Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

From M-Audio Air 192/6 to SSL2+ Audio USB AI

Hi help and new here. Maybe some of you can help. Is it worth upgrading to SSL2+ Audio from M-Audio Air 192/6 or they are just like same? Thank you in advance.

Some people said engineering behind SSL is same with Universal Audio. Correct me if I am wrong. Use will be is for home studio.

----------------

Nord Stage EX 76, Roland RD800, Roland RD300NX, Nord Stage 2EX Compact, Yamaha CP73

First question would be: Are you happy or unhappy with your current M-Audio Air?

What aspects make you happy and which ones make you unhappy? 

I don't know the answer to the SSL same as M-Audio engineering question. I've no experience with either of them. I'm guessing either one should be able to deliver the goods. It could still be that you prefer one layout to another, I know I do. Some things are just easier to use and that is always nice too. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

And, my second question would be - what are your studio monitors (speakers, not displays)?

It's only second because your question is about interfaces, otherwise it should be the first question. 

Honestly, if you have a decent modern interface for your system you may want to look at upgrading other aspects of your studio. 

Monitors and room treatment will make a bigger difference than an updated interface, then microphones and mic preamps. 

Thanks Dave for chiming in on the SSL 2+! 

9 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

First question would be: Are you happy or unhappy with your current M-Audio Air?

What aspects make you happy and which ones make you unhappy? 

I don't know the answer to the SSL same as M-Audio engineering question. I've no experience with either of them. I'm guessing either one should be able to deliver the goods. It could still be that you prefer one layout to another, I know I do. Some things are just easier to use and that is always nice too. 

I am happy with M-Audio because it give me good recording with my APs/EPs, pads, synths sounds. I have no experience with SSL2+ but it was recommended by others to use (said this is more professional brand) as they said M-Audio isnt as being used by others (probably this is just a hearsay).

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

And, my second question would be - what are your studio monitors (speakers, not displays)?

It's only second because your question is about interfaces, otherwise it should be the first question. 

Honestly, if you have a decent modern interface for your system you may want to look at upgrading other aspects of your studio. 

Monitors and room treatment will make a bigger difference than an updated interface, then microphones and mic preamps. 

Thanks Dave for chiming in on the SSL 2+! 

I dont have monitors. At the moment looking for Yamaha HS7 to buy in the next 2 weeks. No treatment at the moment other than carpeted floors. I will try to buy acoustic panel next. So it seems upgrading wont matter until the changes has been done and assesed? Thank you.

----------------

Nord Stage EX 76, Roland RD800, Roland RD300NX, Nord Stage 2EX Compact, Yamaha CP73

1 minute ago, RDMusic504 said:

I am happy with M-Audio because it give me good recording with my APs/EPs, pads, synths sounds. I have no experience with SSL2+ but it was recommended by others to use (said this is more professional brand) as they said M-Audio isnt as being used by others (probably this is just a hearsay).

I dont have monitors. At the moment looking for Yamaha HS7 to buy in the next 2 weeks. No treatment at the moment other than carpeted floors. I will try to buy acoustic panel next. So it seems upgrading wont matter until the changes has been done and assesed? Thank you.

Nice. The Yamaha HS7 got a good review by Sound on Sound: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/yamaha-hs7-hs8s

Going from no monitors to monitors is a HUGE upgrade, changing interfaces from M-Audio to SSL won't get you to the same place. Room treatment will make a big difference too. 

It sounds like you go mostly direct with keyboards? While you don't need a selection of microphones in that case, you'll probably find it useful to have at least one good mic. 

Maybe you do? 

We can talk about that later, please check back in after you've had your monitors for a couple of weeks and let us know what you think. Cheers, Kuru

Thanks Kuru, will check it out after it has been delivered. I recently bought a Rode NT1-A and AT M40X so I can clearly hear. But I think monitors will make a difference. Cheers

----------------

I use headphones as well but they are no substitute for monitor speakers. 

Somewhere around 2008 I stepped into a pawn shop and they had a pair of Mackie HR 824s in excellent condition for $600 with a week return for full refund. 

These are the older USA made models. I bought them and it changed everything. I still have them and they still sound great. 

We can talk about isolating your monitors from the surface they are resting on after you get them set up. It made a big difference with my Mackie but they are sitting on the shelf of a fairly mundane desk. Isolation can be very affordable and effective. 

This studio thing is a process, sometimes little by little. Sounds like you have a decent microphone and some nice headphones already too. 🙂

I am upgrading little by little with the budget I saved. I believe in buying decent and quality products rather than being sorry later because I didnt listen from those people who knows things, experienced before and not study well that products. Well I am just starting for now and hopefully in the right direction.

• Like 1

----------------

Wise policy. 

I was a photo major a long time ago and my mentor (who photographed weddings for a living) told me two things that have stuck with me.

Buy nice or buy twice.

One is none and two is one.

I think the first one may take care of the second one!!!! I will try something if I get it at a price that makes it easy to get my money back out or make a profit. 

If I want it to last, I do my homework and choose carefully. It's paid off time and again. I think you are on a good path!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2022 at 7:47 PM, KuruPrionz said:

Wise policy. 

I was a photo major a long time ago and my mentor (who photographed weddings for a living) told me two things that have stuck with me.

Buy nice or buy twice.

One is none and two is one.

I think the first one may take care of the second one!!!! I will try something if I get it at a price that makes it easy to get my money back out or make a profit. 

If I want it to last, I do my homework and choose carefully. It's paid off time and again. I think you are on a good path!!!!

Hi Kuru, Yamaha HS7 delivered and love the sound. I am satisfied with the sound. As you said it might not be the interface but the quality of the output sound. Made a big difference. Thanks!

• Like 1

----------------