Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody recognize this guy's guitar?

picker

I can’t place the guitar.  I can think of a lot of similar designs, but when I look, the headstocks are wrong.  And even though Mike Matney has been around a while, his stuff isn’t on Equipboard.

You might try contacting him directly via his Facebook page for that band or his other project, The Screeners 

https://www.facebook.com/The-Screeners-104144267981177/videos/mike-matney-vocalsguitar-the-screeners/556745038323477/

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBoyAndTheAverageRatBand

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

• Like 5

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

45 minutes ago, wraub said:

Ya beat me to it, wraub!

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 1 year later...

Howdy! I wandered over here from the Keyboard Corner to see if anyone can identify the guitar in the first 2 seconds of this clip:

• Like 1

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

1 hour ago, Synthaholic said:

Howdy! I wandered over here from the Keyboard Corner to see if anyone can identify the guitar in the first 2 seconds of this clip:

Probably a 1973 to 1976 Gibson SG Standard; note the wonky "harmonica bridge". That bridge told me that it was an early/mid '70s Gibson SG, Google told me '73 to '76 specifically.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, I caught that one last night . . .

The bridge and the stain put it in the mid-1970's, like @Caevan O’Shitesez. Previously, you had your choice of a darker "Walnut" stain, or "Cherry Red".

There was an Ampeg solid-body line around that time, Guitar and Bass, with a very similar design, but the body was more deeply contoured than the SG.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

51 minutes ago, Winston Psmith said:

Yeah, I caught that one last night . . .

The bridge and the stain put it in the mid-1970's, like @Caevan O’Shitesez. Previously, you had your choice of a darker "Walnut" stain, or "Cherry Red".

Isn't that one hanging on the wall in that video a faded old Cherry on Mahogany? Or is that what you're saying, that the bridge and the Cherry stain combined informed you of its vintage?

53 minutes ago, Winston Psmith said:

There was an Ampeg solid-body line around that time, Guitar and Bass, with a very similar design, but the body was more deeply contoured than the SG.

Yes there was!

Back in the early/mid '80s, I got all excited when my own Mom told me that she'd seen a guitar and case in the window of a second-hand shop in a nearby small town, "an electric guitar, with pointy horns- it looks like it's just solid wood; it looks very 'Devilish'! It says $200 on the price tag... "

I asked, "Is it red?" She said, "No, it looks like wood... "

I knew, it had to be a Gibson SG, or the similar enough Ampeg (the "Super Stud"!). I went there with cash in my pocket...

...sure enough, there it was- but it was the Ampeg Super Stud Bass...

• Like 2

@Caevan O’Shite- Short answer, yes. The bridge plus the lighter version of the Walnut stain put it right in the mid-70's for me.

The Cherry Red stain is generally much darker and redder than the stain on the Guitar in the video clip, while the older Walnut stain was also somewhat darker. Look at pics of PT's SG Special at Woodstock, for example.

That one looks very well cared-for, because those bridges tended to corrode from long use, and, to be blunt, sweat. It wasn't long before Gibson went back to the stock T.O.M. bridge & stop tailpiece combo. OTOH, I don't think it's a great idea to have any playable Guitar mounted on the wall by its neck, particularly not an SG. Tragedy waiting to happen . . .

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

+1 WP, I have an old favorite wall-hanger hung on an outside wall that is never in use.  The rest of my guitars are kept in their cases when not in use.  Also, +1 my sweat can corrode bridges from resting my palm on them over the years.  I have learned to wipe them down (using Finger Ease on the bridge, strings and any metal parts) after every use these days. I don't spray Finger Ease directly on the neck, bridge, etc., I spray my wiping rag and glide it over the strings, bridge, pups, etc...takes about 5 seconds max!  😎

• Like 2
Take care, Larryz

2 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

OTOH, I don't think it's a great idea to have any playable Guitar mounted on the wall by its neck, particularly not an SG. Tragedy waiting to happen . . .

I agree! At the least, gravity is pulling on the neck against the pull of the strings; when in playing position, in a case, or sitting upright on a stand that doesn't hang the guitar by its neck, the equilibrium between the neck, truss-rod, and string-tension is uninterrupted. Going back and forth is bound to introduce inconsistent states and mess with the effect of the truss-rod and relief.

Not to mention the potential for a fall and a break!

• Like 3