Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stand to create B3 feel from DP and Clone

Since I get very OCD about stands, and since I also build stuff with wood sometimes...holy cow would I stay away from that overpriced shop-class beast. I guarantee the (apparently only glue?) that holds those rails to the groove come out the first time you put the thing in your car. There is nothing securing either lateral or vertical movement. It sits on a Z stand with only those plywood crossbars to support it and the keys...and that's the ES110 tier. Your Mojo would be relying entirely on the integrity of those two rails. IMO the best use for that would be as a template to craft a better version out of.

/voice of doom

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, but....with a hatch/SUV/wagon, the equipment goes in the "long" way, not the wide way. Only in cars with boots would it go in sideways. Which is how I realized I'd never had a thought about the vertical measurement of any equipment; it all just goes straight in, parallel with the sides of the car.

So you load gear longitudinally not transverse. When I had an estate/station wagon, the load space was approximately square: a little under 1m/40in on each side, so makes no difference. Do you fold the back seats?

Cheers, Mike.

Since I get very OCD about stands, and since I also build stuff with wood sometimes...holy cow would I stay away from that overpriced shop-class beast. I guarantee the (apparently only glue?) that holds those rails to the groove come out the first time you put the thing in your car. There is nothing securing either lateral or vertical movement. It sits on a Z stand with only those plywood crossbars to support it and the keys...and that's the ES110 tier. Your Mojo would be relying entirely on the integrity of those two rails. IMO the best use for that would be as a template to craft a better version out of.

/voice of doom

+1... and to each their own, but I don't find any of those designs to have a pro look to them.

Here for the gear.

So you load gear longitudinally not transverse. When I had an estate/station wagon, the load space was approximately square: a little under 1m/40in on each side, so makes no difference. Do you fold the back seats?

Cheers, Mike.

Yes, longitudinally, and nicely put. One or both of my back seats are always folded down. Plus in my current car (Godspeed Mazda CX-3, we hardly knew ye) the hatch space is nigh on useless otherwise.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

It seems I had correct stand all this time. My 30 year old Apex. It works with my DIY for a music stand. Years ago I was in Ikea and bought this BRADA Laptop support. I remember thinking I might be able to use this in a musical way. Anyway, it sits against unused top of Apex stand. The bottom rests stable on corner of Mojo 61. It's black and is very stealth.

My other need for this to work best is to either buy the "still available," 18" tiers or I am going to Home Depot. I remember they have assortment of metal braces, etc. I'm hoping I can find 18" long, 1" wide and strong enough and some zip ties. It does have to be cheap or I'll buy the tiers which are $40.

The Apex does work well at getting both boards pretty close and like I said in my other thread on this, The ES110 has no screen and minimal buttons located at far left.

:abduct:

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

If you can find the 30-year old mic adapter for the 30-year old Apex (I have one, but sorry not selling) then you can attach all sorts of accessories via 3/8in or 5/8in threads.

Cheers Mike.

I guess keyboard stand advances are not as quick as the keyboards they support.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

This can be made for you if you like it. PM me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/283921599052

Ask and you will receive! That is exactly what I mean. It looks great when both keyboards are similar size.

I'm using my old Apex and I just ordered a set of longer tiers for $40. Don't be surprised if you see PM from me sometime soon

Thanks

After years of looking at crazy expensive wooden contraptions for this purpose, this is the only one I"ve ever seen that is priced fairly and at a level that would make sense relative to what a regular stand cost. Dig those slats, too, for keeping the weigh down. Rustar, what is the approximate weight? Just curious!

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

This can be made for you if you like it. PM me. https://www.ebay.com/itm/283921599052

Nice. What does it weight?

Any thoughts about a version where the four pieces are not permanently attached, so you could move it in 4 pieces and assemble it at the gig? Obviously it would allow it to fit in many more cars. But figuring out how the user would be able able to quickly (and repeatedly) attach and unattach the pieces would be an engineering challenge.

