Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

At a Nevada Ghost Town...

I suppose before 2021 fades away, I should post some pics from the Night Photography workshop we did in October. For those keeping track, this workshop was first planned for May of 2020 and then moved to October 2020.... And finally to October 2021. I seem to have some great hurdle actually getting to Nevada after previously cancelling a workshop there with Lance K. in 2017 after my mom had a stroke and went into a nursing home two weeks before the workshop. I thought for sure this one would go down the same road, and seriously considered cancelling this one too rather than get myself onto a crowded 737 full of people coughing in my face. But I threw caution to the wind anyway and went to Nevada for 3.5 days of photography in perfect weather.

It was nice to shoot with Tim and Troy again after 3 and 6 years, respectively, and to meet Ken (our moderator here!) and George, the creator of our favorite flashlight, and Mike also, hopefully I have his name right!

Cars and vehicles make such wonderful subjects for light painting. Because they exist in an environment full of lights - streetlights, other headlights, neon signs, etc, etc - it is easy to justify colored lights of all kinds to aid in your photography. Is there a yellow light or something back there behind these busses? No. it's just me with my yellow flashlight and yellow gel in the strobe.

GYFV7p.jpg

Remember when jukeboxes looked like this? I looked over the selection.... The newest songs were from 1983 or so.

gMXHLV.jpg

The people who run this ghost town have dressed it up with dozens of old signs and props.

7b15OR.jpg

Inside the same barn that had the jukebox in it:

TPTzMg.jpg

"The new Buicks are in early this year!": Alternate caption could be something about the Buick Batman drove before he got the Batmobile.

4psvox.jpg

With Troy and Ken just out of view in the background, discussing the future of the hobby, the ghost town mechanic burns the midnight oil fixing some other ghost's Cadillac.

u8yJqo.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great meeting you, and yes, you got Mike's name right.

Troy and I were definitely just off to the right in the background for that one photo. We blabbed up a storm for about an hour, talking about light painting, art, night photography, the putting together of disparate elements to create something new, and many other related topics.

Regarding your images, they look GREAT. I have seen a really small sampling of your work, but so far, this is the best I've seen. It looks vibrant and the light painting illumination looks great.