncation, looping etc. functions?

It´s indeed way too time consuming from frontpanel and w/ this display size,- at least for me and w/ my aged eyes.

☺️

A.C.

Hi,

Forte owner here, the OS is basicaly the same as 2700. I tried sampling the monosynth sounds from my favourite VSTs and finding good looppoints in Kurz interface was pretty hard and Im not completely satisfied with what I did. The simple crossfade function would change it easily. I might be doing it wrong, but I would love to see dedicated sampling software for Kurz. How difficult can it be?

57 minutes ago, Stefan011 said:

I might be doing it wrong, but I would love to see dedicated sampling software for Kurz. How difficult can it be?

Well, possibly as difficult as it is for Soundtower coding a perfectly working Kurzweil Sound Editor software.

I mentioned AKAI samples/programs because that was what worked perfect in previous Kurz K-models,- so that is what they HAVE already.

Means, they own the code, which previously ran on hardware and would have to be ported over to a modern software app.

When done, there´s an application w/ the GUI usable on modern computers.

For my needs, the GUI doesn´t have to be fancy, I can live w/ black/white simple layout when it does the job.

That´s a lot already,- and it could be the beginning of a growing software tool.

It should read disk images via USB,- p.ex. .iso and those being made from floppy disks like you can do w/ EMXP , then convert the programs into .krz files.

When that works, more formats can be integrated by the time.

It would be ice on the cake when the in hardware existing sample editing tools were also part of the application.

☺️

A.C.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 12:17 PM, Melodialworks said:

I'm wondering why the K2700 will not be available in Canada? It seems there are no Canadian dealers. Even US dealers that will normally ship gear to Canada have "will not ship to Canada" listed. I don't get it. (Former owner of K2000 and K2500 . . .)

I've been in touch with Kurzweil about this. They have stated that they are "between distributors" in Canada at this point in time . . . 

I love this “living review” format, and I love seeing long format “prose” from you, Stephen. I have two comments and then some questions.

When I first heard about the 2700, I thought the price was prohibitive…it’s amazing how fast that relative perception changes in light of world events. If they can actually keep it at 3k, it’s a serious contender.

And while I appreciate everyone’s perspective here, I think maybe not having practical sample editing onboard is a HUGE MISS for a large population of potential buyers that are sorely unrepresented on this forum: hip hop, EDM, and other very electronic genres. The Korg Triton had a second wave of popularity after Timbaland and others started using it to manipulate samples, and the MPC generation is now old enough to have serious disposable income. I don’t pretend to know how features are prioritized in hybrid hardware/software development, but I would think it was a very conscious decision to leave those features out regardless of why. I would ask the product managers and designers to really consider the current economic landscape and develop accordingly. I’m sure it’s extremely complicated to design off of legacy code developed decades ago and half a globe away.

Stephen, how is the aftertouch to you in actual playing? Hiw hard do you have to dig in?

• Like 2

"For instance" is not proof.

My experience with the aftertouch is the pressure required is just right.  Coming from the Jupiter 80, where I had to lay-in unreasonably hard, the K2700 is way more usable.  At times it catches me by surprise and I have to remember not to press so hard.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to updates, Kurzweil is still updating the now discontinued Forte line, so I have every confidence that they will update the K2700 for years to come. If enough people want sample editing, they’ll put it in. Just send them a nice message about it. They are good people and want to make their customers happy.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, the 2700 is now the primary keyboard on the Al Tour....I hear and understand all the comments....they do impact the on-the-fly editing somewhat...But I'm in touch with R and D and they are actively working on most of the issues being talked about here.....The machine is sounding great and responds better than any other Kurzweil model I've ever used...A 61 key version of the 2700 would be nice......R

• Like 3

On 7/3/2022 at 7:39 PM, Ruben Valtierra said:

A 61 key version of the 2700 would be nice

Good to know they read about former issues and wishes here !

Yes,- a 76 and/or 61-key version would be VERY welcome !!!

I´d really like to replace my PC361 w/ that.

☺️

A.C.

zeronyne, sorry I missed your question earlier. I’m in agreement with ABECK that the aftertouch is very nice. You don’t have to tire out your fingers to hear just a little, but it increases proportionally from there. That is, it doesn’t go from nothing to full-blast too quickly. That said, for gigging I would welcome a semi-weighted version that still has piano-shaped keys with a lip, but a lighter action overall for playing all night. Like the 76-key K2600.

• Like 2

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

7 hours ago, Stephen Fortner said:

That said, for gigging I would welcome a semi-weighted version that still has piano-shaped keys with a lip, but a lighter action overall for playing all night. Like the 76-key K2600.

That would be perfect !

☺️

A.C.

12 hours ago, Stephen Fortner said:

zeronyne, sorry I missed your question earlier. I’m in agreement with ABECK that the aftertouch is very nice. You don’t have to tire out your fingers to hear just a little, but it increases proportionally from there. That is, it doesn’t go from nothing to full-blast too quickly. That said, for gigging I would welcome a semi-weighted version that still has piano-shaped keys with a lip, but a lighter action overall for playing all night. Like the 76-key K2600.

A 76-key, lighter action K2700, similar to the one found in the original PC3, could quite easily tempt me to put my Fantom 7 up for sale. Kurzweil has a much stronger balance of sample quality across a variety of instruments.  And after reading about the K2700's aftertouch, there's simply no comparison. Thought I was going to jam a finger joint the first time I attempted aftertouch on my Fantom :laugh:

• Like 2

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Yeah, Allan, I have a Fantom 7 here as well and one of these days I’m going to update its review with stuff about the organ and wavetable modes. I like that its keyboard is quiet and fast. But the aftertouch is much closer to that all-or-nothing feel I was talking about.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

On 3/1/2022 at 11:56 PM, Stephen Fortner said:

Clavinets mostly match those in my Forte but are still excellent. They get the key release noise right, and variations are available to cover the pickup rocker switch settings on the real deal. On the Clavinet C and D6 models, the A-B rocker chose between two pickups and the C-D rocker chose whether one or both were heard. They were inter-dependent, with the four combinations creating very different tones, like so:

• AC: Harp pickup only.
  • BC: Bridge pickup only.
  • AD: Both pickups, in phase.
  • BD: Both pickups, out of phase.

Hi Steven, 

This seems contra to a real D6 Clav; so wanted to confirm if the Kurz is not conforming to the selector strategy of a real Clav.

On a real Clav (unless my mind has gone south, it may have!): 

• The C switch is both pickups, with B (i.e. C/B) being both pickups are used but out of phase and A (i.e C/A) being both pickups are used while being in phase.  You wrote above that the K2700's switch strategy is: B/C is bridge pickup only and C/A harp pickup only.
  • The D switch is a single pickup, with the B (i.e. D/B) being the treble pickup and the A (i.e. D/A) being the rhythm pickup.  You wrote B/D is both pickups out of phase and A/D both pickups are in phase.  

I'm just trying to understand whether the K2700 is using the conventional switch setting combos or has Kurzweil deviated from the true Clav settings?

Thanks in advance

Dave

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Delaware Dave, I believe you have the CD rocker switch backwards. I’ve always understood C to be single pickup and D to be both. Here is one source:

https://chicagoelectricpiano.com/clavinet/clavinet-controls-and-settings/

I also have my vintage E7 here and it behaves as I described. So unless my mind has gone (a distinct possibility) I think the K2700 is doing it right.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media