Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Amplification at home, what do you guys use/recommend

11 hours ago, GotKeys said:

My brother is a drummer and his kit is in the same room, so we may jam together occasionally, 

I think you need something like a small PA 2.1 system.

If you can try something from LD systems ( i own Dave 10 = 10" sub + 2 x 5,25" sat).This is my best buy ever for about 555 euros(Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands).

Better than every studiomonitor i have owned .(many !).

This thread is hilarious:

OP - gonna buy 2 cables, whadya think?

KC members - you need more gear

OP - going to hold off on buying anything new and see how things work out with the bookshelf speakers

KC members - buy more gear.  Pair of EVs.  K8.2s.  More gear I tell you.

OP - I'd rather not buy something that already works totally fine and is just sitting collecting dust in my garage

KC members - new monitors I tell ya, buy, gear, bluetooth, small. PA. BUY. SOME. GEAR. (dissolves into inarticulate vicarious GAS induced hysteria punctuated by frothing at the mouth)

fwiw I've done jams with a trio including a drummer playing at sensible volumes at his place and run straight into his bookshelf stereo.  Sure I'd get more bottom end from my DBR-10, but it serves the purpose.  I'd just get the $15 cables.

• Like 3

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

9 hours ago, Reezekeys said:

Got it, I understand now. Do you know if the Kurz XLR outs are transformer-isolated?

As I said above, the Kurz PC3 has (2 pairs of) balanced TRS outputs.

No,- they aren´t transformer isolated, just only electronically balanced.

The Presonus Eris E5 can be used alternately w/ it´s balanced TRS or XLR inputs.

🙂

A.C.

7 hours ago, GotKeys said:

So then would it make sense connecting the keyboard up to a mixer first before going to the amp?  That way I could use balanced outputs from the kurzweil and still not spend a ton of money on new speakers.  (I've yet to buy anything to connect the PC3 to my speakers so I'm still open to other options)

You CAN use a mixer, but when you only use the PC3 and nothing else in addition,- what to mix ?

The tiny Presonus monitors aren´t my only speakers,- I also have 2 pairs of vintage passive Tannoys and a pair of passive Alesis Monitor One mk II, Bryston 3B, Alesis RA150 stereo and Ashly 4-channel power-amps.

But I also needed something small and portable.

The Presonus Eris 3.5 I bought are 99 bucks portable speakers I wanted for my home to move around, in the basement for the repair shop, upstairs in the room where I build my DAW machines and programm setups on my old and trusty Creamware Noah EX and 32Bit Scope DSP setup, as also quickly connect something when I´m out in the yard etc..

In fact, I didn´t believe how good these tiny toys work and they are way, way, way better than most (cheapo) hifi- or computer desktop speakers.

They are usable for studio work, but I wouldn´t use´em for critical mixes.

Because of the price, I guess they won´t live a hundered years and the tiny Class-D amp might fail 1st one day.

I don´t play very loud at home,- so plugin´ in a keyboard like the PC361 is satisfying,- at least for me.

I prefer using my own patches I programmed or the factory stuff I edited to my taste.

The Eris 3.5 aren´t 2 way amplification,- just only a stereo Class-D amp w/ passive x-over for the tweeters.

The E5 XT is what I´d buy now and they can only be better.

The small JBL 305 are a option too.

Mixer,-

I have several ones,- 2 Roland M-160 4U rackmounts, Mackie CR 1604, Rolls RM203, Ashly MX508 and there´s even an analog 8-bus console in my closet,- several master and channel modules waiting for service since a long time too.

For studio I use the excellent digital mixers running on DSPs of my S|C XITE-1 w/a 16 channel I/O AD/DA connected and the XITE´s high quality 2 channel mic-/line preamp w/ add. HiZ inputs as also it´s 2 balanced analog XLR inputs.

But don´t think about buying, I only describe my background, so you know I have comparisons.

My latest mixer I bought for extreme mobility is the Alto ZMX 52.

Before I did, I sent 2 5x more expensive Mackie compact mixers back because these were bad calibrated,- all channels introduced lower levels when panned left and as well when panpot was centered.

