Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sony's iPod killer ... not!

Read about it here.

Let's see ... it won't play MP3s, has a 20 gig drive and yet can store 13,000 songs which means it will sound shite and it will only work with Sony's music store.

Nice long battery life though.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40334000/jpg/_40334731_walkman_body.jpg

I've had good luck with Sony products. I like their Trinitron TVs and their portable CD players. But this product is doomed for failure simply because it won't play MP3s.

Sony has ATRAC which, to my ears, sounds really good. I've got 2 of their minidisc machines. ATRAC is, of course, proprietary. And it would be fine to include in the list of filetypes, along with MP3, WMA, and WAV. But to exclude MP3 dooms this product to a quick death in the US market.

What were they thinking? :rolleyes:

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hey, Tom.

In answer to your question, they were not thinking. Had they been thinking we wouldn't be having a discussion about it. ;)

Sony has a bad habit of setting out on their own path and damn the consequences.

MD, despite its' use, has never gained the popularity Sony hoped for. Remember when they tried selling music titles on MD? At least Phillips, et al, saw the writing on the wall and gave up on DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) when faced with a similar situation. (BTW - I'm glad MD is still out there, but the thinking behind some bad decisions regarding that technology are as dubious as that which brings us the product now in question for its' obvious shortcoming of not supporting MP3.)

And this is hardly relegated to audio products. Sony's Hi-8 video won that war while the memory stick battles continue. That's one they probably won't win, though it doesn't matter since the technology for accessing every type of data card is so inexpensive that every type is usually supported by multi-format readers, so they dodged a minor bullet there.

Perhaps the best example of Sony ignoring the crowd for years was Beta format for home VCRs. They stuck to Beta for years after it was apparent that the cheaper, less reliable VHS format had dominated the market.

Interesting paradox. Sony is one of the bull elephants of consumer electronics yet they continue to be like Apple Computers by making proprietary technology that is incompatible with the bulk of what's available from their many competitors. :confused:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

That is odd... I understand the need to market an option for their proprietary format but if Ogg could not move people away from mp3s with free software and superior technology that has a four year or so head start why would Sony think that they could release a new technology that you have to pay for and have it stick? In this environment the last thing I would think that would work would be forced compliance and or popular format exclusion.

So my question is: Is this arrogance or simple miscommunication between some CEO at Sony and the development team?

Odd...

So my question is: Is this arrogance or simple miscommunication between some CEO at Sony and the development team?

Odd...[/QB]

As Neil says:

Sony has a bad habit of setting out on their own path and damn the consequences.
I think it is way past miscommunication. It seems to be corporate policy. This history heavily influences my opinion on the future of the SA-CD format, for example.

It is also aiming to boost use of its online music store Sony Connect, as its Walkman will play songs only in the company's own format
FUNNY... they think all of the customers are really going to BUY 13,000 songs from their site...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by 1:

iPod works in AAC format that seems to win over all the compressed formats.

1, Apple's format is proprietary too. ATRAC sounds great, Ogg sounds great... doesn't matter. What DOES matter is market share and open systems. MP3 is ubiquitous. It's all over the place. And, even though it doesn't sound as good as the other compression schemes, because it's everywhere is the reason Sony should make their players compatible if they want to try to compete in that market space.

WMA files offer half the size of MP3 files for the same sound quality (or better!) But, even with Microsoft's marketing prowess, MP3 is still the primary format for those who wish to exchange compressed music files.

We'll see how all this turns out. Apple definitely has a quality product in the iPod, but I think they really screwed up by not including a user-interchangeable battery in their design. Somebody please tell me what were THEY thinking? Somebody offer these folks a reality check!

Take care,

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

...Apple definitely has a quality product in the iPod, but I think they really screwed up by not including a user-interchangeable battery in their design. Somebody please tell me what were THEY thinking? Somebody offer these folks a reality check!

Take care,

My Nikon Coolpix 775 has the same problem. Uses a rechargable LiIon battery that must be charged outboard of the camera, but it doesn't take AA batteries. :confused: Sure.. I'm going to drop $13-$15 on a single use camera battery when I have a high quality rechargable. Give me the option to buy a few easily found AA's in a pinch.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Apple definitely has a quality product in the iPod, but I think they really screwed up by not including a user-interchangeable battery in their design. Somebody please tell me what were THEY thinking? Somebody offer these folks a reality check!

They're pretty easy to fit yourself. I can take mine apart in a couple of minutes and batteries are easy to find on the web.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by Rog:

They're pretty easy to fit yourself. I can take mine apart in a couple of minutes and batteries are easy to find on the web.

Yeah, yeah, Rog... :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, not EVERYONE is as clever, charismatic, well-informed, tall, successfull, rich, and entertaining as YOU! ;)

The rest of us mere mortals have to send the iPod back to Apple, lose all our music (if we don't back it up), and pay over $100 for the pleasure of getting it back again! What a ripoff! :mad:

I'll stick with my 8-track tapes, thankyouverymuch! :thu:

Hey Rog... Love ya, Mean it! :D

I will call it "the dark side of the Apple".

They do brilliant things, but there is always a dark side, that will definetly kill Apple's Share.

I have the suspect that inside Apple there are MS guys trying to destroy Apple

Sucking the brain's vacuum

Waiting for the Nuclear Fusion. More energy, less damage.

Originally posted by 1:

I have the suspect that inside Apple there are MS guys trying to destroy Apple

Why does there always have to be a conspiracy?

Most people or organizations that "think different" (sic) usually have a dark side purely of their own making.

Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos 61, Omnisphere 2, Ableton Live, LaunchKey 25, 2M cables

Apple definitely has a quality product in the iPod, but I think they really screwed up by not including a user-interchangeable battery in their design. Somebody please tell me what were THEY thinking?

I'm guessing they were thinking additional guaranteed profit. Ain't capitalism grand? ;)

Given the considerable success of the iPod family of products, the battery issue doesn't seem to have hurt the product that much...

I totally dig my iPod. I use it every day. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

One more thing the iPod has that the Sony doesn't: Apple and BMW just announced a co-developed adapter that allows you to plug the iPod into your BMW, and can then control your iPod from the BMW's radio, including song titles and info on the BMW display. That could be cool, especially if they go upscale and do it with Saab too. :D:P

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

This is a product only indulgent techno-illiterate granparents and maiden aunts will buy.

[in fact, I recommend teens and 20-somethings put the word in the pipeline right now -- no Sony Digital Walkman, Grandma.)

As others have pointed out Sony's implied claim that 48 kHz ATRAC is equivalent to 128 kbps just about anything is silly -- heck, it's practically insulting to the collecitve consumer consciousness. (I'm no fan of the ATRAC format as I've experienced it. I hate what it does to cymbals, acoustic pianos guitars, and, especially, saxes. I was greatly disappointed in the best quality my late 90s MD afforded under ATRAC3 even using a digital feed from a good CD deck. Still, it beats a cassette.)

Practically everyone here in Japan carries around an MD player or recorder. This is especially true of musicians. So I guess Sony is doing OK with the product.

I'm one of the only people I know that doesn't have one actually.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

"why would Sony think that they could release a new technology that you have to pay for and have it stick? "

This is pure arrogance, and I can attest to this, having worked with Sony--on and off--over the past ten years, in capacities such as broadcast technician and certified repair. They do not budge.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived