Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

http://www.dn.se/content/1/c6/28/62/67/oversvamning425.jpg

Please make it stop, we don't need no more rain at the moment.

It's not right where I live, but also not so far away that I can relax... :freak:

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the rain comes

They run and hide their heads

And might as well be dead

When the rain comes

When the rain comes

When the sun shines

They slip into the shade

And sip their lemonade

When the sun shines

When the sun shines

Rain...I don't mind

Shine...the weather's fine

- Some guy named Lennon

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Thanks, Teddy, now move over & let...

With all sympathy for this problem, one unfortunate thing, which might apply here, is that people often desire to live in locations where it's dangerous or untenable.

There's a creek in Austin, TX, that regularly floods but people insist on living next to it.

There's a town in Kentucky that gets flooded so regularly (some residents have been given Federal aid perhaps a dozen times) that they are actually trying to get the US Federal government to finance deconstructing the place, build the land up 20~30 feet & rebuild the town!

Many areas of the Western US are prone to wildfires but people maintain their homes there....the examples could go on forever (& of, course this sort of thing is not confined to the USA)...

My point is that some places are gonna have these problems because they're not good places to live, as scenic or secluded or as available as they may be.

Why do we (as a species) want to sprawl all over the pplace & then complain about the conditions?

"The bears are in my backyard!"

"The deer are eating my shrubs!"

:rolleyes:

The last home that I purchased was in a flood zone, although this information was not disclosed in the sale of the home. I was not aware of the zoning of the home until I went refinance the home and the information turned up in the survey conducted by the banking institution.

When I purchased the home, it was in the hands of Fanny Mae, a HUD repossession, and the contract was sold several times during the purchase and closing of the property. After learning that I had been spoofed on not only the zoning of the property, but also the fact that a main support beam had been cut into, I contacted an attorney to go back on the prior owners.... the original company that Fanny Mae used to handle the transaction had gone "out of business" so there was absolutely no retaliation available. I was required to take out flood insurance that cost me over $600.00 a year, and the repair of the structure of the home set me back nearly $5,000.00 to have professionals come in and jack the house back up while installing a support beam back across the front of the home. What had happened, is the previous resident had decided to take out a two car garage and put a bay window in. When he done so, he cut up into the headers above the garage to get the bay window level with the one on the other side of the the home; there were two identical sides to the home. I pulled the second bay out and went back in with a 2 car garage; while properly redoing the support beneath the second floor.

Fortunately, I had refinanced and learned of the flood zoning because when the great flood of 1991 intruded on the Kansas City area; I was able to rest easy knowing that I had full coverage in the event of flooding. The waters got as close as making my front lawn soggy with standing water on it; but the water did not make it up onto my 6 inch entryway leading into the home.

Not always do people deliberately buy into flood prone areas. The area was a very attractive area and several miles away from the river. What I wasn't aware of is the fact that there was a creek that was up hill from my place, while my place was on grounds nearly level with those by the river. With nowhere to run out to when the river was swollen, the creek would overflow and flood the area.

Mats.....

We've had our fair share of rain in Kansas City this year, and possibly more rain fall than the year of the 1991 flood; but it has been a steady season without the downflow of excess waters from upstate regions pushing our river banks. I think that if we were to get a REALLY hard rain that lasted for a few days we'd be in trouble here.

Ted,

What does the rain guage look like this year in KC compared to that of the 1991 flood? It'd be interesting to know.... we'd had one WET season this year. Of course, I'm not complaining, the AC bill has been very moderate this year. Today and yesterday were the first days where we have broke into the 90's; is this correct??? That's unbelievable.... almost like tropical weather here.

Ani Fa, that's a drag...but per my point, someone deliberately built that place there & foisted it off on others, who then...

Places that get flooded regularly don't just suddenly occur but have a long history.

That doesn't mean someone like you, unfamiliar with that situation, should suffer but that someone deliberately built ther disregarding the likely outcome.

Often the case, as described above, is worse---people stay in locations that suffer these conditions; sometimes, like those who repeatedly get reimbursed for flooding, etc., they may even profit---or suffer dangerous, deadly results.

Last summer was the warmest on record in Scotland. I wasn't here.

So far, this summer is the wettest on record in Scotland. I am here.

It has been shockingly bad here. Dark skies all day every day. Strong winds. LOTS of rain. It's supposed to be summer. It really is depressing.

It is truly incredible how areas around the globe are experiencing odd weather for the supposed season. Perhaps all of the bombing in Iraq has upset the climate altogether. Strange....

I wouldn't solely blame the bombing in Iraq Ani, but there's no doubt that we humans have messed up our planet and it's functionality.

Of course this could just be part of a natural climate change with the seasons shifting - it must happen, but if it was entirely natural I'm sure we wouldn't be experiencing such drastic changes so soon. The temperature swing between this year and last is incredible.

Lakeside - Thanks for trying, but it's no consolation. This time last year I was in California, the year before that Philadelphia, I wish I was in either of those places now!

Its a nice sunny day so far in London but i can see the clouds are yet again coming over.

What the hells going on lately?

Its been miserable and we have had 1 week of summer weather so far in the UK if that.

Lets hope it cheers up cause i'm of surfing in August to Cornwall and any sign of rain, i wont be going!

Well i guess this is what we get when we mess up our enviroment! :mad:

It's not funny.

In the last years we've had some incredibly hot summers and either very cold or warm winters.

Do you remember the floodings in central/eastern Europe? The heat wave in France when many people died?

Strange weather and disasters has happened before, but not this often.

It's like the planet is totally out of whack.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Nursers, I'll trade you some of our rain for some of your sun, any day!

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

The heat wave in France when many people died?

I don't mean to talk bad about the dead but a lot of those people died because they didn't know how to cope with the heat. In the US, Australia and other hot countries people take precautions, where sun sreen, cover themselves up a bit and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. In France a lot of people were going out and baking themselves in the sun whilst dehydrating themselves by drinking alcohol. Of course that's what a lot of French people usually do, but with that heat they were doing themselves serious damage. Also, a lot of places dont have good air conditioning because they don't usually need it.

Find yourself something to do indoors!

You're supposed to get two hours of sunlight every day, it's good for you apparently. Yeah right, try finding two hours of sunlight every day in Scotland!

I know what you mean about weather depression though. Some of my American friends experienced it last year. It was a bad May on the East coast. We had planned parties for friends who were graduating but had to be cancelled or held indoors due to the weather. Everyone was feeling down and most of them didn't know why as they'd never experienced weather like that at that time of year.

It's hard to motivate yourself when the outside world looks so dull

I think the "indoors" is what killed a lot of French people. I would assume that a good bit of the dead were elderly, and quite possibly, elderly that weren't quite in possession of all of their faculties. That happens here in the U.S., too...oldsters will sit in their apartments, without fans or air conditioning, and with the windows closed. You just can't do that. They probably would have been much better off to go outside.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived