Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Caution be aware when buying a used Mac M1

WheelHead

I did not mark this OT because many use Macs for DAW and instrument software. Be aware that if one purchases a used M1 particularly if it has the Monterey Beta that activation (even though it has a new reset and downloaded OS) may not work. I purchased a Mac Mini M1. It would not activate. It hung for like 20 minutes then put up a couple of different error messages. Then if one tries again, every attempt is on the log-in screen but the entered OS password does not work and every attempt in the setup menu has a log in icon. (like your name, 3 times or 4 times). So when it doesn't work one can try 'reset password with Apple ID'. That doesn't work either. It is documented at this site https://beebom.com/fix-computer-account-creation-failed-error-apple-m1-mac I did not have a 2nd M1 so I took to the Apple Store. Like the article says they do not admit there is a bug. It had Montery Beta. They were supposed to install Big Sur. They did not and before I left the store I asked for a monitor, keyboard and mouse. It did not work after service. I left again. (this was Firday). They called me Sunday and I went in and did the same thing with monitor, keyboard and mouse. This time it worked. I researched this a bit and there are multiple websites on how to fix this bug

WH

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Consider Apple Refurbished which are eligible for the same extended warranty as brand new.

My Apple Refurbished Mac Mini has been flawless so far.

I would not buy a used computer from anywhere else, especially from a private party I did not know.

I did purchase a couple of used Apple Cinema Displays, one from a friend and another from a store with a warranty. This, only because I wanted to retain and expand my own Apple Cinema Display setup after these were discontinued. I wanted an array of 3 displays and wanted all of them to be the same. I picked up mine as an Apple Refurbished and it was still an excellent display.