Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PBS Series on Music Photography

https://www.pbs.org/show/icon-music-through-lens

Join us on a thrill ride through the amazing world of music photography.

Featuring in-depth and often irreverent interviews with the world"s best-known music photographers, musicians, gallerists, music journalists and social commentators, Icon: Music Through the Lens is an eye-opening, six-part, thrill ride through the amazing world of music photography.

Posing the question "What makes an image iconic?" the series seeks answers through the studio portraits, record sleeves, music magazines, live shows, exhibitions, social media, coffee table books and the fine art world, to end with another question: What does the future hold for music photography?

Episode 1 | On Camera

What defines an iconic image? This question provides the central theme for Episode 1 as we are introduced to some of music photography's greatest names.

Episode 2 | On the Road

From the embryonic days of the modern music industry, live music photography has provided some of its most visually striking and era defining imagery. First-hand recollections and eye-opening stories from those early trailblazers and those still devoted to capturing the magic of live music, paint a vivid picture of life on the tour bus and in the photo pit.

Episode 3 | On the Record

The evolution of record sleeve photography from its roots in jazz and early rock 'n' roll through to the highly stylized concepts and imagery of modern-day music genres is discussed by art directors, musicians and, of course, the music photographers responsible for some of the world's most iconic album covers.

Episode 4 | On the Cover

Music magazines played a pivotal role in elevating music photography to iconic status, providing a visual context for some of the world's greatest bands and their music.

Episode 5 | On the Wall

Tracing the journey from the early days of low paid assignments through to the first gallery exhibitions of music photography, to expensive coffee table books and individual prints selling for big money, take an in-depth look at the relationship between art and commerce.

Episode 6 | On the Net

Where does music photography sit in the contemporary, popular culture landscape? The seismic switch from analogue to digital is discussed alongside the rise and influence of social media.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, I need to check it out.

I remember when you would not be allowed to photograph a symphony performance unless you used a Leica rangefinder. They were small and very quiet.

It was the quiet part they were concerned with mostly.

It's been 12-13 years but I photographed The Nutcracker (what else) from a good spot up close and on the sidelines during the performance. The dancers showed up to the Dress Rehearsal wearing gym clothes, not understanding what "Dress" Rehearsal meant. So that session was compromised.

What I found interesting is that the artistic director had me and the other photographer hold our cameras up in the air and fire them. Based on the sound he assigned positions.

My quiet Canon 5d got me up close, the other shooter's Nikon D-300 got him put back by the soundman and in a theater that seats about 1,000 people, I could hear his camera across the room.

The people sitting in the aisle seats 10 feet away did not notice me to any extent.

A difference in build philosophy apparently, Canon was the camera of choice for wedding photographers at that point. Mirrorless has probably changed that game completely.

I'm not brand phobic by the way, I've used all sorts of cameras. If the lens is good (and most of them are) the camera is good.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

A point-and-shoot like the Panasonic Lumix (and others) might be a good way to photograph live concerts if photography is allowed.

They are small, auto-focus, and some have high power zooms too.

The goal would be to take pictures without disturbing your neighbor's enjoyment of the concert.

I love to go to the symphony, and sometimes the music gets quite quiet and emotional. A person talking, unwrapping candy, flipping pages in the program or other actions can be irritating to one who is trying to intently listen to every nuance of the music. A photographer could do the same thing.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

This reminds me, long ago I was working at the biggest custom film/printing lab in the Central Valley of California - Fresno based.

We got a phone call one afternoon from Washburn guitars. They needed somebody to go out that evening and photograph Hank Williams Jr. playing a Washburn guitar at the Tulare County Fair, a good 30-45 minutes south of there. They wanted a photo for their upcoming catalog.

I told them short notice doubled my day rate and it would be $200 for me to go get their image. I got the security pass at the gate and security allowed me to go into the fenced off area in front of the stage for 2 songs and take photos. I shot slide film for best reproduction. I got a sharp, clear shot of Hank Jr. strumming his Washburn and you could clearly see the logo on the headstock.

Washburn paid me, they used the photo in their catalog. I don't think they were very happy about the cost, I suspect they thought a free ticked to see Hank Jr. would be enough of an incentive.

Nope, that's business and short notice - gimme the $$$.

Somewhere I have some of those slides. I don't care, meaningless to me at this point. Too much film needs scanning of some sort, I just can't be arsed to go there.

I'll need to check that out, thanks!

Would be from around 1996, I have not idea where one could see a copy. I don't believe it would be worth the bother to be honest.

I searched "Hank Williams Jr Washburn guitar" and looked at photos, nada.