Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: My water supply is contaminated

I awoke this morning, and like most days, didn't feel like making my own coffee (I'm a lazy-ass bastard). So, I got dressed, put clothes on my kid (who also would not make me coffee) and we walked across the street to the little coffee place.

However, a sign on the door told us that due to the "incident" at the treatment plant, they are unable to serve coffee. Great.

So, we went back home and hopped in the car and drove a mile or so to the nearest Starbucks. Same sign on the door. I asked them what was going on, and they said that early this morning, people from the DWP came in and told them that they shouldn't serve to people if they didn't want to make them sick, since whatever is in the water supply needs to be heated to 300 degrees to render it safe.

Here's my problem: NO ONE HAS TOLD THE GENERAL PUBLIC about this. The grocery store has its meat and produce areas cordoned off. The gas station has some caution tape on the drinking fountain. But none of my neighbors were aware of this, and it's not on my local news on TV or online.

Well, I showered in that toxic goo this morning! It would have been nice to know. I thought that's why we had all these neat-o communication tools.

Anyway, we got some bottled water and I made coffee here, which I'm finally drinking now. But it would be nice, if this is enough of an emergency to shut down all local stores and restaurants that serve/use water, that someone would choose to tell us about it.

And if I grow a third arm out of my forehead from this exposure to whatever, I'm really gonna be pissed.

- Jeff

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, I think that the reason they're not telling people is to avoid any panicking in regard to the "t" word.

Which is really, really dumb. I hope they actually have a plan in place in case something actually did happen. I don't generally consume tap water (I live in LA and I'm not an idiot). But I do bath in it, I do bath my kid in it, feed it to my cats and so on. And I usually do use it for coffee, figuring that heating the water will kill the yuckies who live in it. But my coffee maker sure doesn't heat to 300 degrees.

Anyway, it's probably a sewage issue... equally disgusting and dangerous, but not as panic-inspiring as a terrorist attack.

- Jeff

We had a huge fire North of Santa Barbara last month. Set by the Hwy 101 road side. Fire officials still don't know who set it. Makes you wonder. Good luck.

GY

And if I grow a third arm out of my forehead from this exposure to whatever, I'm really gonna be pissed.

Damn... if you were single, you'd be in hellacious demand by the pr0n industry!

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

This is bad!

We had a scare once in the West Country (Cornwall) where the water board didn't tell people that their water was contminated and lots of people ended up very ill or dead in the OAPs cases and most people with blond hair ended up with green hair so whatever was in the water was almost radioactive!!!

I hope they sort it out soon but I wouldn't trust the water even when they confirm its safe just incase theres traces of whatever was in it.

Why dont you print up some A4 size warning letters and put them up in your streets lamp posts in case people haven't seen the signs in the coffee shops and petrol stations?

May save a few lives if this thing can't be killed by normal boiling.

Originally posted by Valkyrie Sound:

Jeff... you know I live only 10min from you... Do you know how far this goes?

Yuck...

Yuck is right.

No, I have no idea, because I've still not received any notification. But I just went by the coffee place and they still had their big sign up. Chances are, they'd like to be selling coffee if they could (since that's what they do).

But Valky, I'm almost certain you are on a different water supply than me down here. I'd be pretty sure you're okay.

- Jeff

Originally posted by YaCaBaby:

Why dont you print up some A4 size warning letters and put them up in your streets lamp posts in case people haven't seen the signs in the coffee shops and petrol stations?

Sadly, I'd probably be arrested for doing that. All the neighbors I've spoken to seem to have found out the same way I had this morning, trying to get their coffee or groceries or whatever.

- Jeff

Well, you could always drink your own pee.

For example, in a diversity of harsh climates, both very hot and very cold, people have historically turned to urine drinking to recoup not only moisture, but also other nutrients that the body depends on for vital functioning (such as salt, magnesium, calcium, potassium, vitamin C, and various B vitamins). And so basic is this behavior that the body will sometimes signal a distinct craving for substances rich in that nutrient.
Happy Friday :freak:

Finally, some news coverage...

Torrance Residents Should Boil Tap Water

TORRANCE Residents in an area of western Torrance should boil their tap water for about a minute before drinking it or using it for cooking over the next day or so because of a pump problem, officials said today.

About 7,000 customers are affected in an area bordered by 190th Street on the north, Prospect Avenue on the west, Sepulveda Boulevard on the south and Madrona Avenue on the east, said Shannon Dean of the California Water Service Company.

The problem developed yesterday morning, Dean said. Officials should receive test results by tomorrow to determine if the water is safe to drink, she said.

- Jeff

Originally posted by YaCaBaby:

and most people with blond hair ended up with green hair so whatever was in the water was almost radioactive!!!

It was probably chlorine, they add that stuff to kill bacteriae.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Damn, sorry to hear about your water problem Weasel. Are there any extra limbs yet? :D

When I lived in Mountain Ranch (dualin' banjo territory) we had well water. That water had so much sulfur in it, that everything that the water touched had a yellowish tint to it. Not to mention that it smelled like ass. We had a filtration system that got out most of the sulfur and whatever else was in that water. But it still stank and tasted like metal. I drank it and cooked with it...I'm still here, alive and kicking with all three legs and five arms :thu:

0096 2251 2110 8105

This is LA - posting signs at Starbucks pretty much notifies the whole neighborhood! ;)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I got a letter from the local water department the other day and it said that the department is not responsible for animal feces or radioactive material in the water after it leaves the water plant.

This makes me feel great. :freak:

Archived