Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DGX-670, big push from Yamaha and their dealers this month

Getting dealer ads and Yamaha emails in the in box. Also popping up in targeted social media ads. Yamaha must be spending some advertising money on this model. Price is excellent for what it all can do compared to P-125 or ES-110. Quite a bit heavier though. Perhaps feature wise matching bells and whistles in the Casio PX-360.

[video:youtube]

$799.99 US

GHS Action

47.18lbs

Yamaha DGX-670 Portable Grand Digital Piano Features:

88-note GHS weighted action with matte-finished black keys

CFX Stereo Sampling delivers the majestic sound of Yamaha's flagship CFX concert grand

Virtual Resonance Modeling imparts vivid and richly varied expression to your playing

Super Articulation Voices intuitively reproduce natural expressive nuances of non-keyboard instruments

Adaptive Style accompanies your playing in real-time just like a seasoned musician

Simple Style focuses on bass and rhythm accompaniments to let your playing shine

Unison & Accent adds a doubled voice to your melody line and embellishes your notes with accented hits

Smart Chord lets you easily expand simple triads into complex chords

Dual Mode lets you combine two Voices together to create new hybrid sounds

Adaptive Style gives your music a nuanced, professional feel

Pitch Bend wheel for adding expressiveness to your performances

Mic input lets you sing along with your playing and record the performance

USB audio recorder-player: plug a thumb drive into the USB-to-device port and record

USB-to-host for connection to your favorite computer music software

Score Display scrolls MIDI song notation on the DGX-670's LCD screen

Bluetooth audio lets you connect your music player and play along with your favorite songs

Onboard multi-amped speaker system

Included music rest, power adapter, and sustain pedal

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As with the Casiotone, Jeremy See already has a review. Dunno if its because customers in Singapore get these products first, or because this guy in particular gets stuff first for review. In this case, he says in another video that Yamaha shipped it to him. As far as I know, he is not a dealer.

I purchased mine last week. Keyboard feels great! Sounds great! All the buttons and sliders are solid. Great color display. A few bummers: No stereo line outputs (only headphone out), No 5-pin Midi (only USB); No modulation wheel --> Organs sound great, but how are you supposed to speed the Leslie fast/slow?

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

I purchased mine last week. Keyboard feels great! Sounds great! All the buttons and sliders are solid. Great color display. A few bummers: No stereo line outputs (only headphone out), No 5-pin Midi (only USB); No modulation wheel --> Organs sound great, but how are you supposed to speed the Leslie fast/slow?

OK< but they made this price point somehow, right?

Audio in to use the internal speakers is by 3.5mm aux in or bluetooth. That's nice.

3.5mm phones out can be run to a stereo direct box if you have a PA speaker or two.

USB host devices are becoming more common if you need to connect to a 5pin MIDI only device.

Can you assign a rotary on/off with a custom panel setup? Pg 81 in the manual? Where is the on/off function assigned in their organ patches? Speed, is it possible to adjust ramp up/down or general slow and fast speeds in a registration?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

No modulation wheel --> Organs sound great, but how are you supposed to speed the Leslie fast/slow?

Can you assign a rotary on/off with a custom panel setup? Pg 81 in the manual? Where is the on/off function assigned in their organ patches? Speed, is it possible to adjust ramp up/down or general slow and fast speeds in a registration?

I don't own a DGX-670, but maybe I can point y'all in the right direction. I'm quite interested in the 670 myself and flipped through the manuals. Plus, several years in PSR/Genos-land help. :-)

First, the PSR Tutorial Forum has a DGX section. Folks there may be able to provide specific guidance. https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php

Pedal control of rotary speed is possible: DGX-670 Reference Manual, Chapter 9, page 75. The Parameter Chart in the DGX-670 Data List PDF shows if and where internal parameters are stored in a Registration. Pedal parameter info is on page 53 of the Data List. Looks like the pedal assignments are saved. If you're new to this product line, it's good to learn about Registrations as they take the place of presets in synth-like instruments.

Now the tricky part. Yamaha use a few different different methods for programming organ voices. The DGX-670 has "regular" organ voices and "Super Articulation" voices. The note on page 77 of the Reference Manual suggests that rotary is sampled into the Super Articulation voices while the regular organ voices use a DSP effect (algorithm). The SA voices probably switch between a fast multi-sample and a slow multi-sample. They probably don't ramp up and down. DSP effect rotary should ramp up and down as the algorithm is lifted from Yamaha synths and arrangers. Unfortunately, the 670 does not have a unified rotary speed control setting -- it depends on the type of voice. That will make configuring speed control a little more difficult.

Hope this helps -- pj

As to actually changing the rotary ramp up or down speeds, the DGX-670 does have a way to do this. Check out pages 69 and 70 in the DGX-670 Reference Manual.

The rotary speaker algorithms are the same as the Yamaha arrangers and synths. The rotary effect parameters are shown on page 40 of the DGX-670 Data List PDF.

The 670 (and arrangers) store customized DSP effect parameters in so-called "User Effect" memory locations. On Genos, I store my favorite rotary setting in a User Effect. The bad news: Only a few memory locations are provided for each major effect type (reverb, chorus, or variation/insertion).

All the best -- pj

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Musicale here after long absence!

So just bought one of these mostly for the lake house. I am also interested in adjusting the Rotary effect, mostly because it immediately goes from slow to fast which is too dramatic. So does anyone know what category the Rotary is in? I think Chorus. I did a quick look at the parameters, and they were things like LFO frequency, various EQ"s so I wonder which parameter would control the time from slow to fast. Anyway any further discussion is appreciated. I will continue the knowledge build and press on, I thought I would put this out to the gallery.

It is a fine board for playing around with with all the styles etc. I really bought it for a value price for the piano sounds that I think are very good. So not necessarily a great gigging board it"s more of a pretty good toy.

Musicale