Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A New Chapter for Rhodes

Could be a tough road to hoe here.

Uh, that's row to hoe... :laugh:

While the visual imagery conjured up by those two statements is definitely different, I think their meaning is ironically identical.

In fact it may become one of my new standard mixed metaphors.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

While the visual imagery conjured up by those two statements is definitely different, I think their meaning is ironically identical.

For all intensive purposes. :wink:

Here for the gear.

Interesting that it says "Fender Rhodes" on the speakers, yet just "Rhodes" on the face plate.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

No secret. My MkI 88 plays like poop. It"s cosmetically lovely.

But the action is mush. There"s a bump mod that"s hit and miss I"m told.

Sounds great though.

I think there"s a market for brand new instruments that look, sound and play great. If they can make a reasonable price point and check those boxes. It will sell itself.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm surprised to read that your Mk1 88 plays like poop. WHEN was ii manufactured? I have a Mark 1 Suit Case Rhodes 73 whose action is still great. It could have been made in 1978, I would have to check the mfg date. I bought it in early 1979. Still a great sounding Rhodes piano that plays great.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I've owned three Mark Is and none of them played all that well. My most recent one, I did the bump mod on, and that helped a little, but still not great. The best one I've ever played was Chick Corea's Mark V which we had in the Gulbransen shop for a few days, getting the MIDI strip upgraded. Jim Wilson had gone through that piano and it played like butter, utterly amazing.

Intensive porpoises.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Intensive porpoises.

In tents and porticos

Intensive porpoises.

In tents and porticos

⦠the colour of time.

Here for the gear.

Can I just say:

Avion Studios Retro Flyer preamp.

That is all.

Not ready to pimp my Rhodes but that preamp looks tempting. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Can I just say:

Avion Studios Retro Flyer preamp.

That is all.

Not ready to pimp my Rhodes but that preamp looks tempting. :cool:

I don't have the Retro Flyer but Avion Studios refurbished my Suitcase preamp and did a great job. A respectable "David" to Vintage Vibe's "Goliath."

• 1 month later...

Just got a email from them today (I signed up for newsletter).

'

Where Vintage and Modern Collide

'Compared to the old pianos it"s got all the vibe and soul, but everything that wasn"t precisely built has been precisely built and with massive detail, I think it"s the ultimate collision of the vintage world and the modern world. I think what we"ve achieved in the last two years is going to blow people"s minds.'

â Dan Goldman, Rhodes Chief Product Officer and long-time Rhodes fan and player, on the new Rhodes piano.'

Seems to get closer.

Curious on the final product and price.

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

'It"s almost time for you to meet the new Rhodes,' and the recently formed Rhodes Music Group gives us a glimpse behind the scenes of the new Rhodes piano.

rhodes-bts1.jpg

I´m irritated .... keys and hammers look like plastic ... :confused:

A.C.

A.C.

Presumably they don't want it to weigh a quarter of a ton. No-ones going to point at you mid performance and shout "The key arm is plastic, my evening and whole life is ruined!' Well, no-one outside of Nashville anyway.

'It"s almost time for you to meet the new Rhodes,' and the recently formed Rhodes Music Group gives us a glimpse behind the scenes of the new Rhodes piano.

rhodes-bts1.jpg

A.C.

Could they be graphite?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hey folks. Hope you"re all well. Great to be here as always and glad to see everyone is super excited about the new piano!!

To answer a couple of points-

- the keyframe and keys are precision cut from the finest woods, chosen for strength, optimum feel/weight/balance and cosmetic consistency. The keys and frame are also cut and made more precisely than any other Rhodes previously.

- the hammers are precision moulded (all Rhodes have used fully moulded hammers since 1975, earlier pianos used half wood, half plastic hammers which were problematic for many reasons I can go into if required) but our new hammers use a new high impact material with much thicker axel pivots around the action centres compared to any previous Rhodes.

Cheers

D

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

A.C.

No-ones going to point at you mid performance and shout "The key arm is plastic, my evening and whole life is ruined!' .

Wrong !

My 1971 Fender Rhodes Mk I had "half wood - half plastuc" hammerrs already.

My early mk II was the same.

The back part of the hammer was plastic and that´s where the hinge is.

There were 2 small plastic nipples left and right side of the hammer, going into the little holes of the hinge´s cheeks acting as guides too.

These little nipples broke during performance because plastic simply wears out when performing all day over years and when there´s the mechanical stress of transport in addition.

The large ATA flightcase didn´t help much too.

I´d don´t need wooden keys urgently, but the heavy stressed moving parts of the hammer should be something more reliable than plastic.

Broken tines and worn out hammers were the main issues w/ my (Fender) Rhodes pianos in the past.

It might not become very obvious when the instrument is only at home or in the studio though.

A.C.