Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on being able to practice organ at home on a budget

1. Hunting down a B3 or C3 and Leslie in playable condition? 

2. Second hand Yamaha Electone EL series - as is, or midi it up to B3X.  

3. Second hand Hammond XK3c with lower manual, stand and pedals.  

4. Second hand dual manual Mojo, KeyB or Viscount organ, Roland, Korg, MAG, Uhl, or Nord - do they all have pedal systems?  Are pedals  interchangeable?  

5. Mojo61 with lower manual and pedals.  

other ideas? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

What kind of music? Classical organ music such as Bach was played in the 1700s on non standard pedal manuals - some were straight, some radiating, different ranges etc. Modern organists in the US would mostly use a 32 note concave radiating set as found on only a few Hammond models (RT-3 etc.) 

Jazz / rock Hammond centric stuff would be best on the 25 note flat radiating B-3 style pedals. If you don't end up with a console, there are somewhat expensive pedalboards you can buy, or if you are handy you can buy a midi kit and wire up a set of pedals yourself.

Moe

---

On local FB Marketplace:

At least 18 Allen organs ranging in price from free to a few hundred to $40,000.

Five Rodgers.

One Wicks.

Free Möller pipe organ in NYC.

Lots of Electone spinets but only a couple of full size models.

A small number of large Conns for a few hundred.

Lots of Lowreys for cheap.

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

11 hours ago, mate stubb said:

What kind of music? Classical organ music such as Bach was played in the 1700s on non standard pedal manuals - some were straight, some radiating, different ranges etc. Modern organists in the US would mostly use a 32 note concave radiating set as found on only a few Hammond models (RT-3 etc.) 

Jazz / rock Hammond centric stuff would be best on the 25 note flat radiating B-3 style pedals. If you don't end up with a console, there are somewhat expensive pedalboards you can buy, or if you are handy you can buy a midi kit and wire up a set of pedals yourself.

Yes, excellent point. For me, all of it.  Classical church music, gospel, jazz, blues rock.  Mainly getting used to dual manuals, the light action, bass and volume pedals - so conceptual more than anything.  I don’t want anything that predates midi though so it’s at least useful as a controller to drive better sounds.  

I think it would be very difficult to find a dual manual organ with pedals and MIDI for less than $1000.  

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

One option no one mentioned here is grabbing a Hammond M3 with the various mods that give you lefthand bass, screaming upper register notes, etc. I purchased one for around $300 and it's sitting in my small living room apartment right next to a Leslie 145. Of course, if you add a line out through modification, you can run it through a Mini Vent for another $250-300. Might be that this setup doesn't match your criteria, but I'm just putting it out there since it worked nicely for me when I had the same itch for a home setup on a tight budget.

• Like 2

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

13 minutes ago, Noah DC said:

One option no one mentioned here is grabbing a Hammond M3 with the various mods that give you lefthand bass, screaming upper register notes, etc. I purchased one for around $300 and it's sitting in my small living room apartment right next to a Leslie 145. Of course, if you add a line out through modification, you can run it through a Mini Vent for another $250-300. Might be that this setup doesn't match your criteria, but I'm just putting it out there since it worked nicely for me when I had the same itch for a home setup on a tight budget.

Yeah you know how it goes. My usual answer when I get called to sub for church is i’ll play the piano, I’m not really an organ player.  And I love all styles of keyboard music.  If I put in some practice time, grab a few lessons, at least I could say I get by. 

I use a DMC 122 with a 30 note flat Viscount pedalboard (with two expression pedals). These go through my MacBook running whatever I want to play (Hauptwerk/ VB3/ MainStage etc.). I’ve been using this setup for practice of classical stuff at home, and occasionally take the DMC out for gigs. It’s flexible and portable, and has worked well for me. Although not cheap, it came in cheaper than most things that were around at the time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JamPro said:

OK - I'll bite: what features of the Mojo Classic made that your choice?  And what does it cost to get one?

It’s a fairly modern (2014 or newer) dual manual instrument that supports a pedal system.  The company still exists, one can get questions answered and access to parts.  The instrument has been around long enough that there are used models to be had - typically from people retiring from playing or upgrading to newer or higher end models.  It’s also surprisingly lighter than I thought it would be.  Although I just needed something at home to practice on as my usual reply to a organ job is - I’m not really an organ player.  

4 hours ago, Outkaster said:

I have access to:

Model D

CV's

C-3

B-3

A-100

C-2

That’s amazing. No, I simply have never had access to any organ of any brand, model or type to practice on.  Church organ, pipe organ, I’ve sat at. And I’d like to grab some traditional church weddings, do parts of a service on the organ rather than on piano. Play some gospel, jazz, rock organ.  I acknowledge there’s a tradition there that is different than flicking the organ patch on a workstation or digital keyboard.  So my experiment begins.  

• Like 1

I sold an A-105 that needed some parts and a lot of labor that I couldn't manage, so I sold it to a church.  It was a great value when I bought it.

Bought a Viscount Legend Live and a cusom hard case for it and now I can gig with it, even though I have only done so a couple of times.

• Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

16 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

That’s amazing. No, I simply have never had access to any organ of any brand, model or type to practice on.  Church organ, pipe organ, I’ve sat at. And I’d like to grab some traditional church weddings, do parts of a service on the organ rather than on piano. Play some gospel, jazz, rock organ.  I acknowledge there’s a tradition there that is different than flicking the organ patch on a workstation or digital keyboard.  So my experiment begins.  

Congrats Elmer! Enjoy. The Mojo is a fine instrument. 

My experience is the exact opposite of yours. I played organ for around 10 years before deciding to learn how to play the piano. My journey has taught me that the commonality between these two instruments is limited to their similar looking keyboards.

When I play my Mojo through a Leslie (i.e., I have a 145) it sounds amazing and very close to a real Hammond. Just sayin' in case you want to take it to another level someday 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Quinn said:

Congrats Elmer! Enjoy. The Mojo is a fine instrument. 

My experience is the exact opposite of yours. I played organ for around 10 years before deciding to learn how to play the piano. My journey has taught me that the commonality between these two instruments is limited to their similar looking keyboards.

When I play my Mojo through a Leslie (i.e., I have a 145) it sounds amazing and very close to a real Hammond. Just sayin' in case you want to take it to another level someday 😎

The fastest way to fool ones ear into thinking your clone is a Hammond is pairing it with a Leslie!  

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, ElmerJFudd said:

1. Hunting down a B3 or C3 and Leslie in playable condition? 

2. Second hand Yamaha Electone EL series - as is, or midi it up to B3X.  

3. Second hand Hammond XK3c with lower manual, stand and pedals.  

4. Second hand dual manual Mojo, KeyB or Viscount organ, Roland, Korg, MAG, Uhl, or Nord - do they all have pedal systems?  Are pedals  interchangeable?  

5. Mojo61 with lower manual and pedals.  

other ideas? 

A MIDI keyboard. Then you can have all of those and so much more for well under $1000.

This thread is also an off shoot of an earlier post of mine where I was considering organs newer than 1985 because it would be great to have midi.  As a priority over a vintage instrument?  Maybe so, as I’m out of my element on care, maintenance, repair of the real deal.  Although I’m sure these things can be learned. 

This is where I’m setting up (basement) at home. Wiring pedals today.  The weather is crap again and that works out fine with me! :) 

3A9CE129-F256-496E-B247-BC2AAD6FD662.thumb.jpeg.e44667fbd887971cb7940242835cd59c.jpeg

• Like 2