Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rhodes Mark I Stage 73 keybed

9 hours ago, The Real MC said:

My 1967 sparkletop is a mutt but it is a keeper after going through three MK1 pianos with soggy action.  Sparkletop era keyset with green coiled pickups, square resonators, Raymac tines, factory bump on the pedestal; MK1 era wood/plastic/damper hammerset (they were interchangeable), missing the original (crap non-Peterson) electronics so the only way to get signal is straight off the harp.  

Hear it here; piano is going through a 1963 Selmer TruVoice Twin-Thirty which is the UK version of the Fender Twin Reverb.  Post processing stereo effect is an ADA STD-1.

The pedestal bump (aka bump mod) is THE KEY to great action.  It was omitted on Rhodes either 1968 or 1969, and not brought back until early 1980s.

Very lucky find in a store.  Played some chords and I was sold.  Great action, great sound.  Then the store put the price tag on it, and I told them to pack it up I'm buying it.  They said the seller was literally leaving the store as I was walking in.  Right place at the right time.

Great sounding Rhodes piano. Leave it to YOU Mike knowing everything that's under the Hood. That's the way a REAL Rhodes should sound!  I owned two Rhodes pianos in my life. The first one was a Mark 1 Stage Piano. The action was fine, but that model had Felt soft hammers and was way too mellow. Add to the fact that I was playing in a rock band and once the guitars started playing, no one (including me) could hear the Rhodes. So I Sold it and Bought a Lawrence Audio acoustic piano that had a built in amp and output. That was better suited for a rock band. 

When I got tired of getting blasted out by guitar players, I went solo. I'm sure I saved what was left of my hearing by getting out of bands.

Later, I bought a Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Rhodes made in 1978. What a Great sounding Rhodes. Love having Stereo and the built in FX on the front panel!

Used Rhodes pianos are a crap shoot. If the action is mush, that means whoever owned it had to pound it to be heard and there's no hope for fixing it. Move on, find a different instrument.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yes I have now a third candidate: in the SV2, there’s a tone called « MK II Stage » with I like very much. It has a good balance between low and high frequencies and seems to cut through nicely in the mix. Plus it has good level of key-off noises. Sounds really nice with just a stereo tremolo effect and a tad of reverb 😁

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jejefunkyman said:

Yes I have now a third candidate: in the SV2, there’s a tone called « MK II Stage » with I like very much. It has a good balance between low and high frequencies and seems to cut through nicely in the mix. Plus it has good level of key-off noises. Sounds really nice with just a stereo tremolo effect and a tad of reverb 😁

Yeah, clear and powerful sound. 

• Like 1

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

In Today's world lugging around a Rhodes for a live gig is not a good idea, The SV2 would be a great choice for live or studio work those of us that have a Rhodes keep it in the Studio and play it for enjoyment.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

2 hours ago, jejefunkyman said:

I had a GrandStage 73 and thought the MkII was the most authentic, but I would have dropped down the bell a bit if the function had been there. I’m assuming the SV2 has a similar Korg sound, with a lot more editing available. MkII would be my base for designing the other models - in fact I’ve redesigned some Kronos stock and Purgatory Creek Rhodes by changing some of the core samples from the MkI to MkII to build in the nuances I like.

Here for the gear.

Ok Rod, thanks for your hints, always interesting to hear from you 😁 Well, on the SV2, you can EQ the tones individually or globally, and when using the amp, there’s an additional EQ section. So yes, there’s quite some control. 
I recently listened to the Purgatory Creek demos when exploring the new Korg online shop, I found them quite good, especially the Mark I variants. I wish I could have these tones accessible in the SV2. As I don’t expect this to happen, I’m wandering how to get them. The best would have been on iOS, but I read in the forum it’s not really in their plan. The other possibility would be to get Kontakt. But then I’d have to buy a new Laptop, as the one I have is quite old. The last option would be to buy a Nautilus but I don’t have money to invest in a new keyboard right now. So I’m a bit stuck with the SV2 tones at the moment 🤷‍♂️

Personally, in recording situation, if not perfectly happy with the patch I’m playing - i’d opt for a direct out sample library (like the Purgatory Creek ones) and use no EQ or FX at all. EQ, compression, amp, and other fx can be decided later when you get to hear the Rhodes in the mix.  Many “Rhodes” lead to Rome, or so they say. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

You'll be recording midi too, right? I would. I've done sessions where the studio didn't have the facility to do that (they had protools but were audio-only, no way to get midi into their machine). I was using my laptop setup and recorded my own midi independently, then synced it up with their session later. Not a one-click operation, but very doable.

I could go on for a long time with the advantages of using midi at the session and treating the audio as a scratch or ref track. I'll spare all of you (for now, unless someone eggs me on 🙂). I would think it obvious anyway. This has been my MO for a very long time.

My .02 - use the best sound you have available even if it's not "perfect", record midi, then on your own time you can sit with the track and have the luxury to choose any number of options: keeping everything as is, or replacing with a different sound from a plugin, fixing clams or even changing a few notes here and there (you don't have to tell anybody 🙂!). Again, on my high horse: use the tools we have available to us to make the music better - "better" being a very subjective term of course. Having midi along with the software that supports and enhances it, along with excellent sounding rhodes emulations, is something I'm thankful for!

• Like 2

Taking this thread even more sideways, this video of the Studiologic NumaX shows just how much one can alter Rhodes to their liking. Modeling really is the way to go, and Studiologic has moved into the front of the line. Anyone familiar with the VTines tone editing will visualize the process right away.

Check it out from 5:00 in. 

Here for the gear.

@ReezekeysYes I’m also a big fan of recording midi at the same time as audio, for all the reasons you’re mentioning (particularly the one where you can adjust some notes here and there when you’re not happy with the timing or the pitch 😂). It also allows me to be more relaxed when performing 😁. The only problem in this particular studio is that I’d like to record in the same room as the drummer and bass player, which is unfortunately further away from the control room. So no midi cable goes from this room to the control room. I then thought about recording a midi file directly in my iPad, and sync it later with the other tracks if needed. I’m just wandering about the best way to sync. If I setup my session in Cubasis at the bpm we will be using for each track, this should be easy done, right?

Your scenario is exactly what I've faced at several studios – I'm in the room with the other musicians, and the protools rig is in the control room, with no way to route your midi there. So I record it "wild." The way I sync it up with the session file later is definitely OT for this thread so I'll pm you how I do it. It's not hard, but takes a little time and involves a few basic math skills!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So the recording session took place on the weekend. Was quite intensive as we recorded 11 tracks in one day on sunday, as saturday was dedicated to setup, soundcheck and rehearsal. But it worked in the end.

Finally I didn't use the Mark I Stage piano, but only the SV2. The factory tone called "Mark II Stage" fit well to the type of music I was recording.

This was my first real recording session with other musicians as a keyboard player, as I'm usually recording alone at home, and it's of course a completely different experience 🙂

Especially as I was starting many of the tracks alone, it put quite some pressure on me which I'm not necessarily used to lol. Of course this slightly affected my playing 😬

I have to say that I feel less pressure when playing live, even when I'm starting the tunes alone. Can't say why, but that's how it is.

• Like 2