Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

AI Song writing weirdness�

AI generates songs in the style of artists by analysis of some 30 songs from their catalog.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/nirvana-kurt-cobain-ai-song-1146444/

[video:youtube]

' Nick Bryan-Kinns is director of the Media and Arts Technology Centre at Queen Mary University of London, and professor of Interaction Design. He is also a co-investigator at the UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in AI for Music, and a senior member of the Association for Computing Machinery.' - some of his thoughts on AI in music going forwardâ¦

https://www.sciencefocus.com/science/ai-music-future/

In the article he answers some questions on the usefulness of AI in this, can AI generate anything we would like to listen to without human involvement, can AI replace music makers and/or musicians, etc.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They did this years ago with classical composers and with enough data they can emulate a writer style. I would guess this why some composers write on instruments that aren't their main instrument or write away from any instrument to try to avoid limitation we subconsciously put to play our familiar patterns. It's kind of like professional songwriters who you give them an assigment to write something like would write and they can nail it. We all have our patterns we repeat in everything we do.

I hate stories like these. We like to laugh when they say funny things, but real quick they'll be outpacing humans with quality. We gotta figure this out as a species.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

... We gotta figure this out as a species.

We are basically doomed, we can"t even figure ourselves out as a species, let alone what advanced autonomous A.I. means for humanity. I remember last century when people would say that a machine would never replace a human being (e.g. chess, writing, music making etc.) But back then, we humans were the ones holding the machines back - they could only perform as well as the human made algorithms they were given. Nowadays, the machines can program themselves and come up with algorithms and solutions that stump even the creators.

I"m pretty sure the next century will see artificial intelligences beyond any human"s comprehension. Imagine one of those with full control over a genetics DNA lab, who knows what will come out of that lab.

I know it still seems like science-fiction to many people, but it"s a bit like going to the moon in the 1960s, it"s do-able, just needs the focus and will power of some agency, government or corporation.

In evolutionary terms, humans have only been here for the blink of an eye, and we don"t have any other species to measure ourselves against - so who knows what a tool making species normally looks like when it"s tools evolve beyond their native capabilities.