Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Robbie Shakespeare is gone :-(

I posted this on the Keyboard forum as those cats dig this dude as well, and as it gets more traffic , so my apologies for "dub-ble posting" it on the bass forum. :-)

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/12/09/robbie-shakespeare-legendary-reggae-musician-dies-at-68/

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/robbie-shakespeare-obit-1235006978/

One of my bass heroes. Only 68 years old. Kidney issues.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we may be dipping into the inaudible frequency zone as COVID lockdown made us drop an octave or two.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

He was one of those people's music you never knew you loved until it was too late.

Bass players hardly ever get attention. I was on a YouTube kick for a while watching people hear music they've never been exposed to before. They talk about the singer, guitarist and even the drummer, never the bass player. I always want to make them realize that at least 1/3 of the guitar and drums are actually the bass player, especially if there are only 3 instruments.

Someone should make bass player camo.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

He was one of those people's music you never knew you loved until it was too late.

Bass players hardly ever get attention. I was on a YouTube kick for a while watching people hear music they've never been exposed to before. They talk about the singer, guitarist and even the drummer, never the bass player. I always want to make them realize that at least 1/3 of the guitar and drums are actually the bass player, especially if there are only 3 instruments.

Someone should make bass player camo.

I've been both a bassist and (primarily), a guitarist. I do know the difference and play a bass like a bassist, no lead bass noodling, it's all about groove.

I used to call myself The Secret King when I played bass. If the dance floor filled (it did), because me. If the drummer thought it was a funk song but I wanted it to be reggae, it was. If the guitarist played in E and I played in F, he sounded wrong.

A great bassist like Robbie Shakespeare is worth their weight in gold. Swap out his bass line with a mediocre one and the odds that anybody will want to hear that formerly hit song are slim and none.

But you are sadly correct, no street creds. If bassists would just use their P-bass to crack some skulls maybe they would get more respect. :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

If bassists would just use their P-bass to crack some skulls maybe they would get more respect. :laugh:

Nah, we are above that. Cross me twice and I may take out a knee though. I would want someone to feel it every day and every step they take. Not using my P-Bass either, perhaps a Hello Kitty guitar just for the embarrassment factor.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

If bassists would just use their P-bass to crack some skulls maybe they would get more respect. :laugh:

Nah, we are above that. Cross me twice and I may take out a knee though. I would want someone to feel it every day and every step they take. Not using my P-Bass either, perhaps a Hello Kitty guitar just for the embarrassment factor.

The Hello Kitty guitars are mostly rounded off and probably won't survive the hit. A nice pointy Dean though... :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.