Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT... Safari is weird (was "slow")

G3, os 10.3.1, Safari 1.2.2, cable internet

I get the "Safari can't load 'blah blah blah' because it can't find the server" message a lot. I looked around and found some possible fixes, I cleared the cache, reset Safari, and made the favicon folder read only. And I disabled a lot of fonts, but that made things worse.

I know my local cable connection can slow down at times, but it got way worse when I switched to Safari.

Anyone else having problems (question mark) (my question mark key is busted, but I think it's unrelated)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got Safari on a 600 mhz G3 iBook. No problem at all.

Sometimes the internet is slow. Sometimes it seems a lot of servers are slow while others are just fine. I've switched to IE to see if it was a Safari problem and it wasn't.

If you have Limewire going at the same time it slows everything down.

Cable systems slow down when there's a lot of users on.

Originally posted by Sal Baloney:

He's using a G3 and he's complaining about Safari being slow...sheesh!

Ha ha, good one. I did buy it last century, so Khan is right. Hell, I was on dialup until six months ago, so maybe I am just bitching to bitch.

Someday I will have a lot of money so I can upgrade my system every year. Or every other year and then spend the rest on drugs. I mean beer, sorry kids, don't do drugs.

IE is not as fast as Safari on my computer, but I rarely had trouble loading sites with it. Popup block is off.

I haven't tried mozilla yet, I'll try to find time to check it out.

I'm with deanmass...Safari's just plain stupid when it comes to figuring out where it's been. Sometimes, it doesn't even try to find a web page, either...just sits around like an insolent teenager until you prod it again.

I've got mozilla, and I'd use it save for the fact that its pointer is very small, and the activity throbber is difficult to see, so you don't know if it's doing something or not.

Brakka, you really oughta bump up to 10.3.3.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Brakka:

IE is not as fast as Safari on my computer, but I rarely had trouble loading sites with it. Popup block is off.

What sites are you trying to go to? Post the links and let us try to get to them. Also, in the Safari menu, you can report bugs, (sites that won't load) to Apple. I don't know what they do, but what the hey.

I haven't tried mozilla yet, I'll try to find time to check it out.

What does Mozilla do that's different or better?

Sly :cool:
Whasineva ehaiz, ehissgot ta be Funky!

Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly:

Also, in the Safari menu, you can report bugs, (sites that won't load) to Apple. I don't know what they do, but what the hey.
They don't seem to do anything, 'cause stuff isn't getting fixed. I gave up on the bug report crap.

Well, for one, it remembers where the hell it's been, so there's no backbutton clusterfuck...
I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Originally posted by Sal Baloney:

I think you should do an 'archive and install' or something.

Your machine should run better than that, something must be weird.

Either that, or you don't have enough RAM...

320 ram, nothing huge but it should be okay.

I do need to reinstall at some point anyway, to partition the laptop drive.

Thanks

Originally posted by offramp:

I'm with deanmass...Safari's just plain stupid when it comes to figuring out where it's been. Sometimes, it doesn't even try to find a web page, either...just sits around like an insolent teenager until you prod it again.

I've got mozilla, and I'd use it save for the fact that its pointer is very small, and the activity throbber is difficult to see, so you don't know if it's doing something or not.

Brakka, you really oughta bump up to 10.3.3.

Oops, my bad, I wass on 10.3.3 and now I'm on 10.3.4.

The insolent teenager line pretty much describes things for me. Things are okay today, I cleared 2g on my hard drive (that's one fifth on this old thing) and updated to .4 and it reoptimized.

I'm sure a big part of my prob is local cable internet loads, I need to see if my neighbors can surf while I'm sleeping or something.

320 is kinda low actually Brakka. Can you add another 256?

And yeah, post URLs to sites that are giving probs.

Also, in the Safari menu, you can report bugs, (sites that won't load) to Apple. I don't know what they do, but what the hey.
They don't seem to do anything, 'cause stuff isn't getting fixed. I gave up on the bug report crap.
I have reported several bugs that have been fixed.

Not everything I have reported has been fixed, but some are pretty esoteric...

I wouldn't say they aren't doing anything, that isn't true at all.

Maybe you should go say hi to Dave Hyatt

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt/

Well, for one, it remembers where the hell it's been, so there's no backbutton clusterfuck...
Haven't seen any such problems.

The only thing that drives me crazy is it pulls from the cache sometimes when there is new content on the server.

Archived