Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Awesome Dell Deal!

Check out this deal from Dell.

Get a DJ15 for only $99 after $100 mail in rebate and submission of your old iPOD
Okay, so this means I can give up my $400 20 gig iPod, spend $100 more, and get a 15 gig Dell DJ. Yeah, thats a great deal. I spend $500 for a 15 gig player... thats IF I even get the rebate. Then there's shipping. In the end, I get a crappier player and lose 5 gigs of space.

Nobody who has an iPod WANTS to switch, let alone drop $100 to switch.

In summary, i spend $100, lose my ipod, lose 5 gigs of storage, lose firewire, lose THE best contol scheme of any player, pay for shipping, and end up spending well over $500, and for all that,

I get longer battery life. I see. $500 and a superior product down the drain for a 15 gig player with better BATTERY LIFE. Now it all makes sense.

Oh yeah, and when I switch over to the dell, I also lose the ability to play any of the songs I got on iTMS. I get to buy them AGAIN somewhere else. :o

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that it seems dumb. I assume their rationale is that an iPod battery replacement costs, what, $150? So, if someone has to spend $150 for a new battery, they might instead be tempted to spend $99 for a new jukebox. I don't think anyone WILL be tempted, though; iPod owners are extremely loyal, except for the ones who felt they got lemons. And as you mentioned, there's the iTunes angle.

And what does Dell want with a bunch of old iPods, anyway? Sounds like perfect fodder for conspiracy theories!

I own both a Dell DJ ( got it for free) and an iPod Mini. The mini, though lower in capacity, kicks the crap out of the dell for potability, interface, etc.

Dell is getting worried they are gonna eat a bunch of the DJ units. They will probably eBay the Ipods to cut their losses.. :)

Fischi - GREAT link! Thanks!!

Deanmass - Then I guess I can't go wrong -- either I'll be able to buy a Dell DJ for next to nothing (hey, I can put up with a bad interface if it's cheap enough), or get an iPod on eBay for cheap with a bad battery, then get a new one for $29. Ah, the things one learns from SSS!

Archived