Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If you're tired of Van Halen's "Jump"...

Time to share one of my favorite mashups of all time.
This is definitely a good one, I'll have to start making my way through the Wax library. I've been so immersed with the McClintock mashups... he gives credit to Wax Audio as his inspiration, and the Wax Audio guy has been giving props back to McClintock too.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• 2 weeks later...

Two questions:

1. How do they make these mashups? I imagine the track that ends up being sung over is the easy part. But to manipulate the vocals so they are matched to different music, I imagine they extract the vocal track then map it to a keyboard and play the samples except that is not this effective and many notes and sequences sound artificial, unlike these.

2. How do these mashuppers get away with this without setting off alarms for copyright infringement? Rick Beato cannot even show some part of a song without being pounced on.

I don't believe I will ever tire of Marvin Gaye's What's Goin On and Mercy Mercy Me but I never liked Heard it Through The Grapevine until I watched the mash up. I prefer the manipulated delivery of the vocals over the source track.

The Jump mash up really exemplifies how feminine David Lee Roth's behavior was in that video. Never liked his voice but he was a cool frontman even if he insulted his band mates at a (every?) ceremony. He was even a bit funny. Hank Williams Jr. was a big Van Halen fan. He even bought the identical PA system they used after seeing them live.

A different sort of mashup but bloody brilliant. Each video covers 50 songs from the year in question (1979-1999). 1986 is my fave but most are great listems. I have em all as part of my exercise playlist :)

[video:youtube]

:yeahthat:

1979 is my favorite, bloody brillaint, indeed. :cool:

Indeed you are older :D The 1979 one is in my top 5 - I noticed they're launching a 1975 one in next couple of days :thu:

That triggered lots of memories. It did not seem like 50 songs. When it first started and kept going with the main tune I thought there is no way they are fitting 50 songs if the first lasts this long. I guess a hoot, word, riff or line counts as a song and those can slip by you.

That triggered lots of memories. It did not seem like 50 songs. When it first started and kept going with the main tune I thought there is no way they are fitting 50 songs if the first lasts this long. I guess a hoot, word, riff or line counts as a song and those can slip by you.

That's right and the songs are listed in the description usually.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All the McClintocks are hilarious. My faves are the various Hetfield / Metallica mashups.

As far as how these are done - I"m guessing it"s a combination of a bunch of things. Ableton is really good at manipulating audio (pitch) without too many artifacts. He"s probably using accapellas sometimes, but for the most part they"re probably tracks where there is an attempt to remove the background. There is software that can sort of do that.. but it"s not perfect.

Where do people get the separate tracks from do make this possible? I"d love to have the stems from Van Halen.

Darren I was wondering exactly the same thing. There's a lot of great isolated vocal and instrumental tracks on this YouTube channel.

Vocal Remover

Just found this. I'm dying to try a mash-up suggested by a Redditor: Love Machine on top of Roundabout.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• 1 month later...

Looks like Hall & Oates killed the mashup with 9 Inch Nails, was taken down! (can't really blame them, it was brutal)

Not to worry - many more treasures in the chest! This one is so great, and the Village People never sounded better!

[video:youtube]

• Like 1

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had to revive this thread to include one more mashup.   I thought this was a Bill McClintock, but apparently it's not.   Anyway, I'm sure some of you remember our delightful thread about Sweet Home Alabama a few years back.   So, here's a mashup that grinds SHA and Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls together.    Not sure if it's in D or G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsKfdrWqW08

How do you guys insert the actual Youtube vid into a post?  I can't figure out how to do it.

1 hour ago, Floyd Tatum said:

I had to revive this thread to include one more mashup.   I thought this was a Bill McClintock, but apparently it's not.   Anyway, I'm sure some of you remember our delightful thread about Sweet Home Alabama a few years back.   So, here's a mashup that grinds SHA and Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls together.    Not sure if it's in D or G.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsKfdrWqW08

How do you guys insert the actual Youtube vid into a post?  I can't figure out how to do it.

good mashup!  Once you figure out how to paste the YT vid, you'll smack yourself for how easy it is.  Just paste the address directly into the body of the message.

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

17 hours ago, TommyRude said:

good mashup!  Once you figure out how to paste the YT vid, you'll smack yourself for how easy it is.  Just paste the address directly into the body of the message.

Thanks, Tommy.    But, I did paste the YT vid address into my post.   But instead of the video, just the text link appeared, as you see it in my post.    What did I do wrong?