Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

That Siblings Thang

Brad Kaenel

The "Lawrence" thread reminded me that "Girl Named Tom" just recently won The Voice (two brothers and sister).  (Plus, I needed an excuse to learn how to create a new thread with the new forum software...)

Name your favorite "siblings" act(s).  Real singers/players (no "Partridge Family" 😊)

A few of mine...

The Carpenters (GOAT, IMHO...)

The Jacksons

The Pointer Sisters

Heart

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ksoper said:

There was a twin sister act out of Nashville, The Kinleys, heavily influenced by the Everly Brothers. They only did two albums but they were solid. Eerie harmonies. 

Everlys were a hair before my time, but I remember the Kinleys -- drop the mic on both.  Something magic I can't explain with the harmony of certain duos; there can only be two pitches, but it just sounds like more.  Maybe there's something about the acoustic quality ("eerie") of some sibling voices that just "fit" and sound incredible together.

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

Zapp, The Gap Band, Isley Brothers, Emotions, Jones Girls, Clark Sisters, Jodeci, H-Town and Soulive to name a few. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

One of my favorite groups when I was a little kid The Ronettes were sister and a cousin.   I remember seeing Duane and Greg Allman before the Allman Brother as the Hourglass and they had a couple big singles.    The Isley Brothers and not one of my favorite bands but heard Van Halen quite a bit back in the day.   Of course the Brecker Brothers, Heath Brothers and getting funky with The Brothers Johnson and EWF.  The Fowler Brothers had a band called Air Pocket.  I think all of the Fowler brother played in Zappa's bands at one point or another. Not sure how much they did together but the amazing Jones brother Elvin, Hank, and Thad Jones Even though they didn't record together much the Winter Brothers Johnny and Edgar.  Edgar Winter's White Trash album still one of my favorited.   Mentioning them can't forget Rick Derringer first hit was with his brothers Hang On Sloopy by The McCoys.  Another I saw once was the Chambers Brothers and their hit Time Has Come Today.  Aw almost forgot a band I got to work with in the studio later on was The Cowsills.  Billy Cowsill was doing a solo album at Sound City and called his brothers in to do background vocals.  They were amazing in the studio, Billy said just put up one mic and they will do the rest.  This will be the last Pat and Lolly Vegas who had a hit or two in early 60's and later again as the band called Redbone.   

So many great sibling acts mentioned above.  I have none to add that wouldn’t be repetitive but wanted to note that I’ve played in bands with my brother since he was 14 and I was 16 and it’s such a joy.  Gives us a great excuse to catch up regularly and stay in touch.

• Like 1

The Wood Brothers

( Chris Wood’s bass solo on live video of Luckiest Man blows me away)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

The Statler Brothers (two of them were actually brothers, Don and Harold Reid)

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

Proof no one reads all existing posts in these threads. I immediately thought of Oasis having read a news story recently and glossed over K’s comment. Although he said “not” he was mentioning them. Thanks for the thumb up.

I see a lot of repeats here. 

Adding The Corrs

“Erie” sister harmonies mentioned ….there can be an enchanting effect in harmonies. Steve Perry harmonizing with himself is an example. It’s not just the voice. It’s the choice of notes, pitches and variations. (In Perry’s case, it is not evident in every harmony. Some of his were more gospel-like.) One other singer, one who can never be replaced, is Brad Delp of Boston. Singers may sing all of his parts but no one can think like Brad and compose new harmonies as Brad would have approached songs. 

• Like 1