Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any "Mixerman Diaries" fans?

If any of you follow the Mixerman Diaries a couple of years ago on Pro Sound Web, he has apparently finished them and put them out in book form. They can be had at www.mixerman.net.

For those of you who have not read them, they are a diary of an AE recording a major label band. It's a pretty funny read and gives an interesting insight into the recording world.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good grief! I read some of it when he first started out. It was definitely amusing. I don't think I'd run out and buy a book, though...

Originally posted by Bunny.:

I'll definitely buy it. It's much more than merely "amusing" to me. It's part of my life experience in a published book. I mean, how many novels are there about recording music professionally?

It's all that. I just wouldn't get it, but really, I could totally understand why someone would. You're right - there's not that many books about this at all.

Originally posted by boosh:

Hey,....hangon,....waiddaminut,...

Why isn't Wewus here yelling SP.. ???

I'll take some of what boosh is smoking.
I swear your honor,I didn't inhale...

But really,.... post count one and than telling us about a book we can buy? Is this Oprah's Book club? ;)

Or is Orbb a life time member who started posting under a new handle? Was just wondering why everyone answers seriously... Most off the time all you freaks start shouting :" SP..!!!!!"

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Hey, have a good show tomorrow, Ken! Knock 'em dead, or something. :wave:

Lets' see... other books on this subject:

Behind the Glass by Howard Massey

Good Vibrations by Mark Cunningham

Confessions of a Record Producer by Moses Avalon

A Year with Swollen Hands (out of print?) by Brian Eno

None of those are novels, though. ;)

Originally posted by boosh:

But really,.... post count one and than telling us about a book we can buy? Is this Oprah's Book club? ;)

Or is Orbb a life time member who started posting under a new handle? Was just wondering why everyone answers seriously... Most off the time all you freaks start shouting :" SP..!!!!!"

Hey, you didn't expect me to post this announcement under my regular "Mixerman" login, did you? I mean, that would just be blatant.

I've read the MM Diaries and found it entertaining but the fact that he is (was) anonymous and you don't know if the story is true rubs me the wrong way. He also has a very negative point of view on a job you should love.

'Behind the Glass' and 'Hit Men' are cool.

my band: Mission 5

Hey, have a good show tomorrow, Ken! Knock 'em dead, or something. :wave:

Lets' see... other books on this subject:

Behind the Glass by Howard Massey

Good Vibrations by Mark Cunningham

Confessions of a Record Producer by Moses Avalon

A Year with Swollen Hands (out of print?) by Brian Eno

None of those are novels, though. ;)

You forgot All You Need Is Ears by Sir George Martin. :wave:

Originally posted by HiRoller:

I've read the MM Diaries and found it entertaining but the fact that he is (was) anonymous and you don't know if the story is true rubs me the wrong way. He also has a very negative point of view on a job you should love.

'Behind the Glass' and 'Hit Men' are cool.

I love to be rubbed the wrong way once in a while

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Originally posted by Jeebus:

I'm not sure whether the mixerman diaries are fact or fiction, and I'm not even sure who mixerman really is. However, I do know that he was a man who liked his sushi. He gets my props for that.

Mixerman has posted a couple of times with his real name on the PSW forums.

Klaus Heyne wants every poster to post with his real name, forum rules here .

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Good grief! I read some of it when he first started out. It was definitely amusing. I don't think I'd run out and buy a book, though...

I'll tell you what. You're in LA, right? If you buy a book, I'll bring it to you personally, I'll sign it, and I'll buy you a cup of coffee.

What do you say?

For the record, orbb posts regularly on my forum, and I didn't ask him to post this here. I think the main reason people aren't screaming SP.... is because this is a relatively on topic announcement of a product that was discussed to a great degree on these forums when it was free. I printed out all the threads from the various forums, and I needed 2 reams of paper.

The bottom line is this. If you didn't like the diary then you shouldn't buy it. If you did, then why not? Right? It's a hardbound book that you can put in your studio, your living room, or next to the toilet (careful for the spray!). Your clients and friends can read it while you're working. It can be a conversation piece.

Ooops. Sorry. Now it's turning into SP...

I'll shut up now.

Eleven Shadows. I'm serious. Email me to make arrangements. Whatever you do, please don't reject me publicly. I don't think I could take the shame.

Hey Craig!

Enjoy,

Mixerman

Although I was insensed he and everyone on the project smoked in the control room around hundreds of thousands of dollars of gear, no doubt making the studio maintenance tech cry when half the pots in the mixer undoubtedly failed, I still found the drama riviting, his humor nice and pointed, and my annoyance of drummers confirmed.

I would give my left leg to know who the band was so I could pick up the CD and hear how well he mixed it and how well fingaz edited the drums.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Mixerman, if I buy three copies, do I get dinner and a movie? ;)

Good luck with the book. :wave:

Philip,

If you buy 10 copies, I'll buy you a car. I'll personally deliver your car and the books. We'll go cruisin' on the Boulevard that night. You can give the majority of the books away to hot under-dressed chicks with tattoos in all variety of remarkble places. For tattoos are far sexier than birthmarks.

Hope you're well,

Mixerman

And so well behaved!

Paying respects to the moderator, chummy with the locals, Meow Meow Meow!

Normally, I just have no patiance for anyone in an internet forum who attempts to hide their true identity behind a pseudonym. I mean, what are they, a PUSSY?!!

But in the case of Mixerman, why, I just feel totally different, and although I may just be a cat, I really must say:

"I think I love you, so what am I so afraid of?

I'm afraid that I'm not sure of- a love there is no cure for.

I think I love you- isn't that what life is made of?

Though it worries me to say that I've never felt this way."

;)

Dooby Dooby Doo

Hey Mixerman!

My band is playing in L.A. at the end of the month. Saturday July 31st, 4 PM (yeah, weird time - it's part of a festival), at The Joint on Pico & Robertson.

If you show up at the gig with a book, and sign it for me, I'll buy it! How's that for some cross-spammin'! ;)

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Hey Mixerman!

My band is playing in L.A. at the end of the month. Saturday July 31st, 4 PM (yeah, weird time - it's part of a festival), at The Joint on Pico & Robertson.

If you show up at the gig with a book, and sign it for me, I'll buy it! How's that for some cross-spammin'! ;)

Gosh, Lee, just imagine...What the ? bringing Mixerman and me together finally! Buying each other drinks, giving each other high fives, swapping forum stories between songs. I even imagine that we'd go out for sushi after the show, and all of his anger would melt away like wasabi in the soy. Oyster shooters all around!

pOPStaR

Originally posted by HiRoller:

[QB]I've read the MM Diaries and found it entertaining but the fact that he is (was) anonymous and you don't know if the story is true rubs me the wrong way...

As may be obvious to some the likely reason for this (if the recounting is accurate) is legal issues &/or the avoidance of personal retaliation, although anyone involved in the events must recognize those others involved.

Quite possibly, like many "novels", it's a combination of events from different times.

Thats why I'm here.

Hi I'm archtop

I'm a reforming internet audio forumaholic

I don't know if I started "usin' " the same way you guys do.

simple stuff at the D.U.C..

then a couple tokes over at gearslutz, socially though, still thinkin' I can quit anytime I want.

but I find my self goin' for the harder stuff, my tolerance is raised, the simple D.U.C. stuff don't do it like it used too.I need more.

Then I got hooked on this hard to kick MM diary stuff, oye'.

man I was jonesen hard when I tried to kick it cold turkey.

Thanks to the support groups like this,I'm able to deal with it.

one mix at a time.

Archived