Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cymbals, brand loyalty or variety?

RABid

There was a time that I would only buy and use Zildjain. That was back in the late 70's and early 80's when there was not a lot of choice. I had a friend at that time that would only use Paiste. Now I have Zildjain, Paiste, Sabian, Meinl and even a couple Wuhan China cymbals. (sigh) I'm such a cymbal whore. If you count the Roland V-cymbals I have 6 brands. I don't know how I slipped off of the straight and narrow path. I think it was those deals during various trips to Gearfest that got me. Anyway, are you brand loyal or do you go for variety?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I used to own a few Zildjians, including a pair of K Zildjians hihats made in Turkey. You're right that Zildjians were just about all you could find.

I'm checking out cymbals now, decades later. I just want a few different sounds for studio projects.

I have a pair of Paiste 802 plus 14" hihats and I like them but I want other sounds. Tomorrow I'm picking up a pair of Meinl 13" hats that I bought cheap on eBay, just to see what those are like.

The hand held marching cymbals look interesting, sort of a hihat without a foot pedal, those might be fun. And I've smacked a few thrift store cymbals that were just junk, reformed pie tins.Sometimes that "garbage tone" might be good in a song.

Which has me interested in random metal objects. Some of them sound cool if struck, others not so much. I haven't found electronic cymbals to have the same sound qualities or variety of tones as analog metal stuff.

I have no brand loyalty whatsoever, If it sounds good I like it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have a pair of marching cymbals on the way - high hats without a stand. They are Paiste, made of the 2002 metal in Switzerland. 8" with leather handles. An eBayer had the pair listed for around the price of a single cymbal - $50.

Photos show them in excellent condition and the seller has excellent feedback so I feel confident that they will provide another vocabulary for recordings.

I'll check back in after I get a chance to try them out, they are supposed to be here Tuesday.

The 8" Paiste "accent" cymbals arrived. They are in great condition and sound beautiful. Not what I was thinking they would sound like, they are more like bells. If you line them up well they do get that closing high hat sound.

Because you hold them in your hands you could do some interesting stereo effects with a pair of mics, that will be fun.

• 3 months later...

"Played out" or 'time tested", I still enjoy my old As. Mine are a mix from different eras that all work sonically perfectly together, sound really good for a lot of styles, and were gotten inexpensively. No complaints here.

I did just receive a Paiste Alpha Metal Ride that has a great bell sound- I'm looking forward to learning more about that one.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:47 AM, Brian McConnon said:

I've never thought of myself as a brand loyalist as I've played various brands over the years, but as I look at my current lineup... its all Zildjian, a mix of Ks and As, save for one Dream stack. Sub-conscious brand loyalty maybe?

In my case I think it's because that cymbal sound was the cymbal sound of a lot of the music I grew up with, so that sound is "the sound" for me.

On 1/26/2022 at 2:32 PM, wraub said:

I grew up with, so that sound is "the sound" for me.

That makes a lot of sense. I've felt that way about pianos for years but never thought about it on cymbals. Of course it works both way. My first good cymbals were Zildjain and I have a preference for their sound. They were included with a blue Ludwig vistalite set and I always hated the sound of those drums. Now I tend not to buy Ludwig.

• Like 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

On 1/26/2022 at 12:32 PM, wraub said:

In my case I think it's because that cymbal sound was the cymbal sound of a lot of the music I grew up with, so that sound is "the sound" for me.

Yeah, I can see that. When I think about it, I've sought different cymbals, independent of brand, depending on the music I'm playing at the time.

• Like 1

The Paiste Alpha Metal Ride is a totally different thing from my old As- it's bright and aggressive with a great ping and a good wash, but it doesn't blend very well with the others. I'm trying to decide if I want to embrace the difference in the set, or maybe start building a "rock/metal" set. We shall see.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I currently play with (and have had the same setup for 20 years) Sabian hats, Sabian Ride, Zildjian thin crash, a second Zildjian ride that I also use as a crash and a small Tosco spash...I guess I am pretty cymbal brand agnostic.

Editor - RECORDING Magazine

• 1 month later...

Paiste. I love 2002, but have had to upgrade, or downgrade, etc.

There's nothing better for me than a 20" 2002 Medium Crash

Someone I know found a cheap Zildjian at a bazaar and all it needed was to cut a triangle. It doesn't sound good, so I guess it's an "effect" or when I've hit the others too much, although I don't hit the cymbals much. I've had a China and a Splash, and got rid of them pretty quickly.

I have a Paiste Signature around the same price as the 2002s I'd love to trade, but it's such a hassle selling online.

Oh, and I recommend the 15" 2002 sound-edge hi-hats.. I had to downgrade, but they have riveted bottom cymbal to avoid air lock.