Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm acquiring a Chamberlin M1!

AWkeys

Hello all,

I never imagined one of these would fall into my lap but unbelievably, someone who lives only 20 minutes from me has a Chamberlin M1 in very good shape and is looking to sell it. I feel a little crazy buying something so rare, but I can't imagine an opportunity to own something like this to cross my path ever again. So my question is....have any of you owned one or have any idea where there might be some resources or documentation for the upkeep and servicing of such an instrument? A friend of mine is a tech who owns a Chamberlin 600 (what the Mellotron Mk II was modeled after) that he is attempting to revive, but the M1 is a very different and entirely unique instrument. The one I am buying was used on a lot of NY-area commercials in the 80s, apparently. I messaged Mitchell Froom on FB, but I highly doubt I'll hear back from him, haha!

At any rate, I want to be a good shepherd of this piece of musical history for as long as I can.

Thanks for any info!

Arne

Edited to add that I did reach out to Markus Resch at Mellotron.com, but the site seems to be a bit inactive. Also the Streetly website did not load for me, but I remember previously reading that they were not interesting in anything Chamberlin-related.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn.....jealous x1000!

First off, where are you located?

I would think you might be able to reach out to whomever has experience on Mellotrons as a first step?

I would also see if Patrick Warren has social media presence? He is in the LA area I believe, and played on the Michael Penn records that featured the Chamberlain. And maybe Froom will get back to you?

Also, there was one that sold on Reverb that referenced it had been serviced by Jeff Blenkinsopp at Analog Lab.

LONG ago and far away, a friend of mine had a Chamberlin. I don't know which model and I think I only heard it once or twice.

He toured Canada in the Cryptozoic Orchestra with that keyboard and married a lovely Canadian woman. Decades later, there was a messy divorce and I think the Chamberlin might have been sold or ended up with her.

And that's all I know about any Chamberlin keyboards. They play tape loops, no? It might be helpful to hunt down a tech or two that rebuilds vintage tape recorders and understands how to maintain and adjust the heads.

And that is my only suggestion.

I hope you get it up and running and I hope you post something here we can listen to!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have to strain rather hard to fully embrace owning >that< vintage a piece of gear. I've loved a few instruments like The Packrat. I also had the bloom removed from that rose once I understood the weight of keeping it all rolling. I doubt many players will open it up and work the wheel like Patrick Warren does so beautifully!

Arne, I loosely assume that you have some sort of creative plan for it, but maintenance, especially bought from someone else, has to be a large chunk of it. Its NOT a classic touring item! As with acoustic pianos, temperature & humidity are serious concerns. I wish I had a pragmatic suggestion. I almost feel like a G-Force salesman to repeat this so often, but you need M-Tron and its Chamberlin set. Its almost pure next to the grainier Mellotron sounds.

I've played a real 'tron, so I understand the romance that is, oh, let's say, not as easily accessed with a computer. OTOH, zero tape snarls is part of nirvana when you love the sound.

Tom Waits nails it: "The Chamberlin is a beautiful instrument that dies a little every time you play it." :eek::love: Good luck with yours!

kb047.jpg

"Well, the 60s were fun, but now I'm payin' for it."
        ~ Stan Lee, "Ant-Man and the Wasp"

LOL... Maybe the worse video demo ever.. At 3:30 her arms get real hairy!!!!!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Hello all, thank you for your replies! I am located at the Jersey Shore, which gave me a bit of pause in terms of housing the Chamberlin as to worries of it being subjected to the salty sea air. I'm only about a 1/2 mile from the ocean, but if judging by the cars in the neighborhood and the items in my garage, seems like I'm back far enough and maybe shielded enough by buildings and trees to only worry about protecting the old girl from heat and high humidity. I run the AC in the summertime and never open the window in my music room anyway... That said, I have no intention on gigging this keyboard, only to record with and maintain it. I'm perfectly happy with all of my Mellotron/Chamberlin samples via my Nord or the Streetly iPad app or MTron, etc... It just the chance to OWN one really overtook me. I've been enchanted by these devices since I was a young kid, before I ever knew what they were or how they worked. I've played several Mellotrons over the years but never a Chamberlin! I suppose it's my version of owning a rare, vintage car. Probably a bit of a money pit, but certainly cheaper!

So my friend and I picked her up yesterday, I ran her motors for about 45 minutes and got some sound out of her. Definitely going to need some overhauling - scratchy pots, faulty pitch-bend that just stops the motor, a couple of stuck tapes. I'm sure any or all electrolytics need replacement. But everything is there including some spare parts in her case that I'm not sure what they are for. Luckily, I managed to get in touch with Martin Bradley who was very responsive and is looking for contact information (also said that Streetly can make new tapes for me!) By sheer coincidence or kismet, a new acquaintance of mine just happened to work with Mitchell Froom recently, and he is reaching out to him on my part for any information as well.

Thank you for the idea of contacting Patrick Warren as well - I had seen that Michael Penn video years ago and was amazed by his inventive playing. Also saw the other strange video several times - it bears repeat viewing LOL!