Also, any thoughts about offering an attachable back panel?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I bought 18" tiers for my 30 year old Apex stand but sadly they didn't fit. All the pics had me convinced they would work. :nopity:
Do you have the special SuperClamp that will take the 18inchers? They won't fit in the normal clamp. I have the old-model Apex and I bought a SuperClamp and 18in tiers and they fit fine.

Cheers, Mike.

I bought 18" tiers for my 30 year old Apex stand but sadly they didn't fit. All the pics had me convinced they would work. :nopity:
Do you have the special SuperClamp that will take the 18inchers? They won't fit in the normal clamp.

I think you'll be fine, I have the old-model Apex and I bought a SuperClamp and 18in tiers and they fit fine.u

Cheers, Mike.

I returned them (18" tiers.) Before I purchased I looked at pics of Super Clamp but it looked like the clamps on my old Apex. I understand Ultimate Support wants to sell new stands but if they had a Legacy page on their site I could of been sure. I tried calling Ultimate Support support today before returning but I couldn't get a live person. I wasn't going to buy a new clamp unless I knew it would fit so I'm back to square one.

Do these companies have keyboard players consulting with their engineers? Take the Hercules KS210B. How much brain power did it take to develop this stand?

• 1 month later...

When Dave Chesavage (OB Dave) stopped manufacturing his excellent midi drawbar unit he was left with lots of left over slide knobs:

http://oceanbeachdigital.com/index.html

Funny story is I bought them from an ebay listing not knowing the seller was OB Dave. When I messaged him about all the interest (on the Cantabile forum) he told me the story of why he has them.

Here's the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283601577521?hash=item4207f8a631:g:tEUAAOSwj85YMmBX

I actually routed them out slightly to fit the Axiom:

My search for the perfect stand has been endless. I am often baffled at how wrong companies get this.

I want: EASY portability, quick set-up/tear-down, reliable support, and, most of all, extreme adjustability for both levels, including a stand that is still useful if I only use one level. That is, I don't want a monstrosity for a single board gigs, and flip-side I don't want a flimsy base with a contrived add-on for double-board ones. I also don't want the stand manufacturers to tell me how much space I have to have between boards. Getting that right is the whole reason for the stand, basically.

The closest I've ever come is a drum rack. They are light and infinitely adjustable. But it's just too fussy in the long run. Second-closest is the Stay column stand, which is pretty close, but that's just too much stand most of the time.

All the rest either tear up your cars or fingers, don't fold flat enough for practical transport, or are "good in concept" but impractical in execution. If someone would develop a better X-stand with a telescoping second level, that might do it.

That Black Panther system is just the K&M 18820, right? If they solved the second tier, it might be worth seeing if it can be modded to replace the utterly useless K&M Stacker, AKA Tierzilla, the Monster That Ate My Money.

Have you tried the K&M Spider stand? Easiest setup and tear down of any stand, well built, breaks down to a single piece. Expensive, though-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

A simple two controller shell I made several years ago which will sit on any stand. An afternoon project with a table saw. Lightweight, looks ok and both controllers can slide in and out if required.

That looks great - what kind of wood did you use? If you happen to have more photos I would be very interested.

A simple two controller shell I made several years ago which will sit on any stand. An afternoon project with a table saw. Lightweight, looks ok and both controllers can slide in and out if required.

That looks great - what kind of wood did you use? If you happen to have more photos I would be very interested.

Found an old picture taken with a crappy camera with it on a stand. (I built this approx. 15 years ago.) I've used it various ways over the years, but I originally built it to control a Motif ES rack & JV-1080 as a lightweight rig.

The sides are 3/4" particle board covered in black tolex with plastic tee moulding around the edges.

The rest is 1/2" plywood.

I used aluminum L channel on the sides to support the top controller.

All the material I used was "junk" I had laying around, so it didn't actually cost me anything to build.

It's solid & lightweight with lots of room inside to hide excess cables, power strip, wall warts, etc.

2165.thumb.jpg.d3267a79d066f6aac7eeabcedfb890dd.jpg