Because the main outs were controlled by only 1 (stereo) pot, that was unacceptable.

Thoman service confirmed the issue.

I unboxed the about 50 bucks Alto and it worked like it should.

I also like it´s, compared to other compact mixers, very small external PSU because I hate PSU nearly as big as the mixer itself.

With this toy, I can use PC361, DP w/ 88 weighted keys, a Mic or mono-output synth (Minimoog D) and VSTs on my laptop w/ cans or connect to the Eris 3.5.

I didn´t regret the purchase of the combo for what it does in small rooms.

My 8" 2-way studio monitors w/ power amps are simply too big for some rooms in my house.

🙂

A.C.

For good sound and a single keyboard I really like the EV ZLX. In fact, any of the EV lines make great monitors for keys. I have a Spacestation 3 which is nice, but a bit heavy. It is my third choice of my three options. My latest grab was a Vox VX50 KB. Small, light, easy to grab and go. I use it to play on the porch. It does much better than I thought it would.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I don't think you can really call it "home keyboard amplification" if you haven't hand-built electrostatic panels similar to Magnepan 3.6 full-range quasi-ribbons, but then you're going to need high current, Class A tube mono blocks to drive them or you're really not doing "home keyboard amplification" in any meaningful sense of the word. And you can use the QSC K8.2s as stands for the 6 foot tall, 3 foot wide panels.

Until then, I suppose you could just use the bookshelf speakers. 

But it's not really "home keyboard amplification".

I use a pair of QSC K-10 for stage.

That said, over one hundred years ago I bought a pair of KRK KRoK (passive) monitors for my home studio.  Ugly, yes.  But I liked the sound of them.  Still do.

I used a Mackie 1402 mixer and a Hafler XL-280 amp (145W @ 8 0hms per side).  Fine.  But the amp started to get a bit noisy, so I decided to try my stage amp - a QSC PLX1804.

So the bad is that it's got a fan.  Not the best for a quiet environment.  But the overwhelming goodness of the change is that it has a gazillion watts of clean power (600W @ 8 ohms per side).

I NEVER run out of headroom!  

So what? ...you might ask.  Well, after replacing the old Hafler amp with the QSC I was reminded that when trying to produce the sound of an acoustic grand piano, you need dynamics (I have Kurzweils and a Nord and Ravenscroft 275).  And the reason is not so much so that you can play it loudly all the time, but that you've got - at your fingertips - the power needed for truly clean and crisp attack and a powerful low end.  Upon first listening, I have to admit - I was surprised... and impressed.  Although dynamics don't make a big statement when playing prerecorded music, having unlimited headroom when playing piano samples is like night and day when compared with an amplifier of lesser output.  

What does this have to do with the OP's question?  The takeaway is that you really want full range and flat response - good-sounding monitors to start with - speakers that sound great with most any music you play through them, especially complex acoustic piano sounds.  Plus, you need lots of clean power if you want to produce anything close to realistic dynamics.  It's the dynamics that offer up the emotion in music.  And it's the emotion that makes it all matter.

Tim really wasn't too far off the mark when he said this:  "I don't think you can really call it "home keyboard amplification" if you haven't hand-built electrostatic panels similar to Magnepan 3.6 full-range quasi-ribbons, but then you're going to need high current, Class A tube mono blocks to drive them or you're really not doing "home keyboard amplification" in any meaningful sense of the word. And you can use the QSC K8.2s as stands for the 6 foot tall, 3 foot wide panels."

Oh, and PS... use balanced cables whenever it's appropriate.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I use a pair of Roland CM30's in stereo. I have them on stands. Play an Arranger with backing drums, bass, etc. and sometimes have my sax player join me in my loft studio. Also work well with my FP90 piano. They provide plenty of volume and adequate bass for their size. I do not program my keyboard with them. For programming I use my gig speakers, JBL Eon Ones.  Lots of choices, good luck

7 hours ago, Konnector said:

Might need some earthquake insurance though!

