Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seven reasons I now use a Pentax K-1 camera

I have been photographing with Nikon for almost the entire time I have been doing travel or, more recently, night photography. When I purchased a Pentax K-1, some photographers raised eyebrows.

Why would I purchase a 2016 camera years after it"s been released?

And why Pentax, a brand that has been more and more subjugated to the margins since they steadfastly refuse to embrace mirrorless technology?

https://photofocus.com/photography/seven-reasons-i-now-use-a-pentax-k-1-camera/

2156.thumb.jpg.3a5a7e3e861b6ce97ed05f5a85b2c1e1.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the article, excellent reasons and the work does look great. Quality article, thanks for sharing!

I've been a Pentax fan for a long time but mostly for finding the lenses at insane prices at thrift stores or on craigslist. I imagine in So Cal you have to be swift on craiglist.

Anyway, I have a 50mm Pentax M 50mm 1.4 and it's beautiful from 1.4 all the way down.

I also have a 28 2.8, I think that one is an automatic exposure lens but vintage and fully manual focus. It's sharp, stupid sharp. I took a photo of my kitchen counter and you could zoom in and read the ingredients on the hot sauce bottle. Crappy "composition" not sure where it is now.

Either of those lenses would be on a Pentax K-1. They were pick of the litter when I bought 6 Pentax lenses at Goodwill. So keep an eye out!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I should try a little harder to find lenses, although I do have a couple of macro lenses that I got for cheap or free, so I'm already benefiting from that. I have a macro 50mm f/4 and a Nakumar 100m macro of some sort, I think it is. I don't do much macro right now. I've dabbled a bit a few months ago, but want to try again.

I should try a little harder to find lenses, although I do have a couple of macro lenses that I got for cheap or free, so I'm already benefiting from that. I have a macro 50mm f/4 and a Nakumar 100m macro of some sort, I think it is. I don't do much macro right now. I've dabbled a bit a few months ago, but want to try again.

Lots of people have older film cameras they no longer use and they donate them to local thrift stores or sell/give them away on craigslist.

On thinking on it, the 28 and 50 I have were part of a bundle. I paid $30 for the whole kit and then relisted just the camera, bag and zoom lens and sold it for $30.

Free lenses!!!!

As I mentioned, you have to keep an eye out (and be swift!!!) but the stuff is out there.

You can also get an M42 adapter for Pentax, Asahi Optical even made one (I have an Asahi somewhere around here). That opens up some fun lenses, I had the legendary Super Takumar M42 mount with the 7 elements but I found the the bokeh on the later lens looked smoother to me so I sold it. There were buttloads of M42 lenses made and sold under various brands, I gave a friend a Chinon 135 2.8 that is sharp as a tack, she adapted it to her Canon T2i which gives her an equivalent reach of a 216mm lens on full frame. I think I paid $4 for it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.