Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Audio or video?

Just a quick post on one challenge for podcasts - do you keep things as audio only or move to video?

With The Keyboard Chronicles, we've decided (after 40 episodes) to move to BOTH. The audio only route has worked well to date, but we've decided to expand things to video. This will create a lot more work for each episode, but we're also hopeful it expands our audience even further.

One advantage of the video is that subscribers can see the guest, who may be a hero / inspiration of theirs. It also perosnalises the hosts a little more I think. It will be an interesting journey and will report back. Paul and I have recorded our first two video episodes (plus two bonus content episodes) this week, with another guest coming in on Thursday, so plenty in the can to edit.

Love to hear your thoughts! Also please note Paul's t-shirt @Dave Bryce ;)

Cursor_and_video2379050304_mp4.jpg

• Like 3

Ack! We have to see the faces that make these crazy accents now??? :eek: 🙈

Actually, having podcasts on that site will probably increase your audience via people searching for the guests. 

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

1 hour ago, Joe Muscara said:

Ack! We have to see the faces that make these crazy accents now??? :eek: 🙈

Actually, having podcasts on that site will probably increase your audience via people searching for the guests. 

Indeed :) All the previous episodes are on YouTube now, but as audio only and they only get a tiny percentage of the audience that the overall podcast has. Having the video versions should make it better - I've even purchased Final Cut Pro to try and make the video (but not me) pretty :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr Nursers said:

I've even purchased Final Cut Pro to try and make the video (but not me) pretty

I dunno, FCP is pretty powerful. Are you sure there isn't some "Brad Pitterizer" or "George Clooneyizer" in there? Heck, even a "George Costanzarizer" would be an improvement. ;) 

• Haha 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

2 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

I dunno, FCP is pretty powerful. Are you sure there isn't some "Brad Pitterizer" or "George Clooneyizer" in there? Heck, even a "George Costanzarizer" would be an improvement. ;) 

I'll see what I can find though I think you're being cruel to @CowboyNQ, he was always going to lack something being on screen with me.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/20/2022 at 6:18 AM, MortSahlFan said:

Video, because I prefer it, but also because I only access YouTube via TV

Just another follow-up on this: you raise a good point @MortSahlFan - although interestingly the VAST majority of the podcast's consumers are on the audio feed, there's no doubt video is the bigger growing area from what I can tell. You pretty much have to do both nowadays.

• 8 months later...

For our Nightaxians podcast, we automatically did video because it's largely about photography and felt natural. Perhaps we're coming at it from the opposite end. We've talked about using the audio for podcasts, but that was last year, and we've never gotten around to it.

• Like 1