Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ddrum NIO

ElmerJFudd

ddrum has a new pad similar in design to previous offerings from Yamaha and Roland.  But they've managed to put it on the market for a MSRP of $399.99.  

https://www.ddrum.com/product?id=ddnio

Product Details:

9 Isolated Rubber Pads

2 Dual Zone Trigger Inputs

2 Foot Pedal Inputs

1/4 Headphone Output

1/4 Stereo outputs L/R with Volume Control

1/8 Stereo Aux Input

USB -A port and USB- B port

5 Pin MIDI IN & OUT

30 Preset Kits (5 are ddrum series kits)

20 User kits

608 Total Sounds

512 MB of Storage for Loading Sounds or Loops

Includes headphone adapter for 1/8 connector

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I like the $400 price point. Looking forward to testing it. I have a Roland SP-30, and even have my old SP-10 that got me started with electronic drums. Use them both in my V-drum setup. I wonder when Nio will be available? Sweetwater does not even list it yet.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

23 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Wait - there's still such a thing as ddrum? :idk:

dB

Is there?  Or did someone buy the name?  Either way. They have a well featured from pad reminiscent of the Yamaha DTX that is half the price of it’s something you need.  

I'm reasonably confident that the NIO is based on the Avatar HXW PD705 pad that's been available on Amazon for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/HXW-Percussion-9-Trigger-Multipad-Tabletop/dp/B08XYSF9VQ

spacer.png

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I've actually been looking into percussion pads/multipads recently as I've started getting more into the percussion side of things. It's been a while since there's been innovation in this area, at least for pads you can use as a full mini-kit (the SPD-SX doesn't let you use a hihat pedal)...Yamaha's DTX Multi 12 is arguably the best contender still and it's over ten years old with very limited memory. Roland's Octapad SPD-30 is also around that age and you're completely locked in to the sounds it comes with, and the Alesis Strike Multipad has its own flaws. I ended up just buying one of the cheaper Alesis Samplepad Pro units since I'll be using external pads for the most important parts of the kit anyways (snare, hihat, kick, haven't decided for the 4th one yet as it's only single-zone).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

I have Roland HandSonic (HPD-20) that I quite like.  

My last percussion controller was an  (SPD-11), and I like the Handsonic much better.  More nuance and better finger control.  I got a kick and Hi-hat pedal for it as well.

dB

Ya anything you feel comfortable tapping, hitting, sticking whatever - is the best controller.  I feel like the point of pads is to get the varied velocities and human feeling of beating on drums.  Otherwise you’d just program or play it on your midi keyboard.  Folks who have spent more time than me developing stick technique will play cooler stuff and have different ideas. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

I'm reasonably confident that the NIO is based on the Avatar HXW PD705 pad that's been available on Amazon for a while.

https://www.amazon.com/HXW-Percussion-9-Trigger-Multipad-Tabletop/dp/B08XYSF9VQ

spacer.png

Striking, isn’t it?  Pun intended.  The similarities.  :) 
I wonder if the firmware is the same.  Hmmm. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2022 at 12:21 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

Ya anything you feel comfortable tapping, hitting, sticking whatever - is the best controller.  I feel like the point of pads is to get the varied velocities and human feeling of beating on drums.  Otherwise you’d just program or play it on your midi keyboard.  Folks who have spent more time than me developing stick technique will play cooler stuff and have different ideas. 

I have the first version of the Roland Handsonic. I like it, added a kick pedal.

I also have a Korg Wavedrum Global. Nothing I've tried compares to it for touch sensitivity, tonal variation, etc. It really is fantastic to play. 

No MIDI, no samples, pressure sensitive for pitch and velocity. If you turn it up enough, you can hear your fingernails scraping across the head. 

If I could have only one, that would be it. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.