Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT-What you think someone would say is pointless

This is a common debating flaw that I can't stand. People supporting an argument will say "I think so and so, or some organization, or God... would say this, or want this".

You can't speak for anyone, except yourself. Can you? How do you know what anyone else would say or think? You don't, and you can't presume that.

The phrase that really kills me is "I think God wants us to do this". How do you know what God wants?

Speak for yourself. You have no authority to speak for God, or anyone else.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by TheWewus:

The phrase that really kills me is "I think God wants us to do this". How do you know what God wants?

Be careful, sir, you're threatening the careers of a huge lot of powerful people... ;)

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I've never heard anyone use this. Maybe a politician or something but not in a direct argument with me.

However, what I really hate is when you are arguing/discussing and you have made a bunch a valid points to back up your argument but the other person says "well, I still disagree" or "I dunno" without backing it up with any logic/facts/points.

Here's the deal: If you are able to prove your point, then your opponent HAS TO agree with you. Just saying "I still disagree" is a cop out. If you lose an argument, you must concede and agree with the person you were arguing with.

End of rant.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by TheWewus:

This is a common debating flaw that I can't stand. People supporting an argument will say "I think so and so, or some organization, or God... would say this, or want this".

You can't speak for anyone, except yourself. Can you? How do you know what anyone else would say or think? You don't, and you can't presume that.

"I think so and so, or some organization, or God... would say this, or want this", like "WWJD" means either following prior examples of another's behavior or extrapolating a plan for one's behavior by the actions, commandments, philosophies, or action statements of another person, god, or group. There is a flavor of wanting to act according to a prescribed way, but a certain amount of guesswork may be involved.

But the phrase "I think God wants us to do this" should probably mean "I interpret the Bible (the Word of God) as stating that we should do _____." There is a flavor of being commanded, regardless of personal intent. According to many Christians, the Bible tells us specifically what God wants us to do. So it's not like the person is giving an opinion- the Word IS God's desire. However, I suppose what you are referring to is when one's interpretation is debatable, such as, "God said 'Thou shall not kill' so I don't squash flies." Eh?

Archived