Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The worst screwups related to music

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by sactog: [b]The worst screwup related to music: Micheal Bolton.[/b][/quote] that's a misnomer. brush up on your grammer rule #783: music and michael bolton are never to be used together in the same sentence unless prefaced by the words "bad," "contrived," "horrible," "sucky" or "really stinky poo-poo." :) -d. gauss

Well the worst thing that ever happened to me was after taking my girlfriend to a showing of "Being There". It was an art house theater. It wasn't THAT long ago, but long enough. I had a roommate who I had a hell of a hard time getting to lock up the apartment. I was the only one who really had anything of value, so it never really was important to him. It was raining like hell. Going to the show was a solution to what to do that night. My heart sank when I went to open the door, as it just opened; unlocked. Lights out. Sliding glass door in the back was also open and blowing the rain in. I lost 6 guitars, an amp and my incredible stereo system. Stolen by junkies. Eventually I recovered one: an early 60s Epiphone Broadway, in the style of an L-5. But I lost a '67 SG Standard. I had no insuraunce. My ex-roommate apologized. But to be fair, I assume the junkies knew or had some idea what was in there. I don't think a lock would've kept them out. BTW they were eventually caught, but had sold all the items; a long list of stuff stolen. The guitar I recovered was discovered not long afterward by two musicians. It was a well known instrument in the area. Hard to miss. White, fat bodied guitar. I had been playing all over town in some very popular bands so many folks knew it. It had been purchased by a well meaning guy for $250. That's what I had to give him to get it back, which I did gladly. The good side of the story: I was forced to buy better instruments. I got my babe ES-355 and a Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary. And later 3 Strats helped replace the others I lost, two I still have. I'm only now, this weekend, getting a replacement for my acoustic. I haven't had a real acoustic since, and this happened back in '82! But I'm getting a 25th Anniverasary Limited Edition Taylor. Yeah! Worth the wait.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

I have two, kind of funny more than a huge loss When I was in HS my band lost it's bassist. Since we had 2 guitarists and the lead singer could also play guitar (but didn't), the 2 guitar players agreed to switch playing bass during the show (we ended up doing this for about a year). After about 2 months of borrowing equipment from different people, this rich kid in my school actually gave me his bass and some other misc gear so that we could use with the band. Gear is in the guitar player's car, idiot parks where he shouldn't have and the stuff gets stolen. I should have know better, the guy treated his gear like shit. Well, I shouldn't be bitching about it, since the stuff was free, just annoying neverthless ;) Main biggest screwest (that I can think of), was buying a poly 800 2 years ago thinking of how cool it would be to own the 1st synth I ever owned again. Well, it wasn't cool. The thing sucks :) Never got much use.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b] that's a misnomer. brush up on your grammer rule #783: music and michael bolton are never to be used together in the same sentence unless prefaced by the words "bad," "contrived," "horrible," "sucky" or "really stinky poo-poo." :) -d. gauss[/b][/quote]

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b] that's a misnomer. brush up on your grammer rule #783: music and michael bolton are never to be used together in the same sentence unless prefaced by the words "bad," "contrived," "horrible," "sucky" or "really stinky poo-poo." :) -d. gauss[/b][/quote] Okay how about: Worst screwup related to music? Kenny G.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Well, I'd just moved to the Village, brand new to New York, and gosh it sure gets hot here in summer, and before I go out and wow this town with my terrified-hick-clinging-to-the-wall-at-these-gee-awfully-scary-clubs bit, I decide to leave my window (WHICH IS RIGHT BY THE FIRE ESCAPE) open. It was not stuffy at all when I got back, probably because my bro's $830 guitar wasn't there taking up all that room, and the breeze could circulate and stuff. Fun writing THAT check. Missed Elvis, did ya? I got to catch him TWICE, once when he was fat and once when he was skinny -- course I was fifteenish at the time, but I was thrilled. As was my grandmother, who came along for the ride the second time and loved it as much as I. Saw Sinatra too, when he was 77ish, and he knocked my freakin' SOCKS off. Course I missed the Pistols' infamous Longhorn Ballroom appearance ($5, I think) because they were just so darn SCARY. :rolleyes:

I was going to turn this into a massive rant into how I got conned by the record company I used to work for, but I think that the following will suffice: The "gentleman" (term loosely used) who was the label boss and the producer of a certain project we were working on, steadfastly refused to get off the couch and get work done in a timely manner. As a result of this, the lead singer for the project died of a heart attack about a week before we were going to get into the studio and finish the cut. It had taken almost a month to do the work that, in my opinion, should have taken a week. -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b] that's a misnomer. brush up on your grammer rule #783: music and michael bolton are never to be used together in the same sentence unless prefaced by the words "bad," "contrived," "horrible," "sucky" or "really stinky poo-poo." :) -d. gauss[/b][/quote] ok, you're right. that post in itself IS the worst screwup related to music :D
0096 2251 2110 8105

Archived