Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New organ trio - fun!

Nice Sam! Enjoy, I've done a bunch of organ trio gigs throughout the years and have enjoyed them so much.

Once of the best things about this format is that if you have a problem with the bass player you look in the mirror and get to work fixing it. For me the most difficult thing is playing expressively with my RH while keeping the bass locked in the pocket with the drummer. Ideally the right hand melody can flirt with the time -- playing on top of or behind the beat -- while the left hand maintains the groove. Easier said than done but with some practice is worth the effort.

Larry Goldings is one of the best I"ve ever heard at this.

Here for the gear.

I suspect Larry Goldings got a lot of practice at LHB when he toured with Maceo Parker in 1992. Holding down the bass chair on organ in Maceo's band - quite a statement. There are YTs of him with Maceo at the North Sea Jazz 1992.

Here he is with Maceo Parker at Ohne Filter 1992. A nice Larry solo starts at 13:05.

Recently I've been listening to Larry Goldings on a Micheal Brecker album called Time Is of the Essence. Larry kills it! It's an all star cast. Great album.

+1 ... not only Michael Brecker on sax but also Pat Metheny on guitar, and the drum chair shared by Elvin Jones, Jeff "Tain" Watts, and Bill Stewart ... an all star cast indeed! Here's a concert clip of a track from that album, with Bill on drums, and a solo from Larry at 3:06 - 4:50.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU3A1SZt0KI

• 2 years later...

Wow, I had totally forgotten that I started this thread two years ago. What a treat to come back and see all this encouragement and spirited discussion.

After two years of intermittent writing and rehearsing, plus a healthy, healthy dose of pandemic- and other-project-related distraction, this trio -- now formally dubbed Pocket Bandits -- has kicked itself back into gear, with our first gig since August of '21 on the docket for tonight, and some others booked for the coming months. Hoping to start recording some of the original material we've been working on in the coming months as well; we have a nice setup in my home studio for recording in our practice space!

Feeling excited, proud, and a little nervous to hit the stage with this project again. Some of the more terrifying material has revealed itself to be incredibly fun after I put in the necessary time in the woodshed. Instrumental music has never been my focus; I've almost always accompanied singers, even when that singer is me. It's been a treat to stretch my musicianship with such wonderful players.

Including a few little promo snippets below. Give us a follow on the old Facebook/Instagram/TikTok if you frequent those parts of the internet. I feel lucky to have the support and enthusiasm of such a great group of keyboard players around me!

• Like 5

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.