Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Why don�t cameras use smartphone technology?

https://photofocus.com/photography/why-dont-cameras-use-smartphone-technology/

It"s a question many photographers, including myself, have been asking for years. Why don"t mirrorless and DSLR cameras utilize smartphone technology and apps?

51437557528_94c1883b46_b.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 2021 version of Adobe Photoshop Elements.

I haven't experimented with it much but they touted new AI features integrated with the software.

It is my impression that this may provide more options than what is typical with current phone technology. I will admit that I haven't experimented with modern phone tech either but I did just get a 5g Android that takes nice photos. I could try them both if I was more active as a photographer.

The Adobe system allows a Save As for photos that have been treated with AI and also has selection features so you could apply AI technology to specific areas.

One application I can see for that is that a friend's daughter likes to model a bit and she is a lovely young lady but she gets nervous before a shoot and her face breaks out.

You could select the face, run an AI "anti-zit' filter and done. You might not get the same result if your phone applied that filter to the entire image (and for all I know, it might not).

Just food for thought...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I think that would be quite doable. I mean, if Luminar Neo is going to apparently going to be able to eliminate sensor spots and telephone wires, that should be quite doable. As it is, you can remove blemishes and things like that with a couple of clicks on some of these portrait programs anyway.

I think that would be quite doable. I mean, if Luminar Neo is going to apparently going to be able to eliminate sensor spots and telephone wires, that should be quite doable. As it is, you can remove blemishes and things like that with a couple of clicks on some of these portrait programs anyway.

One factor would be market size. The cell phone market is HUGE, the camera market is not very large at all. There is a great deal of money to be made via advanced cellphone camera features. "Real" photographers for the most part disregard such things.

Another factor is customer satisfaction. Cellphone customers are very receptive to new improvements.

Photographers are more like guitarists, a bit tech-phobic and reluctant to change their ways. I've seen too many rants about how somebody who doesn't just take straight photos is a "graphic designer" and not a photographer.

My rebuttal has been that the word photographer means more or less "writing with light" and these new technologies do fit that description nicely. This stance has not been popular.with other forumites I've inflicted with it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.