Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

On recording a loudspeaker voice coil signal

What is a high-quality way to record a loudspeaker voice coil voltage?

I'm doing a project in which I will be using ARTA to measure the impulse response of a loudspeaker in different in different acoustic environments. The speaker will be driven with 20 W or less, probably by a class-D amplifier with non-grounded outputs. I'll be using the loudspeaker driving voltage for the reference signal. The plan is to use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (gen 1) for both the amp source and mic' input, and record with cardiod and blumlein microphone techniques.

• Is there a high-quality active or passive DI that can convert a non-grounded voice-coil signal to a balanced line livel?
  • Could I use a simple balanced attentuator, maybe 10 kohm, to tap the voice coil and drive and XLR input directly?
  • Can I rely the anti-aliasing filter of the recording device to filter any class-D out-of-band artifacts before the conversion process?

TIA,

-- bradley

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Based on this schematic (pdf) for a voice-coil line out, I bought a Jensen JT-11-FL transformer and a 1590B enclosure to house it. This will provide the reference signal for the impulse response measurement.

-- bradley

Looks like a fairly simple build too. Even a not very technical person (like me!!!) could probably figure out how to put that together.

This is an interesting project!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The project is to measure a set of impulse responses for a Leslie speaker. I measured a set in the 90s using an HP 3562A Dynamic Signal Analyzer. Those impulses were used for a software simulation of what was essentially a close mic'ed Leslie. I now want to load a new set of impulses into the simulation captured using a standard stereo mic'ing technique for L & R. I am hoping it will give a more realistic Leslie-in-the-room presentation.

The project is to measure a set of impulse responses for a Leslie speaker. I measured a set in the 90s using an HP 3562A Dynamic Signal Analyzer. Those impulses were used for a software simulation of what was essentially a close mic'ed Leslie. I now want to load a new set of impulses into the simulation captured using a standard stereo mic'ing technique for L & R. I am hoping it will give a more realistic Leslie-in-the-room presentation.

That is quite the project!!!

I do love the sound of a Leslie speaker although I found them challenging way back when I was doing live sound. One of the bands I used to work sound for had one.

At the same time, one of my favorite sonic memories is of playing an electric 12 string guitar while sitting on top of a huge Leslie speaker. I was playing through the speaker and it was swirling all around me, lush and awesome. :)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.