Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electric Grand Piano Recommendations

Benjie P

The N3"s speaker system is designed to emanate like an acoustic. There"s low/mid speakers underneath and mid/high on top and they reflect off the lid which can be set half stick or full stick. There"s audio aux ins and outs underneath of you want to run it to PA speakers.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's important to them that it's in the body of a grand/baby grand for aesthetics...

The Roland GP690 is the only one in a traditional grand case, from what I"ve been able to find. The Yamaha N3X is shaped like a grand, but has a sleeker, more modern look. Between the two, the Roland is more fully featured and less money, but doesn"t have the true grand action. Sound-wise from what I"ve been able to tell from demos, the Roland still has that digital fleshy tone on the low end but the advantage of modelling is it has a lot more parameters to play with. The Yamaha may be more robust and in the long run may be the better investment, plus in a setting where many pianists may be sharing the duties, it has fewer bells and whistles to mess with and the action should keep the more discerning players happy.

So if I"m the restaurateur and had the budget, I"d go with the Yamaha. At home for the fun aspects, I might like the Roland.

Been playing my Roland V-Grand for five years now and I can tell you it sounds like an acoustic piano, not digital at all - or rather multiple acoustics, as you can change most elements of the sounds, including the hammer, volume, ambience etc.

You don't need to ever adjust it once its' set up, as it has a two stage lid, where the in depth controls are accessed at the second stage.

The Yamaha is NOT shaped and doesn't look like a traditional mini-grand as the Roland does, that would be a key reason not to buy it IMHO

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Keep in mind that internal speakers on digital pianos are designed for near field monitoring for the piano player and will not project very well in a club/restaurant setting. Crank it too high and POOF. Even with "50w amplifier".

Not on the Roland V-Grand, it is set up for an audience

"Unlike any instrument before, the V-Piano Grand"s built-in sound system employs intelligent multi-channel audio technology that fills the room with amazing spatial sound in which the player and audience may not be aware of the existence of speakers. Each and every component of the piano sound is allocated to the appropriate location immediately, changing fluidly and naturally based on the performance. From the player"s perspective, hammer-clicks sound closer, for example, and ringing strings are at a distance. Each element is allocated intelligently in real time to create a wide, multi-dimensional sound space. This sound image is true to the player"s perspective, as well as to listeners. Furthermore, sound spaces are uniquely created for each piano model. This amazing feature is unique to the V-Piano Grand."

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

it's important to them that it's in the body of a grand/baby grand for aesthetics...

The Roland GP690 is the only one in a traditional grand case, from what I"ve been able to find. The Yamaha N3X is shaped like a grand, but has a sleeker, more modern look. Between the two, the Roland is more fully featured and less money, but doesn"t have the true grand action. Sound-wise from what I"ve been able to tell from demos, the Roland still has that digital fleshy tone on the low end but the advantage of modelling is it has a lot more parameters to play with. The Yamaha may be more robust and in the long run may be the better investment, plus in a setting where many pianists may be sharing the duties, it has fewer bells and whistles to mess with and the action should keep the more discerning players happy.

So if I"m the restaurateur and had the budget, I"d go with the Yamaha. At home for the fun aspects, I might like the Roland.

Been playing my Roland V-Grand for five years now and I can tell you it sounds like an acoustic piano, not digital at all - or rather multiple acoustics, as you can change most elements of the sounds, including the hammer, volume, ambience etc.

You don't need to ever adjust it once its' set up, as it has a two stage lid, where the in depth controls are accessed at the second stage.

The Yamaha is NOT shaped and doesn't look like a traditional mini-grand as the Roland does, that would be a key reason not to buy it IMHO

???

v-piano_grand_angle_open_full_gal.jpg

FA134D7069584AB2BA33AF53E6D237B5_12073_2000x2391_28350f386ff26d0d2b0f630502afb350.jpg

Maybe similar from the front angle but the Yamaha is not a traditional shape at the back at all, is it?

Roland:51277535800_efdb082001_o.jpgV-Grand1-1024x1024 by Alan Pearson, on Flickr

Yamaha: 51277535775_86a5d8dbf5_o.jpgYamaha N3 by Alan Pearson, on Flickr

Presence or absence of this curve is the #1 reason for eliminating the N3X from the list?

I get it, it"s an aesthetic that may be important to you.

But there"s a long list above this, no? Action, timbre(s), speaker system, etc. We all accept these digitale aren"t an acoustic piano. There is no harp.