I'm lucky to live in a region where we don't get earthquakes, but we do get hurricanes every once in a while.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

I use a home stereo when playing my PC3 in my music room.  All my synths go into a mixer (a Behringer, that has reverb) and the outputs into a Yamaha Stereo amplifier, and then into non-descript three way speakers that are probably from the 70's.

Everything sounds amazing.  The PC3 is always glorious sounding.

When it comes to playing live, I use a small mixer and run everything into powered speakers that are up on poles.  I use 2 Traynor NX25P's.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

2 minutes ago, iluvchiclets said:

I use a home stereo when playing my PC3 in my music room.  All my synths go into a mixer (a Behringer, that has reverb) and the outputs into a Yamaha Stereo amplifier, and then into non-descript three way speakers that are probably from the 70's.

Everything sounds amazing.  The PC3 is always glorious sounding.

When it comes to playing live, I use a small mixer and run everything into powered speakers that are up on poles.  I use 2 Traynor NX25P's.

I ordered the cables I need last night, as for right now, I don't need a mixer since I only have 1 keyboard... for now.  The system I have is an Aiwa stereo receiver with a pair of Aiwa speakers, I also have a pair of smaller Yamaha bookshelf speakers that I can use too.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

My speakers at home are second hand Yamaha HS5s. Nice and small - and if I'm programming sounds for a gig, if there's too much bass there - there probably is. Don't do much serious mixing - it's more preparation for stuff.

I did use to use a couple of donated active Mission subs (amp broken) with a Pioneer hifi amp added just for fun.

But, then, 25 years ago - all I had was a couple of no name bookshelf speakers and a sub; probably a Kenwood or Pioneer amp, and knew nothing about combining inputs (via screw terminal homemade jacks from Tandy - UK (RadioShack) to ends cut from RCA phono cables) and how many speakers you could hook up before the amp got very warm!

Making a living out of it and nothing really blew up. It's all about being happy.

I'm using a pair of JBL305P MkIIs at my desk. For the "room" I've tried a couple of other options which didn't work out: HK Lucas Nano 600 and a pair of Yorkville EXM Mobile 8s.

I've changed direction and am now looking at medium/higher-end active monitors such as Neumann KH120s or Adam A7Xs. Leaning toward the Neumanns, but have to bear in mind I might want a sub with these later. The end result would be a lot pricier but should cover my needs for room speakers better then just the nearfields on the desk.

Here for the gear.

This would never work with a drummer and is just an idea for solo- practice use...

I stole the idea from someone else who posted it on this forum:   When I'm rehearsing a show, learning songs, or doing organ practice, I now use a TV soundbar.  Plopped on a music stand, or directly on top of the organ.   Great way to monitor (at obviously low volume)  in stereo. 
  Live, I use IEMs 95% of the time.   But for rehearsing, it gets fatiguing  wearing headphones/IEMs after a couple of hours.  This has been a great solution.  Especially when doing mundane stuff like programing patches.  

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Hi Mike,

Vizio.  Repurposed, probably  got it 2 years ago.    There are still a few with 1/8" (Aka "aux") inputs you have to really look.   Amazon has a ton of  nice USB powered ones intended for computer use that come with an 1/8" cable attached.   Can't find the link at the moment, but  recently got one of the  bigger Trotronics brands ones  for my office Mac mini during a lighting sale.  It's louder than I'd ever need, but I can easily see using it for light keys use.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

Thanks obxa. The USB-powered soundbars are obviously going to max out at 5W power. I have an old (pre-USB) Dell soundbar designed for computer use - 12V DC power and 10W, actually sounds quite nice for quiet/nearfield use. But for rehearsals I would be looking in the region of 50W of power (and of course I know that SPL is the real measure not power output).

Cheers, Mike.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Thanks obxa. The USB-powered soundbars are obviously going to max out at 5W power. I have an old (pre-USB) Dell soundbar designed for computer use - 12V DC power and 10W, actually sounds quite nice for quiet/nearfield use. But for rehearsals I would be looking in the region of 50W of power (and of course I know that SPL is the real measure not power output).

Cheers, Mike.

I have one of these Dell soundbars too, though these days I rarely use it, I got it included when I bought my monitor used like 6 years ago.