Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland VS840GX for $400?

Local store has a used one in good condition, with manual. Think that's a fair price? Still trying to buy my first digital recorder to do demos.

It has a zip drive. I have a portable zip drive, as well.

I want to be able to put the files into my computer to convert to MP3 and email the files and put on a website.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I checked out Ebay. Don't understand... the 840 models use zip disks for storage and have less faders than the 880, which has a hard drive. But the 840 models sell for more. I don't understand that at all.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

jeez,I didn't think I could even get $100.00 for my 840EX.Maybe I should rethink my strategy.Personally I wouldn't invest in something that uses a zip drive for storage(anymore),although Iv'e seen some mods posted at VS Planet that had Laptop HD's instead of zip drives.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

I wouldn't buy it! Zip drives are going by the wayside! Get a unit with a harddrive in it. They're out there. I have one of these that I'm trying to unload. Looking for a fair price as it is in mint condition. Barely used. I believe it has a 10GigHD. Not sure. A larger drive can be installed as per Fostex.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/24/240013.jpg

This model has been discontinued but it's a good starter unit. I'm asking $300 OBO for it.

www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

make sure that whatever you get that it doesn't have a proprietary audio format, even if it sounds

good. I had a vs1680 once, sounded great but recorded in rolands proprietary atrac format..an excercise in frustration when I was ready to process material in a computer.

Confusion, confusion, confusion. Man, so sick of this! I finally threw up my hands and said screw it, I'll buy the Tascam Pocketstudio 5 but I think it doesn't record in 44.1. Heck, I just want something to do 44.1 recordings if possible and be able to transfer it to my computer directly, like USB, without having to re-record through the sound card. I might just forget the 44.1 'requirement.' Tired of confusion.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Congrats...!

You are experiencing what I call 'option anxiety'

But, it's over now, so you can start working.

Have fun...

PS- I do not know if you have a walgreens near you, but, around here they all have clearance racks, and I have found some silly deals on smart media cards and the like.

Originally posted by Nawledge:

make sure that whatever you get that it doesn't have a proprietary audio format, even if it sounds

good. I had a vs1680 once, sounded great but recorded in rolands proprietary atrac format..an excercise in frustration when I was ready to process material in a computer.

Yeah. We have an VS880ex and are trying to get the music it into a computer for mixing. What a pain, though it's do-able (www.vsplanet.com has a great discussion board).

What's the price of a 4 or 8-track input soundcard or peripheral to use with software? More and more, I'm thinking that's a better option than an old Roland.

Originally posted by DC:

Yeah, I'd definitely go the sound card route. Many of them come with full blown versions of recording software as an extra. Duke, check the Emu 1212 card. It'll give you all you need for two bills.

We have a Dell desktop here but it would not be convenient. More convenient would be the Dell 7500 laptop with 256mb RAM. I dunno if it could work good with another soundcard or which type.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

We tried recording on a VS1680, and had horrible learning curve problems. Then we learned that the proprietary language it uses to store files would not allow exchange to other computer-based systems and (probably) MP3.

I'm having my own hill to climb gettin' my Cubase stuff working again, and Steinberg just took their forum down for "maintenance", right after I posed my question: .

Should I rebias my computer after I degauss the hard drive? :D

Actually, while it was working, my Tascam US-428 and Cubase combo was really nice. I just tried to do something that put the 'puters tail in a crack and I'm still picking up the pieces. If you end up buying something from a local store, make sure someone there knows how to operate it so that you won't be trying to decipher instructions that were written by engineers who speak ESL.

Good luck,

Henry

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Archived