Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Routing sound through the TV

This will come as no surprise to many of you...

I've got a NICE Sony TV. I connected my DVD player to the S-video and audio connections on the back. This allowed me to adjust the volume with the TV remote, then route the sound to a preamp and on to an amp and speakers.

Listening to my setup was less than inspiring. So, the other day I decided to route the sound from the DVD player directly to the preamp, power amp, and speakers.

WOW - BIG DIFFERENCE!!

You already suspected this, right? Well, OK, but it's not a cheap television. It shouldn't degrade the sound THAT MUCH! But it does. WHY?

Sending the DVD sound through the TV means that it's going through lots of additional integrated circuits (as opposed to discrete transistors and such). However, I didn't have any DSP affecting the sound... no surround sound effects or added EQ. But the sound was 'squashed' with no depth and constricted frequency range. I'm not kidding - running the sound directly through the preamp helped tremendously!

I'm posting this in case you have your system connected in this way. Try running the sound directly to your preamp or receiver (if you can) instead of through the TV and see if you can hear a difference. It may not be subtle.

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by hard truth:

Perhaps it is because the level is being greatly reduced by the TV unless you have the TV volume up all the way.

Well, yeah... but I turned the TV sound up to a decent level. Then I turned up the volume on my preamp. With the TV I can turn off the internal speakers so that one only hears the sound from the (Vandersteen) stereo speakers. I really think it's something else - like the inherent compression and bad sound that comes from television audio electronics. :rolleyes:

Thank you,

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

See if your TV has DSP or not. It's might be stripping the 5.1 component out of the audio, or something like that. My wifes tv sounds pretty much the same no matter how I route the audio signal. But going thru the television its not 5.1 anymore. Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Archived